Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times

Advertisements

A 'friend' just posted on FB that they just got a new dog and put a no-bark collar on him....and their toddlers' crying is setting the collar off! The dog is being punished for not even doing anything.

It hasn't apparently occurred to her to take the collar off since A)its cruel to shock the dog B)it will be a completely ineffective training tool if the shocks don't accompany the behavior. It has me pretty pissed.

We aren't really friends, we just went to college together and I've been thinking of unfriending her since, other than reading each other's posts we don't really interact at all. This might be the catalyst. It won't rescue the poor dog from its situation but at least I won't have to read about it. I'd post a comment but I don't like using FB for arguments or debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
There are plenty of threads on bark collars that can be searched.

It is obvious they bought a cheap POS collar. Quality collars require the dog to actually be barking continuously to set them off. I use on on one dog but it was not my first line at tackling the problem.

It would be reasonable and responsible to send them a private message through FB. The last thing they need is for the dog to form an association of the shock with the baby.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
People who use shock collars on dogs, without obtaining the proper training or knowlege base to operate them correctly, have no business having dogs, IMO.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A 'friend' just posted on FB that they just got a new dog and put a no-bark collar on him....and their toddlers' crying is setting the collar off! The dog is being punished for not even doing anything.

It hasn't apparently occurred to her to take the collar off since A)its cruel to shock the dog B)it will be a completely ineffective training tool if the shocks don't accompany the behavior. It has me pretty pissed.

We aren't really friends, we just went to college together and I've been thinking of unfriending her since, other than reading each other's posts we don't really interact at all. This might be the catalyst. It won't rescue the poor dog from its situation but at least I won't have to read about it. I'd post a comment but I don't like using FB for arguments or debates.

i would ABSOLUTELY send her a message and explain gently and in small words why what she is doing is SO SO SO wrong......

and THEN unfriend her.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
People who use shock collars on dogs, without obtaining the proper training or knowlege base to operate them correctly, have no business having dogs, IMO.

agreed......

Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
There are plenty of threads on bark collars that can be searched.

It is obvious they bought a cheap POS collar. Quality collars require the dog to actually be barking continuously to set them off. I use on on one dog but it was not my first line at tackling the problem.

It would be reasonable and responsible to send them a private message through FB. The last thing they need is for the dog to form an association of the shock with the baby.
That's exactly what I thought. A good bark collar has some pretty sophisticated electronics and isn't cheap.

I would bet $11.99 that this is the model they have...
Buy New Anti-Bark Dog Training Shock Control No Barking Collar at eTech.com (http://www.etech.com/item--H3032 - broken link)

If you google "bark collar" this is the sponsored link at the top of the page.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,726 times
I have a 4.5 toy poodle. She is a year old and has no clue she isn't a great dane the way she barks at the huge dogs in the neighborhood behind us. A fence divides them but she yaps (as little dogs do) and gets the other dogs barking which is loud. I feel bad and usually let my dog out at midnight and very early in the morning to go to the bathroom (the other dogs are in a run during the day and inside (I guess) at night. I am considering a bark collar yet she is so tiny that most collars slip off. Any suggestions?

I meant to say I feel bad for my neighbors and their dogs who otherwise won't bark til my yapper gets them going. Occassionally I hear their owners yelling at them to shut up but I know it is my dog agging it on. I generally only let her stay out about 30 minutes at a time due to this situation!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
I am not so sure they work for a small dog, my dog barks in the home when I leave her.
I guess she does have separation anxiety so I gave up, and just crate her when I am out. She is now age ten and it is real hard
to live with. I only am gone in a week mabe 6 hrs if that.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Heinous. I would not even be able to tolerate being around anyone who uses a device like that.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Heinous. I would not even be able to tolerate being around anyone who uses a device like that.
I don't want to use a device like that however I worry about the dog getting poisoned. A few years ago before we had our dog there was a man who was charged with poisoning his neighbor's dog due to barking. He claimed it accidentally killed the dog when his intention was to sedate it. It wouldn't take much to take down a 4.5 pound dog so I worry someone could do that.I believe he put valium in meat but obviously it didn't just sedate the dog

Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
First and foremost your dog is too small for a bark collar. You can try one of the bark devices that you put in the yard but they don't always work on every dog.

I do know what you are going through. I have a neighbor who hates dogs and is also suspected of poisoning 2 dogs. They called the police chief on me saying my dogs barked all night, which was a lie since they are not outside at night. I put up a privacy fence and that helped a lot since they can't see other dogs

You can train your dog not to bark but it takes time and repetitive action.
Check out this.. maybe it will help you
How to quiet your barking dog through training, collars, medication & surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs