Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,688,397 times

Advertisements

there's been a lot of "what breeds do you think are in my mutt's past" threads lately, and i thought it might be fun to have a whole thread dedicated to posting our dogs of unclear ancestry and guessing what might be in other people's dogs genetic makeup.

i'll start with my dog:

she is about 50 lbs. my vet estimates her age at about 6 or 7 so the grey is probably just her markings. she doesn't shed.

i have my theories but i'll save them for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,754 times

I think more is mixed in there than was originally thought but it doesn't matter he's a good boy.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

he looks pretty mastiffy! with maybe even some lab?

when i decided to get a dog, that's one of the dog types i thought i'd end up with. so much for planning!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
The first one, groar's post, looks Irish Wolfhound -ish.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,810,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there's been a lot of "what breeds do you think are in my mutt's past" threads lately, and i thought it might be fun to have a whole thread dedicated to posting our dogs of unclear ancestry and guessing what might be in other people's dogs genetic makeup.

i'll start with my dog:

she is about 50 lbs. my vet estimates her age at about 6 or 7 so the grey is probably just her markings. she doesn't shed.

i have my theories but i'll save them for now.

My neighbors dog looks like yours except he is only about 20lbs. Maybe he's the minature terrior/wolfhound/? mutt and yours is the standard mutt. He is a great little dog BTW.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,810,423 times
Cooper...and he's not a lab as far as I can tell even though everyone thinks he is.

Rudy...his mix has become obvious to me in the past six months. It wasn't so obvious when we first adopted him.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

my guesses for my dog are some kind of schnauzer/terrier mix, or a wirehaired pointing griffon mix. some whpgs, or whatever they're called, look uncannily like her. wire-haired german pointers also look quite similar to her.

my friends have a dog who's supposed to be a poodle/bulldog mix (he's a puppy mill rescue who was the result of an accidental breeding), and he looks quite a lot like her, and is a non-shedder too. people always ask if he's part irish wolfhound, actually!

here's a cruddy cell phone picture of them together - my friend said she could only tell which one is hers because he's eating a stick instead of paying attention to the person taking the picture. he is a LOT bigger than her, but you can't really tell in the picture.

rnc76, cooper looks like he might have some golden in him. rudy looks like *something*, but i can't quite place it. i'm actually pretty bad at discerning dog breeds, why did i start this thread? haha.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,951,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post

I think more is mixed in there than was originally thought but it doesn't matter he's a good boy.

Pit X.. his head gave that away .... beautiful boy tho .. and such a sweet smile ( bottem picture )

Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Pit X.. his head gave that away .... beautiful boy tho .. and such a sweet smile ( bottem picture )
Yeah I'm thinking Pit has to be in there somewhere as his head is freaking huge. Lots of lab and sharpei though. It is funny when I'm scratching him I can grab a handful of skin on both sides and it pulls out like there is room for two more dogs in there. It is really obvious on the face though. He is all hanging skin there.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,501,027 times
OK, we know that Tonka's a beagle mix - the question is, what is he mixed with?

Yeah... I never miss an opportunity to post pictures of my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs