Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,214 times

Advertisements

My dog is completely bald on the bottom of his neck. When he came here in april, he had black and tan fur in that area.. I noticed it started thinning out when he had to wear an E-Collar for 2 weeks.. Also, his choke is always rubbing in that area to..

Anyways, I miss the black and turn fur.. it looks funny being all skin under his neck... I'm wondering if that fur is gone for good... Also, curious why it happened.. Every dog wears a collar.. I haven't seen one dog at the park with the same problem as mine..

It's not like its one ring of baldness.. it's literally the whole bottom half of his neck.. the top half (behind his head) looks fine.. although I do notice some thinning near the back of his ears.. (some time his choke gets that high)

He is a short haired dog that sheds like a mother effer to... I wonder if the 110 degree heat of phoenix has to do with it.. or if its from the collar/choke, or if its a health problem..

thanks,
bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
Has he seen a vet for this? It sounds a little too extensive to just be collar rub, from what you describe. Especially if the fur loss is spreading, it needs to be checked out.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
The vet needs to do a skin scraping. It sounds like it could be demodectic mange (not contagious!) which needs treatment.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM

the vet saw it when it first started a few months ago.. she said not to worry about it unless it spread.. Im not sure if it has actually spread or not... all of a suddan one day his fur was gone.. this was months ago.. it hasnt gotten worse... but still.. its a large area of missing fur... hmmmm

you can kinda see what I'm talking about in these 2 pictures.. Before/After

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
from the looks of it ......thats a food issue .. Dobies are prone to stuff like this and flea allergerys
try a diffrent dog food .. if he eats wet go to dry .. I had a problem with one of my dobermans years ago eating a high meat diet (canned food ) also table scraps do this to .. to much fat ..the dog system does a stress shed and usually it in an area he cant reach so your flumoxed in trying to figure it out could be soap but more likely food related

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
from the looks of it ......thats a food issue .. Dobies are prone to stuff like this and flea allergerys
try a diffrent dog food .. if he eats wet go to dry .. I had a problem with one of my dobermans years ago eating a high meat diet (canned food ) also table scraps do this to .. to much fat ..the dog system does a stress shed and usually it in an area he cant reach so your flumoxed in trying to figure it out could be soap but more likely food related

He's a manchester terrier... We've switched up his food a couple of times over the past few months...

he went from pro plan, to wellness.. which he didn't accept.. then we had him eating raw foor for a while.. now we are on California Natural.. Which he seems to agree with so far...

his neck began to look like that in may...

Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
He's a manchester terrier... We've switched up his food a couple of times over the past few months...

he went from pro plan, to wellness.. which he didn't accept.. then we had him eating raw foor for a while.. now we are on California Natural.. Which he seems to agree with so far...

his neck began to look like that in may...

OPPS sorry he looks like a doby !

I still think its food related .. have you tried cooking for him ? sure its a pia to do that but nowadays there are so many additivies in the food we buy

Dog Ailments May be Tied to Pet Foods

Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM

here's another pic that shows what I'm talking about.. this was taken last night at his little graduation for the training he's been in!

pic isnt the best quality due to being a scan...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Poor baby! I think you need to take him back to the vet since it's spread so much.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,063 times
bench warmer -- i was just curious... is he having a reaction to the metal in the collar? how does his skin look under his fur?

and, my second thought was this: i have a shih tzu who just last year i noticed had lost fur over his eyes, and he had a little bump up there. when i pointed it out to the vet, the vet asked me if barnaby rubs his face in the carpet a lot. the answer? oh, yeah! totally scrubs his face on the floor when he's happy. the vet said that repeated wear and tear in a one area will literally rub the fur away.

maybe that's what is happening with your dog... maybe the chain is just wearing that fur away?

just a couple of ideas...

good luck! hope you figure it out soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs