Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do understand your points. There are many i am beginning to see non responsbile pet owners, that think nothing of it. Drives us pet lover's absoutely crazy, wish i could take their animals, but that is another post. Even in the different neighboorhoods i have lived in, does not matter people still seem to not understand that meaning of responsbile pet onwership. Being an avid pet lover, i simply don't understand, if your not going to pay attention to your animal, why subject the animal, to that kind of cruelty.
Too true...I worked for awhile as a vet tech at an animal emergency facility & you wouldn't believe the horrors I saw and the absolute neglect, negligence & cruelty some owners have concerning their pets. Awful. I managed to save 5 such creatures during my 6 months there, 3 of which are now my babies, the other 2 in very good homes with people I know personally & who are great and loving owners.

Yes, some are just barkers that don't stop...like shelties...and of course de-barking is preferable to death as a LAST resort. But I agree, if people are going to adopt a dog, they should make sure the environment is going to be suitable for the breed they choose. A herding dog is not going to flourish in a small city apartment, and a chihuahua would be miserable in Alaska...instead of looking at a picture and saying "Oh, that's a really cute dog, I want one of THOSE", people should be reading and researching the characteristics of the breeds they're interested in to make sure it's going to be a mutually harmonious existence.

I just wanted to point out that sometimes we humans selfishly assume that because we love our animals so much we are the best possible owners for them...when situations in life happen that prevent you from being able to provide for them the way they deserve to be provided for, if you can't find a friend or family member to take them temporarily, sometimes you HAVE TO re-home. To those who believe it's better to put them down, I think it's incredibly egotistical to do such a thing. Look at how quickly that animal melted your heart...don't you realize that others will feel their heartstrings pull the same way, and just as quickly? There are still many animal lovers in this world, and we will fall in love again and again...it's not like there's a limited supply!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,990,239 times
I do not agree with debarking dogs.

I agree that some people's situations change and they are forced to move into a setting where barking dogs are not tolerated. Some dogs just want to bark and no amount of training will help. The hardest thing for me to do would be to 'rehome' my dogs; just wouldn't do it. Faced with that scenario, I really don't know what I would do if moving weren't an option. Rehoming won't necessarily be more humane than debarking; you just can't be 100% sure that the new family will treat your dogs well.

Unfortunately, I think that the majority of people debark because they are lazy and irresponsible and that is why I have a major issue with it.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
I don't believe it is cruel. I watched the vet perform a bark softening procedure...it took seconds and the dog was up and back to normal in no time. Just when she went to bark it was softer. I think that is the term used now alot...bark softening, because they are not truly debarked. They just don't bark as loud and piercing. Dog is happy,owner happy, and neighbors can no longer complain. The neighbors used to hear the dog bark from INSIDE the house, when they were outside. They filed a formal complaint.....it was an ugly court scene. The owner had a court order to quiet the dog and she tried everything; last resort was the procedure. Now the neighbor is picking on her for something else...like if the grass gets tall or the trash can doesn't get pulled in soon enough. People can be mean. But bark softening is not.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSpeedBmp View Post
I don't believe it is cruel. I watched the vet perform a bark softening procedure...it took seconds and the dog was up and back to normal in no time. Just when she went to bark it was softer. I think that is the term used now alot...bark softening, because they are not truly debarked. They just don't bark as loud and piercing. Dog is happy,owner happy, and neighbors can no longer complain. The neighbors used to hear the dog bark from INSIDE the house, when they were outside. They filed a formal complaint.....it was an ugly court scene. The owner had a court order to quiet the dog and she tried everything; last resort was the procedure. Now the neighbor is picking on her for something else...like if the grass gets tall or the trash can doesn't get pulled in soon enough. People can be mean. But bark softening is not.
Nasty neighbors...!

I can't believe any court would issue an order for dogs that bark INSIDE the home...I could see it if they were being left outside all day, but that whole scenario sounds really unfair to me. The fact that they're finding new things to pick on them about is very telling here...sounds like they just don't like your friend and are looking for things to complain about as a way to drive them out of their home. Sometimes ya gotta fight fire with fire...but honestly if it were me, I probably would have moved...I don't get attached to houses or places, but I am quite attached to my dogs and their voices...we'll go wherever we can live happily and be as loud as we want to be! That being said, I'm glad my neighbors are all "dog people" and have dogs that bark waaaay more than mine do!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM

660 posts, read 1,398,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Sometimes ya gotta fight fire with fire...but honestly if it were me, I probably would have moved...I don't get attached to houses or places, but I am quite attached to my dogs and their voices...we'll go wherever we can live happily and be as loud as we want to be! That being said, I'm glad my neighbors are all "dog people" and have dogs that bark waaaay more than mine do!
You're very lucky that your neighbors are all "dog people".

I have a friend who manages a building where some of the owners have zero tolerance for dogs barking and demand the Condo Board impose fines for it (which he has no power over).

I was told a story of a woman living there who felt she was forced to have her cute little dog "de-barked" because the neighbor above her kept complaining to the Association thus getting her into trouble. Some people hate dogs but love to complain.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 678 times
So what vet did the debarking? My husband and I are not opposed to doing this and have found it necessary to do. I understand that it is not the option for everyone (so I ask that a dozen over zealous haters not respond cuz I'm not asking THEM if I should do it or not! I'm going to plain and simple. I just need to find a vet that will perform the surg. Do you know of one that will?

Now that that's said let me address the haters! This is no different than cutting off a dog's ears (so it'll LOOK good) or ripping out a cat's claws (so it won't scrach the baby who pulling on it's tail or poking it's finger in the cat's eyes) or fixing (so it won't have dozen upon dozen of unwanted animals for the state to have to spend tax money to be up down) So sit on your high morral horses and look down on us horrible pet owners all you want to!!! This is one pet owner who will tell you straight up....I DON"T CARE IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!! My puppy will still be able to frolic and play and be ever so happy with us in his nice warm kibble filled home and he will still be able to enjoy the experience the joy of barking....just onbody has to hear it!!!!!! Good day to you all!

oh and ps...I noticed on here- in another blog like this one -that the person who runs this thing didn't like that a blogger had a bad experience with their blog on this subject and had the nerve to chastise them for not finding the "haters" input helpful and was gonna take their blog down (prob cuz they did not agree with the subject either) but may I remind you that there is this wonderful little thing called freedom of speech going around and it's a handy little thing cuz it protects EVERYONE who has something to say...look it up!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM

246 posts, read 279,183 times
Yes that is sad but as a dog owner and lover I can't stand to listen to them incessantly barking. I have 2 collies that bark only to warn of possible threats but was in training with a girl who had 2 shelties that got her evicted from numerous apartments she had to get both of them debarked just to be able to keep them.
the elderly lady next door to me has 2 dogs and one of them has been debarked, he doesn't seem to realize even when he barks, no one hears him.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,665 times
Holy cow! I would have spent all the money I had on trainers until I found a solution besides surgery. Bu thats me!

Too bad they didn't know about "The Anxiety Wrap" and/or "The Face Wrap" they both work wonders, are inexpensive and can easily be ordered if a store near them didn't have.

I worked for a vet as well, but just becuase the Sx itself didn't hurt while the dog was under doesn't mean I've be all for it!

I'm against De-Barking, Declawing, Ear Cropping and Tail Docking!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehenderson View Post
So what vet did the debarking? My husband and I are not opposed to doing this and have found it necessary to do. I understand that it is not the option for everyone (so I ask that a dozen over zealous haters not respond cuz I'm not asking THEM if I should do it or not! I'm going to plain and simple. I just need to find a vet that will perform the surg. Do you know of one that will?

Now that that's said let me address the haters! This is no different than cutting off a dog's ears (so it'll LOOK good) or ripping out a cat's claws (so it won't scrach the baby who pulling on it's tail or poking it's finger in the cat's eyes) or fixing (so it won't have dozen upon dozen of unwanted animals for the state to have to spend tax money to be up down) So sit on your high morral horses and look down on us horrible pet owners all you want to!!! This is one pet owner who will tell you straight up....I DON"T CARE IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!! My puppy will still be able to frolic and play and be ever so happy with us in his nice warm kibble filled home and he will still be able to enjoy the experience the joy of barking....just onbody has to hear it!!!!!! Good day to you all!

oh and ps...I noticed on here- in another blog like this one -that the person who runs this thing didn't like that a blogger had a bad experience with their blog on this subject and had the nerve to chastise them for not finding the "haters" input helpful and was gonna take their blog down (prob cuz they did not agree with the subject either) but may I remind you that there is this wonderful little thing called freedom of speech going around and it's a handy little thing cuz it protects EVERYONE who has something to say...look it up!
Spaying or, neutering reduces the chance of dogs getting some cancers.

The less dogs there are the better it is for all dogs.

Just look at the price of house cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs