Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times

Advertisements

Gave our male lab mix, Hobbs, a quacking, plush, duck toy. Instead of ripping it apart, he carries it around wherever he goes, whimpers over it, and won't let the kitten play with it (he just moves it away). Hobbs takes the duck outdoors with him, digs a hole under a tree and sets the duck in it, then goes off to do his business. He brings the duck back inside most of the time. At night, he restlessly carries the duck around, up and down stairs, as if he's trying to find the right place for the quacking critter. Is this his "security blanket"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
lol. I'm glad to see he's a "lab mix", much easier! Use the 'search this forum" tool b/c I think this was recently discussed - well, not that particular toy but attachment to inanimate objects.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
Our latest Rotty we rescued, is the same as your lab. He carries around his toys. This boy has 3 huge baskets of stuffed animals & balls. He always has one in his mouth. No matter what he's doing or were doing, in the house, he is carrying his stuffed animal around in his mouth. I won't let him take the stuffed animals outside.
He has over 25 tennis balls & several undestructable balls out there to play with.Which he does.

I just think the dogs LOVE their toys.
Maybe he never had toys before we rescued him. Who knows...but he has certainly made up for it. Toys...toys...everywhere.
He's a very happy boy, now.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Sounds like Dylan, although, maybe not that extent. Maybe it is the "Retriever" in them. We too, have a huge basket of toys in the cornor of the kitchen. Dylan runs to the basket as soon as he gets up in the AM, as soon as he walks in the door from being outside, as soon as anyone walks into the house. In fact, if the doorbell rings, he runs for a stuffed toy first. He loves anything that squeaks or makes a noise...(except for the AFLAC duck someone gave him....just leaves that) and never ever tears them up. He almost always falls asleep with his head lying on the toy.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Our latest Rotty we rescued, is the same as your lab. He carries around his toys. This boy has 3 huge baskets of stuffed animals & balls. He always has one in his mouth. No matter what he's doing or were doing, in the house, he is carrying his stuffed animal around in his mouth. I won't let him take the stuffed animals outside.
He has over 25 tennis balls & several undestructable balls out there to play with.Which he does.

I just think the dogs LOVE their toys.
Maybe he never had toys before we rescued him. Who knows...but he has certainly made up for it. Toys...toys...everywhere.
He's a very happy boy, now.
3 baskets? My last dog had a basket of plush toys, too, all of which had been "disemboweled" and squeakers torn out, but she still loved them. Hobbs was adopted from the shelter, was skin and bones, and had some issues. He has no idea what to do with a ball. I'm sure the duck is his first toy ever. He has more on the way.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
3 baskets? My last dog had a basket of plush toys, too, all of which had been "disemboweled" and squeakers torn out, but she still loved them. Hobbs was adopted from the shelter, was skin and bones, and had some issues. He has no idea what to do with a ball. I'm sure the duck is his first toy ever. He has more on the way.
Sounds like my house I can't tell what half the things were once upon a time, but they still play with them.

Dogs do form attachments to things and yes, I think describing the duck as a security blanket is quite accurate, given your fur baby's history. I bet no matter what else you get him, that duck will always be his most special possession.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,196 times
That is so funny! Tonka, our rescued beagle/coonhound mix, cares nothing for toys. Sometimes he will chew a bone, but that's the extent of his playing with toys. Re stuffed toys - he only likes to disembowel them - but he's quick at that task and so his pleasure and our entertainment is short lived.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
It is his security blanket. When we got Simon from the rescue, he came with his stuffed monkey. He takes Monkey everywhere.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Angel (female lab) has stuffed toys she takes wherever she goes.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Jazz is another dog that loves her toys and in her 13 yrs she has never destroyed one. She still has the first stuffed toy I got her when she was a puppy. When Dash was younger and he would get ahold of a toy which was rare as she would not let him but every now and then he would snag one then go about trying to destroy it. If Jazz was around a look of horror would cross her face and she would charge him in a very aggressive fashion so he would leave the toy and flee the scene of the crime. Jazz would pick up the toy and go lay down and lick it all over like she was the injured toys momma! If Dash came back in the room too soon he was met with growls that would stop him in his tracks. Jazz has that duck and it has been one of her favorites too and she is not a retriever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs