Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 06:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,631,907 times

Advertisements

Wish I had a video I could share with all of you as this morning was Dazzle's first agility class. I worked all night last night and it was sooooo busy at the hospital that in my 12 hrs I did not even get a break then I was over an hour late leaving so we arrived at class, One middle aged very tired owner with one young excited fast dog...not a great combo.

The first thing we did was run up and down a line of the poles for the jumps to teach the dogs to pay attention to where their back feet are...Ok There I was wanting to be asleep but finding myself attached to a rocket. Take off that rocket did as he is a sight hound so can get a good 40 MPH if he so desires. He was trying to be kind and keep it down maybe 35mph???? I was thinking Oh dear what am I doing with a rocket? He in turn thought this is great Mom wants to race me!

Then we walked over a flattened A-frame did great with that so we move to the dog walk at about 1 ft off the ground that frightened him a bit as he would loose his footing but after enough practices he started to get it. Then on to the Tunnel. It was collapsed up so only a few feet long but most of his classmates were not really willing to do it the first time. Rocket boy Dazzle shot right through it and had a huge grin on his face" that was fun!!". I have a feeling he will be a dog that gets sucked into the tunnels

Then we did the tire jump. He loved that too and sailed through it on his first try. He was so pleased with himself. He had a ball which is what I was hoping would happen so hopefully he continues to enjoy this and in a few months can be out practicing with the club as I do miss that being that Jazz and Dash are too old now.

I have a goal to show any of the sighthound owners that laughed when I said Dazzle would be doing agility just how wrong they were. I think as long as he thinks it is fun he will do fine and this first class sort of backed it up . He does it more for my saying "good boy" then for treats as he seems to be very motivated in making me happy.

If any of you are looking for a way to have lots of fun with your dog give agility a try. You do not have to do competitions or have a fast dog to have fun as just going to class and learing to work as a team is so much fun for you and your dog.It can be a real confidence builder for the shy dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,263,158 times
AWE that's great, take some pics next time.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,401,712 times
Oh Look! See Dazzle run. See Dazzle jump. Run Dazzle run.

Dashdog how wonderful is that that his first time out he took to it like he was born to it. I hope you both continue to have lots of fun with it.

I know that you tell him he is a good dog many times but don't forget to tell him he is a GREAT dog every once in a while.

I too wish you had some video footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs