Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times

Advertisements

This is partially a vent, but also a "what other choice did we have" post.

Our neighbors were given a free dog (terrier mix) in March. They got the dog so their 8 year old daughter would sleep in her bed. They had the dog for a week and then they took off on vacation for 7 days, leaving the new puppy with someone else. They didn't take the puppy to the vet for at least 2 weeks for it's inital shots and deworming. The parents, family doctors, work 12+ hours a day and leave the dog in the house unattended without a pet sitter coming in to take it out to wiz or for a walk. They put a pullup on it for the first several weeks. The daughter treats this dog like just another one of her toys ... play for a little while, then done, leave me alone. It's now a submissive pee-er. Being a terrier, it digs digs digs. It's gotten into our fenced yard when we've had company over. We end up having to take it back to them ... they make no move whatsoever, don't even thank or apologize. They think that by putting planks or sacks of cement around their fence line will take car of the problem ... but she still digs (SHE'S A TERRIER!). About the only thing this family has done is take the dog to the groomer to doll her up ... no training whatsoever. I mentioned the submissive wizzing, now, since the dog is cooped up all day, it's starved for attention and if it hears people outside, it goes nuts. When she gets out, she's not vicious, she becomes a "pet me pet me, love me love me", jumping wizzing machine. Did I also mention that do not have a collar, so no tags.

Ok ... so the neighborhood has been putting up with this poor attention starved animal for a few months. On Wednesday night, I came home with my 3 kids (my kids are terrified on this dog, btw ... when they first got her, she was very aggressive and nippy ... I know, typical puppy). I opened my door and my son started screaming. I looked down and there was the dog trying to get in. My husband and neighbor were trying to corral the dog to no avail ... she's fast! My neighbor tried to put her back in her fence, but she got out again. I did the same, in vain. My husband knocked on the door, rang the doorbell, I tried to call them ... no answers at all. They weren't home! There were newspapers piled up on the front porch .. for all intensive purpuses, we thought they were out of town. We had 2 choices, call animal control, or let her run. My neighbor told me to let her run, but I didn't like that idea at all (she's not fixed and who knows where she'd go .. get run over, attacked by a bigger dog). So we called animal control. They came and got her. The next morning (Thursday), my husband called our neighbors and explained what happened and why and apologized. They thanked him for taking care of the situation ... THANKED HIM!!! He also said that they were going to get their dog after work, after 5:00. They also explained that they left her in the backyard unattended so they could go out for a couple hours.

So yesterday (Friday), I was reading our local paper and there's a section called "onions", where people can anonymously complain .. there was an onion that stated "neighbors who call animal control" ... !!!!!!!!! I am completely at a loss, my husband is too. They thanked us! We didn't know what else to do ... let the dog loose, or call someone who would take care of the dog .. heck, they even let the dog stay in the pound all day! I don't know, if my animal were in the pound, I'd move heaven and earth to get it out ASAP ....

Ok, that's it ... I feel awful about this whole situation. I suck. I guess next time she gets out, we'll just let her run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,744 times
Honestly, who cares what they think? They obviously have no concept of responsible animal ownership. You may have saved her life by calling animal control.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
How can you be sure the onion is from them? How about posting your own onion? Or simply being direct with the neighbors themselves.

Sounds like there is a need for some conflict resolution STAT! (sorry, had to use that word at least once.)

There are so many issues going on, it's pathetic. An 8 year old who won't sleep in her bed? Sounds like the terrier is not the only one starved for attention and discipline.

Do what you feel is right and don't shed tears over any onion in the paper.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 AM

I know ... I shouldn't. And normally, I'd blow it all off. I'll end up talking to them about it. I just needed to vent.

Issues ... yea, there are many many issues with that family.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 AM

593 posts, read 2,896,412 times
You did everything and anything that could have been expected of you and I say well done.

Animal control is there for a reason to deal with the consequences of inconsiderate, irresponsible morons. I call them constantly as I frequently find loose dogs with no tags. I have a holding pen in my house even.
I can't take them all. Most of them are mixes and rescue groups don't them.
They aren't mine to give to a rescue group anyway. They are stray and the owners should be ale to find them at the pound if they go looking. I know that's where I would be looking if I lost my dogs.

We all know what happens when there is more dogs than people that want a dog but what else can you do? Nothing. If you can't take them in and can't find someone to take them, you call animal control. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
This is partially a vent, but also a "what other choice did we have" post.

Our neighbors were given a free dog (terrier mix) in March. They got the dog so their 8 year old daughter would sleep in her bed. They had the dog for a week and then they took off on vacation for 7 days, leaving the new puppy with someone else. They didn't take the puppy to the vet for at least 2 weeks for it's inital shots and deworming. The parents, family doctors, work 12+ hours a day and leave the dog in the house unattended without a pet sitter coming in to take it out to wiz or for a walk. They put a pullup on it for the first several weeks. The daughter treats this dog like just another one of her toys ... play for a little while, then done, leave me alone. It's now a submissive pee-er. Being a terrier, it digs digs digs. It's gotten into our fenced yard when we've had company over. We end up having to take it back to them ... they make no move whatsoever, don't even thank or apologize. They think that by putting planks or sacks of cement around their fence line will take car of the problem ... but she still digs (SHE'S A TERRIER!). About the only thing this family has done is take the dog to the groomer to doll her up ... no training whatsoever. I mentioned the submissive wizzing, now, since the dog is cooped up all day, it's starved for attention and if it hears people outside, it goes nuts. When she gets out, she's not vicious, she becomes a "pet me pet me, love me love me", jumping wizzing machine. Did I also mention that do not have a collar, so no tags.

Ok ... so the neighborhood has been putting up with this poor attention starved animal for a few months. On Wednesday night, I came home with my 3 kids (my kids are terrified on this dog, btw ... when they first got her, she was very aggressive and nippy ... I know, typical puppy). I opened my door and my son started screaming. I looked down and there was the dog trying to get in. My husband and neighbor were trying to corral the dog to no avail ... she's fast! My neighbor tried to put her back in her fence, but she got out again. I did the same, in vain. My husband knocked on the door, rang the doorbell, I tried to call them ... no answers at all. They weren't home! There were newspapers piled up on the front porch .. for all intensive purpuses, we thought they were out of town. We had 2 choices, call animal control, or let her run. My neighbor told me to let her run, but I didn't like that idea at all (she's not fixed and who knows where she'd go .. get run over, attacked by a bigger dog). So we called animal control. They came and got her. The next morning (Thursday), my husband called our neighbors and explained what happened and why and apologized. They thanked him for taking care of the situation ... THANKED HIM!!! He also said that they were going to get their dog after work, after 5:00. They also explained that they left her in the backyard unattended so they could go out for a couple hours.

So yesterday (Friday), I was reading our local paper and there's a section called "onions", where people can anonymously complain .. there was an onion that stated "neighbors who call animal control" ... !!!!!!!!! I am completely at a loss, my husband is too. They thanked us! We didn't know what else to do ... let the dog loose, or call someone who would take care of the dog .. heck, they even let the dog stay in the pound all day! I don't know, if my animal were in the pound, I'd move heaven and earth to get it out ASAP ....

Ok, that's it ... I feel awful about this whole situation. I suck. I guess next time she gets out, we'll just let her run.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
It's never easy knowing what the right thing to do is, when faced with what appears to be conflicting values. I would've done the same thing that you did, right or wrong. Further, were I be faced with the choice a second time -- and I would be prepared for a second time, I would look for a rescue group and take the dog there.

When we add a family member to our group, it should be in the interests of all the family AND the animals. It doesn't sound like their choice was a wise one, and they may not be able to understand that, at this point. Hindsight is always better informed.

I understand your need to vent, vent away -- and then look for that rescue group.

Be happy.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 AM

And another thing...
I could write a dear abbey complaint letter to your newspaper complaining about the people that, instead of calling animal control, they just take the dogs in and don't even bother to find the owners, assuming the owners won't be looking for their dog. Or they stick a measley paper flyer up to a stop sign thinking the rightful owner will see that! That annoys me to no end. Sometimes I call those numbers up and ask the people if they think anyone can actually read their flyers.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Update ... it's saturday morning and they are having a garage sale ... they have the dog (they apparently retrieved it!), on a stake in the front yard ... don't know where they are. It's yapping up a storm ... seriously, I feel sorry for the animal.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,955,906 times
There are some people who should NOT have dogs (they don't deserve them!) and this family fits the bill.

I'd be thinking of calling animal control, especially if the dog has no water or shade to shelter from the sun/rain.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Update ... it's saturday morning and they are having a garage sale ... they have the dog (they apparently retrieved it!), on a stake in the front yard ... don't know where they are. It's yapping up a storm ... seriously, I feel sorry for the animal.
Here's what I'd do if I felt they didn't deserve the dog.
I'd grab my cellphone video camera and start video taping the dog barking. We have a 15 minute rule here on that. Then I'd file the complaints and have them cited for the barking. Where I am, you have to go into the AC office and file a written complaint to get them cited. Unfortunately that means your name is on public record.

Then I'd take pictures of the dog being chained up to a stake in the yard as that is illegal here as well and I'd submit those photos as evidence if this is illegal where you are too. Dog chain laws are a fairly new phenomenon, and I'm surprised so many cities in my state (GA) are passing them but they good laws but it takes citizen complaints to enforce them.

So there may be things you can do to get these people to the point where the number of $$tickets$$ are more trouble than the dog is worth and they find the dog a new home (or just abandon him and leave him to wander the streets) or there is the slim chance that they will start to understand what is and isn't acceptable pet care.

And the next time you see that dog outside without a bowl of water for more than an hour, pick up that phone. Around here, they will pick up the dog if the owner isn't there. They won't give the dog water.... they will take the dog and it's expensive to get them back. You and AC may be the only hope this dog has. Get a copy of your animal control codes and make use of them. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs