Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,382,216 times

Advertisements

Might there be a reliable teenager in your neighborhood who could come over after school at 3 ish? Even just a 15 minute break in the back yard to potty and chase a ball for a bit would be a help. It would be cheaper than a professional dog walker. The other possibility is a doggy dog so Baxter could go out when he wants, after he gets to the point that you're comfortable with him having free access to the rest of the house.

Thanks for saving him. Remember that even 10 hours a day alone beats not being alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,955,906 times
I have a question for you: Can YOU hold it all day?

Please have someone come and walk your dog. Leaving him in the yard isn't a good idea, for all the reasons that have been discussed above, and more. It's simply not safe.

Find a dog walker. I'm sure some teenager in your area would love to earn a few dollars each day to walk your dog.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 290,503 times
Shagbark Hickory - My actual work hours are 8:30 am to 5:30 pm with a 1 hour lunch, which is a standard 40 hour work week. Plus I get every other Friday off, so every other week I have a 32 hour work week. The 10 hour days factor in commute time (which I am actually overestimating) and lunch. I guess the reason I said 40 hours is because most people don't factor in such things when saying how much they work. You're right though; it is 50 hours away from my pet.

Viralmd - Actually yes, I can hold it all day. At my previous job, I worked 6:30 to 4:30 as a teacher and would often hold it because teachers don't get enough time to run to the bathroom. Thanks for the perspective though because most people I know could not hold it.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. Some of it (not all!) is pretty discouraging. Many people work the same if not more hours; so, by some logic here there would be a lot less homes for dogs. This is our first dog ever and I felt that I had done research before getting the dog and people said that the dog would be fine with even just 1 walk a day. The no kill shelter I got him from asked about my work hours and seemed fine with recommending 2 walks a day. I don't really trust teenagers (maybe from my previous experience as a teacher!), so I will have to look into a professional dog walker for the 2-3 days I can't come home at lunch.

Last edited by janeatte; 07-16-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM

14 posts, read 290,503 times
SeeBee - Here's a picture It's actually from the first day I saw him at the shelter.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 AM

269 posts, read 1,055,359 times
Cute dog! He looks like a great guy - no wonder you adopted him!

A couple of suggestions: Most calm dogs can hold it for 8-10 hours a day. If you plan to be gone 10 hours/5 days a week, then you need to one of two things: Exercise him in the morning (jog, play fetch, hike, etc - at 30 minutes of brisk activity) and repeat in the afternoon, OR hire a dog walker to walk him for an hour midday.

My 90lbs dog can hold it forever but my 50lbs dog cannot. She can make it around 6-7 hours (and we keep her in a crate!). You can test this on a day off - see how long it takes before you dog "acts" like he needs to go out (following a long morning walk of course). My big dog will not pee until she is taken on her afternoon walk. My little dog will pee around noon (she goes to the door).

And finally, NEVER leave your dog unattended in the backyard. You may come home to a dead dog!!! People do horrible things to animals and dogs will die in the heat/cold. Your dog may also develop aggression/anxiety by being forced to be outside all day (as opposed to being safe in your house). And of course your dog could escape, get hit by a car, get kidnapped and used as a bait dog, or just never his way home (and you would never know)!

It sounds like you want what's best for your dog - best wishes with your new pup!!
PS- a neighborhood kid/college student make great/cheap dog walkers!!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,501 times
My 70lbs GSD and my neighbor's 80 lbs Airedale can hold whole day (My GSD from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm; Airedale from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm). I actually let my GSD out during my lunch break and right after 5:30pm. But recently due to hot weather, she refuses to go out. If I put her on leash and drag her out, she sits in front of door and refuses to move and gives me that "please leave me alone" look. (it is funny!! She was an outdoor dog before she was given up. When I got her three months ago, she had some separation anxiety behavior. Now..) She happily goes outside and walks with me in early morning and late in the evening. I guess her outdoor experience in hot summer made her hate hot weather.

Last edited by LingLing; 07-16-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 08:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeatte View Post
SeeBee - Here's a picture It's actually from the first day I saw him at the shelter.
OMG, he's adorable!!! I love him!

As for advice: I work from home AND have a fenced-in backyard, so Artie is at my beck and call, whether it's to go for a walk or be let out back to play.

However, when we do go somewhere for the day, I always get a dog walker to come take him out once or twice while I'm away. Artie's last walk is at 9pm and his first walk is at 6am (9 hours), so I know he can hold it overnight, and would likely be able to hold it during the day too. However, if you can swing a couple of $$ to have someone come walk Baxter (love the name too!) mid-day, I think he'd be grateful -- and you wouldn't feel bad/guilty.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,368,033 times
SeeBee looks like a very happy dog, even when at the shelter. I have always hired a dog walker. You never know when traffic will be bad or you have to stay late at work. It also helps your dog to be more socialized. For several years, I had a local high school student who I knew for a long time and was very dependable. However, I prefer an adult who actually has a dog walking business. You might also have a neighbor who would not charge you but would like the company of a dog while he/she takes a walk. Just make sure it is someone who is trustworthy.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,744 times
He's a handsome boy! Anybody else do the 'baby talk' thing in their head when they saw the picture?
I'm just a sucker for shelter dog happy endings. You and Baxter are lucky to have found each other.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Anybody else do the 'baby talk' thing in their head when they saw the picture?
Are you kidding? Of course!

I also imagined playing with his toes and nuzzling him behind the ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs