Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,408 times

Advertisements

Every few weeks I see a new dog running around in the park across the street from my house. Most of them don't have tags and very few even have collars.

The last time I found a small pup, couldn't be more than a few months old that my neighbor saw someone literally toss out of their car and drive away from it. It was petrified of humans and had some skin condition so I think it was abused. It wouldn't come near me when I was trying to get it out of the street to avoid having it hit by a car.

This afternoon my neighbor and I were out with our dogs and a small grayish dog came trotting up to his lab wanting to play and then followed me back to my apartment. No tags, seemed very friendly though. I tried to call the humane society and got a machine saying they are full.

I'm so tired of seeing strays in the park because people can't afford to take care of or just don't want to take care of the dogs they got anymore. It breaks my heart to know that they will probably end up getting hit by a car because we live on a very busy street, but I unfortunately cannot afford to care for any strays when I can barely afford to care for my two dogs. I don't want to call animal control cuz I know the dog will end up in the pound and most likely be put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Would you rather it humanely euthanized or hit by a car and die a slow painful death in the road?

I understand where you are coming from. It's very sad. And it's happening more and more. And until the economy picks back up, it'll keep happening. Adoptions are down in shelters and rescues alike. Rescues are full. Shelters are full. Shelters are having to euth more than they were years ago because rescues don't have room to pull them like they used to. It's a very sad situation, but one I guess I've grown to accept. People will dump their pet if money gets tight. All the years of loyalty and love from their pet are forgotten and it becomes a liability, financially. So they dump it. Humans suck. It's just the way it is.

Go outside, give the dog some affection. Let it know love for a while. And then call Animal Control and hope for the best. Sorry you've having to see what it's really like out there. I see it every day. Guess I just kind of got immune to the coldness of it after seeing all the sick abuse and torture out there.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
Where are you located?

Could you list an advertisement, for the dog to a good home? God bless you for removing him from the street! He could have gotten very hurt by the cars, or worse yet, picked up by the wrong type of person. He followed you home because he trusts you. We're here to take care of the animals - what is the use of having the humane society pick it up, if they're full to the brim? They'll put him down before the day is over.

I know money is the reality, and people can be cruel. And that I can't save every stray. But if you were anywhere within a 500 mile radius of me, I would almost volunteer to drive out there to rescue him. It's a wonder he's not already cooped up in a kennel waiting for death, this may be his only get-out-of-jail free card!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
you're giving the dogs more of a chance if you take them to a shelter. as mrs1885 said, even euthanasia is preferable to the kinds of deaths that await stray dogs.

odds are the only shelter that will take them right away is a "kill" shelter (supporters prefer "open door") because no-kill shelters are always full. but according to your profile you live in a decent sized city and i'm sure there's a shelter or two that is more than a pound. look into it, call around, find out what shelter animal control feeds into, find out how long different local shelters will hold an animal before euthanizing.

for instance the shelter where i volunteer, and where i got my dog, is a kill shelter, but they go to every length possible to avoid euthanizing adoptable pets. when they get full, they try to find more foster families, etc.

on the flip side there are city pound type shelters where they hold animals for a short period of time and then euthanize. but that's not the way every kill shelter is, so do your research!

some shelters have their own humane officers as well - if you're not comfortable catching and transporting these dogs yourself, you might be able to form a relationship with a humane officer who you know will look out for them.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
it is a very sad part of life and I hope that I never ever have to be in the type of situation as to have to give up my babies. i prefer to think that if it gets that bad, the cable goes, the cell phone goes, and so on. i think that i would buy a camper and live in it if i lost my house, i am just the type of person that would go to every length possible to keep my girls.
i am with Marylandkitten if you lived close enough i would adopt the pup, its been weighing on my mind alot lately anyhow to rescue a dog...
i know its a part of life but is just really sucks, sucks, sucks ....

Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
sucks sucks sucks does not BEGIN to describe it..........

Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Try locating other rescues in your area -there are others than just the Humane Society. You can ask a vet or go on petfinder with the breed you think it is and look up dogs of that breed within say 50 miles of your home and you might find a rescue that is breed specific.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 25,143 times
Try the small rescue route. Or check with friends to see if any are looking for a new pet. I've been able to get a few strays homes just by asking around my neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,076 times
Normal dogs cannot live wild in a city. Only wolfdogs/coydogs-animals that are part wild animal or born to feral moms should be left wild IMHO and then only after spaying/neutering.

The best thing you can do is find a friend or someone else to help. I think I would honestly put down the dogs as you find them, as they will probably do it in a shelter anyway and if they dont it could be worse for the poor dears.

The types of people that may adopt them... you just cannot be assured that it wouldn't be worse. Legally you can do all kinds of vile stuff to a dog

If put down depending upon the laws of your city on rendering/waste disposal they will probably/maybe get made into pet food but its just how life goes.

You cannot even be sure in the new homes the dogs would be just fed crap and die anyway

A quick death by needle is better then a slow physical break down on ol roy or some of the other really cheap foods

Rather then have a save the animals mentality,write to congress for a Spay/neuter law.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Absolutely report these dogs to Animal Control! What if they are lost and their owners are looking for them? The pound won't put 'em down right away and many dogs are microchipped.

I would want someone who saw my dog randomly running in a park to rescue her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs