Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:50 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times

Advertisements

My 2 year old ACD/BC mix hates walking on the grass in the rain, and when let outside she will just sit under the porch and wait to come in. I let her out for a half hour this morning and when she came in, she had an accident on the floor within 10 minutes. I give her plenty of time to do her business, but she does not go outside, and does not communicate to me when she needs to pee. Does anyone have a solution for these problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
Go out with her on a leash and walk her until she goes...she just needs to get used to the rain.

Dogs recognize words...before I take mine out, I always ask if they need to peepee...they head straight to the back door. Do that each time you let her out...she'll eventually get it.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
ABSOLUTELY go outside with her. Get her on a leash and bring your BEST treats with you (not garbage dog biscuits, but rather chicken, cheese or steak).

I am not an advocate of just letting the dog out and hoping that he/she will understand what's going on. Go out WITH your dog, take a WALK and bring the treats. It will happen. Put on your galoshes and a rain hat! And ALWAYS treat her for doing what she's supposed to, with LOTS of high-pitched, vocal praise!

Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I have to go out with my dogs in the rain. I think they want to know they won't be left out there. I also use the encouraging word.
One of my dogs will only pee if another one does first.
I dread long rains, as there is often an accident. They don't poke around at their leisure in the rain, and sometimes don't poop outside.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I have the same problem with my GSP - he goes bounding out and comes to a skidding stop at the end of the carport. Kinda funny to see but no fun when I have to go stand outside w/him. At least he is very well trained (not by me, the rescue group, I can't claim any fame here) and if it's early or a downpour and I will be home, I just let him back in. He will tell me when he gets really deperate and then he goes out in the yard and gets wet. He's such a priss!

Oddly enough, he is not bothered by snow. I do wonder if he was abandonned on a rainy day.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
Storm my GSD has the same issue with rain so sometimes I go out and put an umbrella over him or he holds until he gets to school I have seen doggy rain coats but I don't know if that would help our doggies

Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
We go out w/ ours too, same as we'd do if it would snow - they seem to go much quicker too ;-)

Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
Of my four dogs, only one dislikes the rain and that's only if it's a hard downpour. She doesn't mind getting her feet wet - she doesn't like it coming down hard on her body. So, I put a light jacket on her, problem solved.

Like the previous posters, I don't send my dogs out to potty either - I always go with them. They get their business done pronto.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
I go out and the dog does not like rain one bit. I go out back were this is a cover area and she does go fast. Then the number 2 is a problem so I get a raincoat for us both, her coat is a winter one
so her fur is not wet too bad. It takes a while for this but she does know do it then you get to eat!
When little she had the pads and how easy that was, till this way!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:59 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,409 times
I agree with the advice to get out and take the dog for a walk in the rain.

This reminds of my first dog we got while out looking for a Christmas tree. It house broke to snow and it was pitiful as the last snow bank melted in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs