Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,997 times

Advertisements

I made the mistake with my first dog of letting him sleep in my bed ever since he was 7 weeks old. He's known nothing else except when he naps in his own bed, which is rare, it's usually on the couch.

I want him to start sleeping in his own bed because there is just not enough room in my bed anymore. I have another dog who seems easier to train on doing things like going in her crate and staying in her bed, but I know Buster will jump in my bed at some point in the night and not stay all night in his.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get him to do this, and maybe make it a bit easier on the both of us?

I do have to get him a new bed because I only have one for them right now. Normally my other dog will go in her crate when I'm not in the house and Buster will go lay in his bed in the kitchen, but I have to put a baby gate up to keep him from getting in the rest of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Usae the baby gate across the door of your room. Just be prepared for a few nights of noise/unhappiness.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Feed him in his crate if he's not thrilled w/ being ousted from the bed - he'll come to like it more. Or maybe would keep them both in the kitchen (gated). We had to boot ours from the bed when my husband had surgery and it was fine and we may be having to do it again. Luckily ours is small but there are times I dont sleep that soundly w/ her snoring, moving around etc and am thinking the same thing as you - so we'll see. Let us know how it goes ;-)

Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
The snoring doesn't bother me near as much as the farts. I mean seriously they could peel paint. Mine isn't allowed in the bed except rarely when I take a nap in the middle of the day... then he knows all bets are off. At night he sleeps in his room, usually curled up in his kennel.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I recently retrained two dogs to not sleep with me---one after 14 years. I simply stopped inviting them to bed with me. When I was heading to bed, I covered them up with a cover on the sofa. At first, they would come up at sometime in the middle of the night. I didn't fight it---let them join me---afterall, I was fast asleep at 4am. Slowly, they stopped coming because they became accustom to the sofa. Occassionally they will join me---like once every couple of months. I figure they must be cold or insecure. Since I don't make a big deal about it, they don't make a habit of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 PM

187 posts, read 636,098 times
i find disgusting to sleep with a dog in the bed..all this hair and the animal smell..absolutely disgusting and not hygenical..

let the animals be animals!!they do not need to sleep with us in our bed,in order to show them,how much we love them!this is exageration and absolutely ill..makes ill..alergies and so on...pfui...

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
The snoring doesn't bother me near as much as the farts. I mean seriously they could peel paint. Mine isn't allowed in the bed except rarely when I take a nap in the middle of the day... then he knows all bets are off. At night he sleeps in his room, usually curled up in his kennel.

LMAO!!.. you got a dog like that to?????????

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza 1313 View Post
i find disgusting to sleep with a dog in the bed..all this hair and the animal smell..absolutely disgusting and not hygenical..

let the animals be animals!!they do not need to sleep with us in our bed,in order to show them,how much we love them!this is exageration and absolutely ill..makes ill..alergies and so on...pfui...
My dogs DO NOT stink. I guess that is what you meant, as we all know dogs have an amazing ability to smell. I love to sleep with my dogs. I wash bedding often and there is hair at times. It does not bother me at all.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,743 times
I think Caesar Milan had an episode about training a dog to stay off of the bed due to territorial issues. It was a matter of removing the dog from the bed and showing him/her where to sleep. It took many repeats of the same technique to teach the dog, but eventually he learned to sleep in the doggie bed on the floor. As with most training, repetition is the key. My two doggies and a cat sleep in our bed also - and no, they don't stink, but there is fur. That is why I have an extra blanket on the bed which gets cleaned often. I have another question though - why don't animals learn to lay perpendicular to you, instead of going in the other direction. It would not be so bad if they would lay in the same direction, there would be enough room. I always get feet in my back kicking me over . Gotta love em though!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
I think Caesar Milan had an episode about training a dog to stay off of the bed due to territorial issues. It was a matter of removing the dog from the bed and showing him/her where to sleep. It took many repeats of the same technique to teach the dog, but eventually he learned to sleep in the doggie bed on the floor. As with most training, repetition is the key. My two doggies and a cat sleep in our bed also - and no, they don't stink, but there is fur. That is why I have an extra blanket on the bed which gets cleaned often. I have another question though - why don't animals learn to lay perpendicular to you, instead of going in the other direction. It would not be so bad if they would lay in the same direction, there would be enough room. I always get feet in my back kicking me over . Gotta love em though!
LOL I have one that HAS to have a piece of MY pillow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs