Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,852 times

Advertisements

Yesterday afternoon, DH and I got home around 5:30 pm after running some errands. Naturally, Tonka was very upset with us because he usually gets his dinner right at 5 pm. Sometimes I think this dog can tell time - if it's 5:01 PM and he hasn't been fed yet, he starts rolling his ceramic dishes around the kitchen.

We had some groceries to put away, so my husband took Tonka out to take care of business while I got everything organized. We didn't have that much, so I figured I would have plenty of time to put everything away and feed Tonka when my husband brought him back in.

Evidently, Tonka was very hungry, so he did what he needed to do and pulled my husband back up the front steps in about 2 minutes flat. We have a glass storm door, and we had left the front door open. Tonka could see me puttering around the kitchen.

Well, it was HOT yesterday in Charlotte, so DH was wearing shorts and flip flops. Tonka pulled him up the stairs and was really anxious to get back into the house for his supper. Somehow, as DH was fiddling with the leash and the door, Tonka pushed in front of him right as he was opening the storm door.

Well, of course, this whole scenario just had perfect timing - right as DH was opening the door, Tonka pushed to get inside, causing DH to lose his grip on the door handle. The force of Tonka storming through caused the storm door to bounce over DH's foot, scraping a layer of skin off the top of it, and ripping half of his big toenail off. Gore ensued, triage established in our bathroom.

I guess the moral of the story is - don't be late giving your beagles their dinner! Moral #2 is we need to have a refresher on manners - we need to make Tonka sit before allowing him in.

What injuries have you sustained as a result of your dog? Mearth, didn't you have a foot injury caused by yours?

P.S. - Poor Tonka was penitent after he ate. He sat by my husband and rested his head on his good leg. I swear if a dog could talk he was saying "I'm sorry daddy!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Poor Tonka and poor DH. When my house was being renovated, the gate was off the back yard for access for trucks, etc. so I had stake-out chains out front. As i took the 2 dogs I had then down the steps, one of them (who was relatively new) saw the dog next door. She pulled me over in that direction FAST and I tripped on something in the yard. I fell face-first, splat, on the ground, letting go of both leashes. My glasses made quite an indentaiton on my nose and forehead and my nose was bleeding a lot. As I lay there crying and bleeding, one dog came back and I could grab his leash-he's a runner normally. My neioghbor was outside fortunately and came to help me up and got me an icebag for my nose. They also corralled the dog who pulled me over.

All in all, a bad time!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I had a neighbors dog attack me and one of my Goldens one time. Chevy was not about to let the dog near me....I foolishly raised my leg (thigh) to step in between them...but just as I did, Chevy lounged at the dog and bit me instead of the dog on the thigh....I got raked pretty bad, but knew if I went to the Dr. it would be recorded as a dog bite. Just butterflyed the wound myself. I still have a 5-6 inch scar on my thigh to prove it!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM

269 posts, read 1,055,082 times
In the summer, I'm generally barefoot inside the house. My rottweiler has huge paws (we call her paws bear claws actually). She steps on my poor feet at least three times a day! She's kind of clumsy and obviously doesn't mean it, but it sure hurts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs