Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Occupational hazard or not, anybody with a dog should make sure it is secure and not a hazard to the person delivering the mail. I knew a woman once who had to leave her job which she loved because of unsecured dogs on her route. One bite her twice and it got infected and she almost lost her leg.

Helping Postal Workers Fend Off An Age-Old Problem: Dog Bites : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I appreciate this post. I'm not a mail deliverer, but I feel for them. I've said that if I were a mail carrier, I'd refuse delivery to any house with an aggressive dog, because otherwise I'm inclined to put my foot up their hind-end if they try anything with me. Simply enough, I shouldn't have to deal with any such nonsense as part of doing such a job, it is not "part of the job" to me at all, and people who don't control this should be left out in the cold with respect to their mail being delivered.

I'm curious what the rules typically are in terms of that, if you're a mail deliverer, what they expect of you in such situations? Do the supervisors expect you as a subordinate to tolerate this nonsense, or do they back their workers and tell the residents to get their act together? I'd certainly hope it's the latter.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'll bet the policy (or at least the carrying out of the policy) varies from supervisor to supervisor. In my previous location the Mail Mistress simply held mail delivery, sent notice to customer to pick up their mail due to aggressive beast.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
My parents had a very sweet mutt that loved everyone except the mailman. About and hour before the mailman came she would get anxious and be looking out windows and the mailman ops I mean woman as it was a woman came to put mail in the slot near the door the dog would go basaltic. If she was out front with my mom and the mail truck pulled up on the street my mom would have to grab her and she would be going crazy watching that evil mailwoman ...now the funny part is the mailwoman lived in the neighborhood 2 blocks over. She would walk and when my mom was out she always stopped to talk and if the dog was out she was greeted like an old friend. So yup she and the dogs were actually friends but put that Mail uniform on her and the dog acted like she wanted to kill her. We do not know for certain what she would have done as for the safety of all she was never given the chance to find out nor did the mail woman ever push to find out, better to just be the neighborhood friend.

Even riding in the car if you passed a mail truck the dog reacted to it. Maybe she was a disgruntled postal worker in a previous life!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:59 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
My Uncle had the same problem Decades ago with his Husky/Shephard Buster Loved everyone EXCETP People in Hard Hats! Found out a guy in the neighborhood hit him when wearing a Hardhat! Some guy come around without the had Buster ignored him! So it took awhile to find out what happened. I betting Your moms dog...Dash... got hurt by a person in a postal uniform!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
My father was a mailman.
He used to bite the dogs.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 AM

19,777 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Our UPS guy loves our GSP's. The run along side the truck as he makes his way up the driveway and as soon as that door opens they knock him over with affection.

Because he carries DOG TREATS!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Our UPS guy loves our GSP's. The run along side the truck as he makes his way up the driveway and as soon as that door opens they knock him over with affection.

Because he carries DOG TREATS!

Yeah our old UPS guy gave treats to dogs even when we were walking in the neighborhood he would slow down and toss them a snack so Jazz and Dash would get all excited to see the big brown truck and if they ran into him they also would dance around his legs and give kisses if he asked. However they really did not know what a mail man was or that they tend to be afraid of dogs.Our mail does not get delivered to our door and I have a short walk to go get it. So when we would see a mail truck they both wanted to jump in it to say hello as they loved people.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We live in the city but now they are requiring that you have a mailbox which I am sure is helping. We have a LOT of illegals with pitbulls that they tie in the front yard not secure either and there are SO many dog bites here for the size of the population. These dogs do not get rabies shots according to an insider that I talked to.
Just read we have a rabies problem. I am glad they have went to the mailbox but I have dogs come after us.

I do not know if other cities are requiring mailboxes at the street. We have been here 3 years.

We had a Fed Ex guy that kept dog treats in his pocket. Rinnie loved him but not the UPS man since he didn't "deliver" in her mind like the Fed Ex guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs