Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,122,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i do hope that more people come around to the idea of dangerous *dog* laws rather than dangerous *breed* laws. all the anti-pit stuff is based on pure hysteria, hype, and a lot of outright misinformation.
I would love to see "dangerous owner" laws instead: "Sorry sir, you are just too plain stupid/mean/incompetent to have dog, of any breed, ever."

Ok, so maybe when I am queen of the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM

124 posts, read 250,030 times
Default disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Great post, pitbullmommie. We have an English bulldog who is sometimes mistaken for a Pit Bull. Bully breeds get a bad rap. Recently, here in NYC, the housing authority outlawed dogs weighing more than 28 lbs. in housing projects. This law, of course, is basically aimed at pit bulls. Granted, there are many irresponsible pit bull owners, but that's not the dogs' fault. Now any dog weighing more than 28 lbs. in our PJ's has to be turned over to Animal Control. You can guess what happens after that. My heart breaks for those poor dogs. I mean, granted, you live on government support, you have to play by the rules, but it's not fair to apply the rule to dogs who are already living there and didn't do anything wrong.

I feel really sad for this breed. I wish Best Friends or some other animal rescue organization would help these Denver dogs.
!!!!!!!!!!Recently, here in NYC, the housing authority outlawed dogs weighing more than 28 lbs. in housing projects. !!!!!!!! gonna disagree here your hearts in the right place . HOWEVER . if you live on someone elses dime its there rules. If my kid lived at my place and wanted to have a mastiff I would say move or get rid of the dog. The housing authority has so many issues already; pets are last splinter they need.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,188,163 times
Johnson: If experts cannot ID dog breeds, how can cities? - The Denver Post

Quote:
Through her work, Voith hopes to put to the lie two things: studies on which dogs bite the most, and the wisdom of municipal breed-specific bans, such as Denver's, where hundreds of suspected pit bulls have been put to death.

"Visual identification simply is not in high agreement with DNA analysis," she said when I protested that a dog I had falsely, dead-to-rights identified as a pit bull turned out through DNA testing to be mostly Dalmatian. "Dogs in Denver may be dying needlessly," she said.

She hopes that her work, which she expects to be published in a year, will better inform cities and statistics gatherers on breeds most likely to bite.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I would love to see "dangerous owner" laws instead: "Sorry sir, you are just too plain stupid/mean/incompetent to have dog, of any breed, ever." Ok, so maybe when I am queen of the universe.
And I would vote for you for Queen of the Universe~

Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,447,101 times
This is so sad and makes me sick!! The pure ignorance! When we were Ohio earlier this year I was very careful with our big girl since she is a mixed pit. Ohio has the ban also and if you have the dog out it must be muzzled and on a leash. Well our dogs never go anywhere without a leash. But I knew if we ran into one of the billy-bob so called sheriffs there we might have a problem. They will confiscate your dog in a heartbeat. They also require a high coverage of liability insurance on the dog.

There's not been many incidents here in Alaska and never a mention of banning any breeds. A few years back there was a pit that attacked the 3 yr. old child in the family and unfortunately the poor little girl died. No charges were put against the mother but as I recall they did put the dog down.

I say ban the stupid owners who get these dogs and think they are so macho and breed them to fight; put the worthless owner in a pen with 3 pits and let them see what it feels like! The tough, macho idiot will be screaming. Ok enough of my rant. If I'm too harsh go ahead and yell at me. . I just cannot stand any form of cruelty and along with that, ignorance of the people who put these bans in place.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM

167 posts, read 598,036 times
Banning a breed sounds like a form of genocide. It is so disturbing that this is happening. I have also heard there is a place that considers german shephards, golden retrievers, and I think they also said dalmations to be dangerous breeds. I can't remember where it was, but I remember reading about that. The ignorance of those making these rules is scary.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,447,101 times
Quote:
I would love to see "dangerous owner" laws instead: "Sorry sir, you are just too plain stupid/mean/incompetent to have dog, of any breed, ever."

You got my vote!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,972 times
I think Denver's pit bull ban sucks!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,053,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
Banning a breed sounds like a form of genocide. It is so disturbing that this is happening. I have also heard there is a place that considers german shephards, golden retrievers, and I think they also said dalmations to be dangerous breeds. I can't remember where it was, but I remember reading about that. The ignorance of those making these rules is scary.
There was a representative in Minnesota that was trying to do this in 2007. His name is Lesch...

If you Google "Minnesota Breed Bans" you can read all about him.

He's probably not the only one but that one comes to mind.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
Quote:

honestly, that sounds like a good idea to me. some people *should* be banned from owning dogs, if they've shown themselves to be irresponsible owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs