Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,301,691 times

Advertisements

We too, renamed a dog with similar sounding name that fit his personality better. The best advice I read is to not name your pet with anything sounding like No!, such as Bo or Cloe. It might be confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,369,461 times
We usually call our dogs several names. When we rescued Simon, which was his real name, we kept it, but we also call him Bud or Sy. When we adopted Darcy this summer from the pound, we had no idea what her name was. She was called Dorey at the pound. She now has a real name but is also called Peanut or Pudge (she has a tendency to overeat if given the opportunity and has gained a few). She answers to all. As long as they are loved, I think they will come to any name that they recognize and is not said in anger.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:35 AM

19,554 posts, read 9,565,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
We too, renamed a dog with similar sounding name that fit his personality better. The best advice I read is to not name your pet with anything sounding like No!, such as Bo or Cloe. It might be confusing.
I heard that one too. I do know of a few people that have dogs and named them such. Could depend on where one is from and which word is the first that comes out of their mouths to express displeasure?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM

19,554 posts, read 9,565,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep, so do ours and they know them all!!
Here too
Often use sweetie for the girl and baby for the boy. I picked him out from the rescue group when he was just a baby and raised him. He's about 7 now. After the other dog we had passed we wanted the other to have a brother or sister to play and keep company with. Visited a few shelters and allowed our pooch to pick out his companion. She was a little more than 1 yr when we contacted the rescue and arranged for the two to meet. A little indifferent at first but now they're the best of friends. Love it when they give each other kissies.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,758 times
While considering a dog for adoption the rescue called her Cinnamon. She barely acknowledged the name she'd had for two years. On the way home I looked back at her in the back seat, and named her Sandy. And just like *that* she knew it was what I was going to call her and responded to it! You won't have any trouble changing your dogs name either!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM

830 posts, read 2,714,123 times
I never knew my dog's old name, because she was abandoned in a box with no information.

She caught on to "Nelly" very quickly.

I think that the fact that it's a new person calling her the new name probably helps. It's like "Hey, it's that new lady who is nice to me. She always says "Brownie" when she wants my attention!"

Sometimes I wonder about her old name, but she doesn't seem to care about it a bit.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
some dogs will answer to any name if you say it in an excited tone of voice.

i kept my dog's name, by the way - sadie. i think her owner brought her in and it was always her name - she certainly knew it well enough. i like it and it suits her, but it is a pretty common dog name and leads to some confusion at the park!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Glad to hear of the senior man getting the older Yorkie!
My "Artie" was renamed at the pound who had him for almost a year. They worked with him all the time to try to ease his fears from abuse. They named him "Artie" to end his past associations, wouldn't even tell me the name. Artie fits him fine.
I've never changed the name of a dog I've gotten already named, but then, none came to me with some awful name. They all ended up with two-syllable nicknames, anyway, like "Eloise" has become "Weezer." I think she responds to the zzz shound no matter what name I use.
I got "Nala" from the same pound, and couldn't remember the name- didn't know it's from some cartoon or something, so I changed it to "Nayla" which I can seem to remember. I call her "Miss Nay" or "Nay Nay" and she knows who I mean.
I think they learn and respond very quickly, especially if you catch their attention and give them a treat- they learn fast!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
it certainly would be, although you aren't required to use the word "no" to mean "stop that."

Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM

142 posts, read 571,682 times
All 3 of my dogs were re-named when I got them. Our first dog was Floppy which suited her because she has one ear that flops over but Floppy is a bunny name not a dog name so she became Roxy. Our second dog was named Shotzy at the shelter but we were not too fond of it and it sounded like Roxy so we changed her name to Zoey. Our third dog which we just got last week was named Kadence, we changed it to Duke and he learned it in less than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs