Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a working dog breed that needs a job. But I am not a farmer or rancher. As a 9-5er, what kind of simple jobs can we give him to fulfill that purpose?

I have heard that giving the dog a water bottle to carry while we are doing outdoor chores on the weekends is one idea. Any others?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
I started fostering rescue dogs and puppies for partially that reason, because one of my dogs is a mutt, but has herder instincts. I'll say, "go get them" and she'll immediately run out the dog door and herd them all back into the house. Or stay around outside and keep them in line. I also say, "Help Pick Up" and she'll get all the dog toys strewn around the living room and put them in their toy box. Or, "Go Check" and she'll go check on the little puppies in the pen and lay there next to the pen and watch them.

Your dog sounds like you could train it to do anything.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I never thought that I'd be happy to have mice in my yard but it has become my blue heeler's favorite job to hunt for them.

He doesn't really have any other jobs but he loves to play with plastic buckets (small mop buckets). He can't deflate them (like he will do to a ball in 3 seconds) and he will play with one for long periods of time.

He loves soccer and frisbee too.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I never thought that I'd be happy to have mice in my yard but it has become my blue heeler's favorite job to hunt for them.

He doesn't really have any other jobs but he loves to play with plastic buckets (small mop buckets). He can't deflate them (like he will do to a ball in 3 seconds) and he will play with one for long periods of time.

He loves soccer and frisbee too.
My mastiff loves mashing mice too. He isn't trying to kill them, he just wants them to stop long enough so he can give them a proper sniff. Unfortunately for the mice, shrews, and voles, a 130 pound mastiff is not particularly subtle.

At first I was concerned that he might try to eat them. But I have him now trained to bring me all the critters he mashes in exchange for a more suitable, and healthier, doggy treat.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
What breed is it? If it's a larger / stockier breed and your vet approves, you can teach him/her carting. Benefits? When you're working in the yard / garden, you hook the cart to the dog and let him pull it around with all your supplies or weeds. My mastiff loved it. Rotties and pitties are other breeds that can enjoy carting.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
If I remember correctly OP, you've got a young (six months or so?) GSD no?

If the dog is of that age, I would urge a note of caution just because you need a wee bit of patience when it comes to Pup's physical development - too much stress/strain on tendons and joints and whatnot, you'll pay the price later. However, you can go to town with his brain!

Personally, given the breed, I'd get him a few puzzle toys. This will actively engage his mind while you're at work - and a GSD's mind is half the battle.

When you're home, you could start him with simple tracking exercises - fun for the pair of you but a "job" for him. I haven't got it to hand, but a couple of years ago I got the most brilliant book from Amazon full of fun tracking and "search" exercises. It was brilliant because the emphasis - indeed the whole premise - of the book was on fun for you and your chum. All I can tell you about it is that it's quite thin and has a yellow cover... (now, isn't that helpful )

Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
If I remember correctly OP, you've got a young (six months or so?) GSD no?

If the dog is of that age, I would urge a note of caution just because you need a wee bit of patience when it comes to Pup's physical development - too much stress/strain on tendons and joints and whatnot, you'll pay the price later. However, you can go to town with his brain!

Personally, given the breed, I'd get him a few puzzle toys. This will actively engage his mind while you're at work - and a GSD's mind is half the battle.

When you're home, you could start him with simple tracking exercises - fun for the pair of you but a "job" for him. I haven't got it to hand, but a couple of years ago I got the most brilliant book from Amazon full of fun tracking and "search" exercises. It was brilliant because the emphasis - indeed the whole premise - of the book was on fun for you and your chum. All I can tell you about it is that it's quite thin and has a yellow cover... (now, isn't that helpful )

OMG - if this is a 6 month old puppy - especially a large breed - don't do any work with him!! Any extra weight or pulling can cause serious damage down the road with his joints. Yikes!

Definitely at that age you need to be working on basic training. The more they are forced to think, the more energy it takes out of them. I've had adult rotties that bounced off the walls, but I put them on a training program, twice a day and it takes the wind right out of their sails. I swear working the brain wears them out faster that working the body!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,334 times
I am not sure what your situation is, my dog used to go crazy trying to fit three or four tennis balls in his mouth at a time. He could chase balls forever, and would wear him self out, trying to bring them all back to me at one time. I purchased a back pack for him, he would carry things for me in his backpack when we went on a walk. It was not a big pack, just had 2 16 oz bottles of water in there for me, but he immediately acted like he was very important, when he was wearing his back pack, like it was his job, so he had to pay attention. Sam also would find the cats, find the kids, and make sure that there was no food on any surface of the house. He was very dilligent in this task.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
Fivehorses, I wish you knew the name of that book. I'd love to get ahold of a copy.

I agree with puzzle toys, and training - clicker training can be a great way to engage the 'thinking muscles' on a GSD pup. And it does tire them out as much as physical exercise.

Sienna's (Sheltie mix) job is to keep the house free of flies. She takes it very, very seriously. I saw her hunting flies once, and threw a big party (lots of praise) and now she hunts them like she has a badge and a gun! It's hilarious to watch her practically climbing walls in pursuit, and it gives her something to do while I'm working. She has apparently also deputized the new kitten...I honestly don't know how I get any work done around here.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
The difference between Harper on a regular walk and on a walk with his saddlebags on is night and day. When he's got the bags on he is intent on what I'm doing and where he is going. No more happy go lucky, dopey boy. He is focused on me and his job 100%.

It is cool to see and it really wears him out more than a regular walk. That is with or without weight too. Even an empty bag will leave him contentedly snoozing away on the floor. It isn't the physical weight at all but the mental stimulation it provides. He is much more intent and focused on what he is doing when I put the bag on him and he knows he has to tend to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs