Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have one of those dogs - will bark constantly if not directly supervised. Yes, with training she will stop instantly when. I tell her to and start the instant I leave her.

After pulling out my hair with several trainers and working diligently on this. - My dogs are actually trained working dogs - AND after talking with other people with high drive dogs of her breed [GSD-working lines] I gave in. It was my sanity or a little discomfort for her should she bark. And it does not shock on ONE bark - it shocks on repeated barks.

Call me what you want but, guess what? If she does not bark she does not get shocked - my neighbords don't complain and I don't pull out my hair.

Here is the deal - if you want any electronic collar to work it must be snug because if it is loose it only works intermittently and you cannot leave on on the dog 24-7 because the contact points will rub a sore on the skin.
The difference is that you are using the shock collar as part of a bigger training program and after exhausting all other options. You didn't just put it on your dog and throw him in the back yard.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 58,676 times
I have used a shock collar on our lab, and it worked great, took her 2 times and she stopped barking... She has barked twice (that I am aware of) since and I just show her the collar and that's the end of it.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,076 times
While I think they are a little cruel, its curtainly better then ending up in the dog pound

First try training your dog not to bark, then try the collar.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 PM

15 posts, read 58,676 times
First try training your dog not to bark, then try the collar.[/quote]

I agree

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Hideous. Those collars should be outlawed. So should irresponsible owners who do not train their dogs.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Shock collars are the lazy way to stop barking. Basic training techniques will stop barking unless the dog is relentlessly disregarded as far as needs go.
A well-exercised happy dog with appropriate training using reward does not need a shock collar. And the OP actually put LOL in his post. Why doesn't he try the shock of the collar turned up high and see how it feels. There is stupidity involved in the post but it isn't coming from the poor confused dog.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,326 times
I used to work for a company that utilizes working dogs. They used a shock collar on one dog for severe aggression after all other options were exhausted. It did work, but it was a last resort.

I have a dog that tends to bark excessively at the sight or scent of other dogs (this includes in my house at dogs walking past, out of the house, etc.), among other things. I have used a collar that gives a quick spray of citronella into the nose when it barks (at the recommendation of a trainer). It's not cruel or painful, but the smell puts them off. After one day of wearing it the barking stopped. When it starts up again, I just have to show him the collar and it stops. So...I'd recommend it. They cost about $100. Worth it for my own sanity as well as my neighbors!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
So do those things actually work? My neighbor got one for his dog that barks at literally anything. It has helped to stop the dog from barking constantly. But the stupid dog still barks at anything, then endures the painful shock in an equally loud YELP! He must have it turned up high lol.

Will the stupid thing ever learn not to bark in the first place?
The only "stupid thing" in this equation is your mentality and this ignorant, assinine post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
They usually work pretty good, must be a really stupid dog. Maybe they should perfect an improved wide collar model with rechargable cell phone battery and built in stun gun. They should hire Michael Vick to promote it after he finishes up his NFL contracts.
Quote:
Seriously, I rank human suffering above doggie suffering. .
Why? What makes humans so much more special? Suffering is suffering, no matter what species.
Quote:
Listening to a dog bark for hours on end is torture for many people. It destroys the peace and tranquility of a neighborhood, and property values as well..
If it bothers you so much, invest in earplugs and have a talk with whomever's dog is barking
Quote:
Hiring a trainer to teach your dog not to bark is not something most people are going to do..
Then those people arent committed enough to pet ownership, ans shouldnt have a dog in the first place if they arent going to do whatever's necessary to train/take care of it.
Quote:
It would be expensive and not always be effective for a tard dog that just likes to bark..
There are training books. There's the Internet. Do it yourself if you have to. Ive yet to see a truly, as you call it "tard dog". 99% of the time its the 'tard owner.
Quote:
A shock collar sounds better than the owner having to give up the dog to the pound where it would be destroyed. .
How would you like to be shocked every time you spoke? Hmm? How about we put something around YOUR neck you cant get loose and zap you every time you speak??
Moderator cut: orphaned quote ]

You can always get/find another stupid person too....hint hint.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-11-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 11,531 times
I cannot believe what I am reading here, these shock collars and I use one on my Doberman, or should say she wears it but because I trained her PROPERLY AND HUMANELY with it, unlike so many of you. I never need to shock her, they should NEVER be used to stop barking, this is a problem that an owner who bothers to take time to train their dogs can stop or at least begin to control. I used my dogs collar for a serious problem i.e. running up to people approaching us and barking at them and scaring them and had it been a Yorkshire Terrier or small dog people would have laughed at this, but because mine is a Doberman people were terrified so it was my responsiblity as a responsible and humane dog owner to stop it which the shock collar did after 2 attempts by the dog to do it again, bright dogs taught the correct way learn. Its only the idiots out there who give the shock collars a bad name and majority of the people using them should not be doing so... a good test for you... wear the colar yourselves laying over your necks... turn the control up to full capacity and shock yourself several times, GUARANTEE YOU WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT AN EVIL OWNER YOU MUST BE TO CONTINUE TO SHOCK YOUR DOGS...train yourselves and not the dog please. I get sickened by the way I hear people are treating their dogs Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-11-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Look - any of these things are a tool and used in the right hands can produce desired results or just be a cop out.

You can build a house with a hammer or you can bash someone in the head.

I get so sick about being told anyone is a dog torturer if they choose to use an electronic collar or a pinch and they know how to use it.

What about the people who dress their dogs, treat them like little furbabies, ascribe to them human emotions and human behaviors, and don't acknowledge their "dogness"? There is more than enough of that to go around. They are DOGS, not furry children. I am sure that a dog that gets to live as a dog and satisfy its basic drives is a lot happier than a dog expected to parade as a little person.

I have seen plenty of "behaviorists" who can manage a basic low level low drive pet dog with good results but often fail with a headstrong dominant dog, sorry.

How would you feel? Well I have put the darned collars on my neck at the stim level my dog has recieved and it is not traumatic at all and I would bet you that the skin on a dogs neck is a lot less sensitive than the skin on my neck.

How would I feel about being controlled and being told I could not speak? Guess what - I am NOT a dog. I don't know that a dog gives it a whole lot of thought. - "Hmmm, bark repeatedly with this thing on and it hurts, guess I won't do that"

Citronella collars - w hy are these considered more humane - dogs nose to them is far more sensitive than our eyes are to us - to me THAT would be torture based on how the dog [who has no problem with other dogs hanging of its neck in play] to assualt its primary sense organ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs