Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

When Denice Shaughnessy’s wirehaired dachshund Chanel died last month at the age of 21, she was heralded as the world’s oldest dog, according to Guinness World Records.

Now another old dog, one still living, is vying for that title. Max, a terrier mix, is 26 years old, according to his owner, Janelle Derouen of New Iberia, La., although Guinness has yet to certify his status.

Life in dog years: More pets living longer - Creature Comforts- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 PM

192 posts, read 618,077 times
i wish i knew what these people fed their dogs, and the dogs lifestyle and stuff....anything to keep my dog around as long as possible, i would try, no matter the cost. =)

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
Jersey,

My guess is diet appropriate for a carnivorous mammal, which would not include those most "familiar" brands bombarding us with their ads.

Never count on any mainstream media article, or veterinarian for the scoop on this, as the pet food industry has everyone in their pockets (notice the IAMS ad on that page.)

Excerpt from the article:
"Does Santi simply have the magic touch? Not necessarily. She attributes her dogs’ longevity to good genes and good nutrition. "

Notice the article, or veterinarians interviewed, would dare elaborate on this as they can not dare bad-mouth the commercial pet food industry -- biting the hand which feed$ them (all 28 veterinary universities receive generous funds from those most "popular" pet food Mfgrs.)

Here's a website which allows us to see the facts for ourselves: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
You'll find virtually every dog food on the market analyzed, with ratings based solely on the ingredients used.

Much, much more at your fingertips. Plenty of threads right here RE: good vs. bad foods. It's up to us to dig for the facts for ourselves.

A Holistic Veterinarian could guide you appropriately regarding a good, healthy diet.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Blows my mind. My Peekapoo lived to be 21. It never occurred to me to submit her to the Guinness World Records back in the 80s.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
i wish i knew what these people fed their dogs, and the dogs lifestyle and stuff....anything to keep my dog around as long as possible, i would try, no matter the cost. =)
Cheerios (she refused to eat dog food), milk, canned cat food (not on purpose, she would bully the cats), people food of all kinds, vegies, fruits, whatever we were eating.

When I say 'whatever we were eating,' keep in mind that we ate healthy---no fatty or processed foods (aside from the Cherrios & cat food which is processed).

That dog even ate salad---lettuce and all! But just little nibbles of what we were eating each day. The bulk of her diet was Cheerios and what she would steal from the cats.

She lived a sedentary life---hardly ever went for occassional walks since she wanted to be carried shortly after leaving the house.

Which reminds me, she ate crayons too. Her bowl movements were quite colorful sometimes.

Remember, little dogs live longer than larger dogs.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
From mulitple sources:

Quote:
Worlds oldest dog..... The oldest dog that has been reliably documented was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey. He was put to sleep at the age of 29 years and 5 months!
Here's one link:

Interesting! Worlds largest, tallest, smallest, oldest dogs!

My Cattle Doggie is going on 17. She's not doing so well: deaf, blind, arthritic. Caring for her is NOT easy. Some days I think it is a contest of wills. Either she will keel over one of these days....or I will!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times
LOL...it is a battle of wills, I'm sure of it, plaidmom. She's trying to do you in!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times
My neighbor has a 3-legged, 60 pound lab mix that she found injured on the side of the road as a puppy 17 years ago. The food? Purina One Lamb & Rice.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,218 times
Cool article! It certainly echoes my own experience, even in the relatively short time I've been working with pets (15 years or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs