Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM

622 posts, read 1,725,844 times

Advertisements

Freshwater turtles are a lot of work. Some get to be over 2 feet and need ponds. Even sliders need tank over 100 gallons at maturity

As for dogs, yes I agree, but again there will always be people that are pro life even if that life is "in the pits"

Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Freshwater turtles are a lot of work. Some get to be over 2 feet and need ponds. Even sliders need tank over 100 gallons at maturity

As for dogs, yes I agree, but again there will always be people that are pro life even if that life is "in the pits"

your definition of "in the pits" most likely differs SIGNIFICANTLY from a dog's definition of "in the pits"

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,069 times
If you can't have a noisy dog where you live, and you can't train your dog to be quiet, rehome him. No other options.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
People are so quick to judge. Maybe someone that had a dog out in the country and the dog was used to running and barking without any issues at all. Then all of a sudden this person for whatever reason has to move, maybe they lost everything, but lets say they have to find someplace smaller like an apartment. The dog is home alone barks and the neighbors complain. So they get rid of the dog. OMG! They got rid of the dog just because they couldn't control the dog or just to lazy or whatever, but how can someone just get rid of their dog.

But, lets say that they decide to debark the dog so the neighbors are happy and the owner gets to keep the dog and the dog gets to stay with it's owner. The dog can still bark just not loud enough to annoy the neighbors. OMG! How dare they do that to that poor dog, must be irresponsible lazy owners.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. But it seems no matter what choice you make there is always going to be someone there to point their finger.
Thanks, I do not debark my dogs. Because I train them. But I for one know not all dogs can be trained to be quiet. Rehoming sounds like a solution?? What makes any of you think the new owners will even care enough to go thru the trouble of training? The truth is MANY dogs are put to sleep because they may get adopted, but end up right back at the shelter when the new owners have had enough. I feel training should be tried first, but I for one will not rehome as you put it or put them to sleep. I feel if my dog is so much of a problem barker, how dare I expect someone else to deal with it. As far as moving, what are some of you thinking? With loss of jobs, wage cuts and the like, many people are just lucky to have a home. I have known debarked dogs, you can still hear them, and they are still very happy playful dogs. OH, and they still stay with their very loving owners. As I said before, I'm not in favor of it, but it is better than being dead. Think before you condemn others. You haven't walked in their shoes.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post

These feelings are the reasons why good informed people like myself must if their lives change for the worse have their pets destroyed or carefully re homed to protect them from a clueless insane world
So glad I'm not your dog!!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Rehoming sounds like a solution?? What makes any of you think the new owners will even care enough to go thru the trouble of training? I feel training should be tried first, but I for one will not rehome as you put it or put them to sleep. I feel if my dog is so much of a problem barker, how dare I expect someone else to deal with it. I have known debarked dogs, you can still hear them, OH, and they still stay with their very loving owners.
YES, rehoming is a solution...esp. if the original owner is in a tiny apartment in a city and working all day long, which is why many of them bark incessantly in the 1st place...they're bored and lonely, and no matter how much that owner might love the dog, the fact is the dog would most certainly be better off with an owner who is there to spend time with, love, train, and exercise the animal properly.

People seem to think dogs and cats will pine away for them forever and always be depressed if they are re-homed, but the fact is that animals are not like humans...they live in the NOW, they don't guilt themselves a thousand times over one mistake, and they don't pity themselves if they have a handicap...if they are giving & receiving love, eating well, and have a warm place to snuggle in at night, they are generally happy creatures...we could all learn a lesson from them IMO!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times
I would not debark my dog... she can alert me if there is trouble. Then again, she is not a problem barker. My best friend in HS had a Pomeranian & her dad had it debarked when they moved in to town. The little guy seemed to adapt to it fine and never showed any signs of distress or pain. The lady who used to live next to my parent's house had 3-4 poms... They barked. all. day. The lady was home all the time, gave them lots of love and care, but by god they were the yippyest yappiest little dogs I have ever seen or herd. To this day I cannot stand the breed because of those little neighbor dogs... so I can certainly see the perspective of wanting/needing to debark dogs for the neighbor's sake, or having that type of dog in an apt and being told "Debark it or get out!".

Reality is, a person could get evicted from an apt for noise violation and in this economy moving to the country...? Good luck finding a nice acre that rents at the same cost as an apt. As far as re homing goes, again good luck. Finding someone to take a problem barker? There are so many dogs in shelters that do NOT have behavior problems, many people looking for a dog wouldn't bother with an older dog (past puppy hood) who has a horrible barking problem. Not to mention the problem of finding someone you trust to be good to your dog. There are people who pose as nice folks offering a loving home who then turn around and sell the dog to a research lab or use it as a bait dog for dogfighting. And then there are also people who seem great but turn around and treat the dog horribly. And shelters? 7 days then euth, for most shelters. Here, we have a no-kill shelter, but they still euth dogs with kennel stress & behavior problems, so even a no-kill shelter would be no guarantee your dog would find a new home.

I do think training should be tried before resorting to debarking, and I do think people should give a little more forethought to the matter of bringing home a dog- Am I home often enough? Is this breed right for a small house/apt? Can I follow through with training? Ect...

When all options are exhausted, I say debark if you have to. It's not a perfect world, and sometimes you have to make tough choices. I feel that putting your dog to death rather than debarking would be an unforgivable act of betrayal to your pet. That kind of mentality makes me sick, to be honest. Your dog may not be able to bark anymore after the operation, but I bet he will still enjoy chasing a slobbery tennis ball, running through the grass, playing in the sprinkler, gnawing on a bone, dozing in the sun, having his belly rubbed and just sitting by your side happily. Death would be a cruel robbery of many years of happiness, not an act of kindness.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Life & Reality sucks. I live in an apt I was given no choice as to size of dog I wanted. I was given no choice as to weather to Spay. AND IF they ever decide my dog needs to be Debarked then I would do that too! I know the people that have cats have no choice they Must be Declawed! Yes I have seen people get rid of animals cause they dont match this yrs color of furniture!!
What if that is any reason, to get rid of a pet. i would not want them for my owners. They can't be pet lovers, if they choose to get rid of an animal for that very reason, they should not have pets. That is just crazy, i would never think of that, my pets are like our babies.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
A neighbor up the street had a dog who'd had his vocal chords clipped. It's little bark was more like a high pitched squeak - not like a real bark. They kept the dog chained in the back yard. When the husband died, the poor dog was given up. The widow immediately got another dog. (FYI - These people are NOT friends of mine. They just happen to live up the street.)

Across the street from me is someone who works for a veterinarian. One of their dogs is hopping around the neighborhood right now. He can't put weight on one of his back feet. When I brought it to their attention, they tried to pretend that they weren't aware of it. Since I've lived here, I could make a long list of infractions on their lack of care and responsibility for their animals.

Sadly, there are too many dogs (and all kinds of animals) who are abused by their owners their whole lives. These poor animals never know anything else.

Your exactly right, some people should not be pet owners period. If your going to get an animal only to end of abusing it, why punish the poor innocent acnimal. I can go on about people not being responsbile pet owners, but what would it serve, things still go on around me with unresponsbile pet ownership. Believe me, and some people think, there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post

As a parent, you don't silence your screaming child when it's inconvenient to you, why as an owner, should you be allowed to medically alter and possibly jeopardize your pet's health and safety.

I agree that anything is better than having the animal put to sleep. But the step that comes between that, and devocalizing them, is finding them a better home, with better more responsible owners.
I do understand your points. There are many i am beginning to see non responsbile pet owners, that think nothing of it. Drives us pet lover's absoutely crazy, wish i could take their animals, but that is another post. Even in the different neighboorhoods i have lived in, does not matter people still seem to not understand that meaning of responsbile pet onwership. Being an avid pet lover, i simply don't understand, if your not going to pay attention to your animal, why subject the animal, to that kind of cruelty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs