Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Wow...I almost wish I had more rodents and insects in my house to keep my pups busy...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times
I lived in a 3-level condo with my border collie mix for a few years - needless to say city living didn't appeal to him, especially when the weather was cold and we couldn't spend all day at the park.

I would play hide-the-Kong with him for hours. I'd put him in a sit/stay or down/stay and go upstairs or downstairs and hide the Kong from him. When I had it hidden I'd tell him "OK" and he'd go find it.

I'd hide it in shoes, in the arms of clothes (don't pick your nice work shoes/clothes), on the tub ledge, under the bed, in boxes downstairs - the trickier the better.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,100 times
Nice idea Hanna!

I've taken to playing ball in the house (I can hear my mom now) on those days I'm too busy for longer walks. I toss a tennis ball down the hall or bounce it off walls from my office and he goes after it and brings it back. One of the benefits of living alone I guess. I can do these things without anyone bitching at me, lol.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Dogs can do alot of thinks, Teach them anything. WE need dogs sports!

Jen Conners.
blogtoilet.com

Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I always threaten that one day I'm going to teach Artie how to do the laundry and unload the dishwasher. Both boys in the house (Artie and husband) think I'm nuts. I'm not nuts -- I just want to be lazy.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Fivehorses, I wish you knew the name of that book. I'd love to get ahold of a copy.
Ask and ye shall receive my friend.

The one I'm referring to is the first on the list - "Fun Nosework for Dogs" by Roy Hunter. I'm given to understand that some of the others are for more group based working environments. "Fun Nosework" is definitely for 1-on-1.

Welcome to Dogwise.com

It's also available on Amazon.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Hello, I have a working dog breed that needs a job. But I am not a farmer or rancher. As a 9-5er, what kind of simple jobs can we give him to fulfill that purpose?

I have heard that giving the dog a water bottle to carry while we are doing outdoor chores on the weekends is one idea. Any others?

Thanks!
My husband and I have owned American Pit Bull Terriers for several years. APBTs are also a working breed, not to mention they are very high energy. We learned that several walks a day with the dogs wearing doggy backpacks (with water bottles or something like that is in pockets for some extra weight), is great! I'd suggest, if you can, getting up 30-45 minutes earlier and taking your dog for a walk (with a doggy backpack) before work. Then, also walking him (with the doggy backpack) when you get home from work and/or a couple hours before bed. But, I'd also make at least 1 of the afternoon walks (if you choose to do 2), longer. Maybe 45-60 minutes. Another thing that we have done that we would highly recommend is making your dog stay next to or behind you on a walk. That helps your dog to know that you are the "pack leader" and remember to respect you. The way we did that was we would make our dogs stay right next to us, or behind us if that's where they wanted to walk. And for the 1st half of the walk we just walked. No sniffing, marking, etc. The 2nd half of the walk is when they get to sniff around, mark things, etc, but they earn that by being good in the beginning. However, even when they get to do their own thing, they still have to be respectful and do things by your rules.

Another things that we found out that helps a lot is to work on training for a while each day. Or at least a few times a week. You don't necessarily have to teach him anything new if you don't want/need to, though that would be good, but just having him do something to earn something is very good. Also, the fact that he gets to spend that quality time with you, doing things to please you while at the same time getting a treat or something for himself, is great! Along with the daily walks, if you could just take 15 minutes out of every day (or, like I said, at least a few times a week) and have him sit, stay, lay down, roll over, do some tricks, etc, etc, etc, I think he would really enjoy that.

The walks help get some energy out, and are good for socialization (they get to see, smell and hear new things), and with the backpack, it helps the dog to feel like they are working. Then the training is good for training, obviously , and it is a good way to spend some quality time with your dog and have him "work" to earn something.

I think it's great that you are thinking about the fact that you own a working type breed, and you are trying to help him fulfill his need to work. Too many people that own working type breeds, or even just high energy breeds, don't even try to figure out ways to help their dog get energy out and feel like they are working. And, as I'm sure you know, dogs like that need that, if they don't get the exercise and everything they need, that's when behavioral problems can start to develop. Anyway, so again, I think you are doing a great thing for your dog. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM

153 posts, read 937,163 times
I have an aussie and I've taught him to fetch me things I drop, grab the remote off the coffee table, find my keys, etc. etc. He is very oral, always has something in his mouth so it wasn't hard to teach him that bringing me those things will get him praise and reward.

Now I am always being brought various items. I even have a little basket by my computer desk to hold all the random stuff he brings. It keeps him busy when I'm not able to interact with him, and it's very useful if I don't want to get up and grab the remote!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,911 times
Thank you everyone who responded. Very useful advice!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I always threaten that one day I'm going to teach Artie how to do the laundry and unload the dishwasher. Both boys in the house (Artie and husband) think I'm nuts. I'm not nuts -- I just want to be lazy.
Hey, let me know if Artie can separate whites from coloreds, and I'll promptly send my loads up to ya! We all know that men, canine or otherwise, are color blind and mix black socks with white undies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs