Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 AM

761 posts, read 3,424,588 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, as you know or may not know, we adopted a austrailian cattle dog mix back in August and he has shorter hair and sheds quite a bit. What are some of your tricks to deter shedding so much? We have been giving him some shed pills (chicken flavored things) as well as giving him a little wet dog food with his evening meal. Is there anything else to try? It seems to be getting better and his coat is feeling better, but want to be sure we do it right and get him to be perfectly healthy.

He was kind of mangy when we got him so it is coming around quite well though.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,324,981 times
What are you feeding him? Good quality, grainless food is key to prevent and control shedding. Stay away from brands like Purina, Iams, Science Diet, Nutro, etc.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,520,931 times
My Golden(s) are the champion shedders! We found this tool...and it looks like some kind of torture appliance, works great! And the dog loves it. Just make sure you do it outside...because you will be amazed at what comes out! The birds all love it....Dylan's hair makes up every bird nest around here!

Dog Grooming Combs & Brushes: Shedding Blade (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=786 - broken link)

We also have the "Furminator", but it doesn't work nearly as well

Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,355,208 times
Nothing helps shedding like a good combing and brushing.

While I've heard great things about the furminator, I get fine results with a simple shedding comb like the one below:

The amount of fur that combs out is unbelievable.

But dont' think you can get away with just one combing/brushing now and then.

If you really want to solve your shedding problem, you need comb/brush daily.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,930,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My Golden(s) are the champion shedders! We found this tool...and it looks like some kind of torture appliance, works great! And the dog loves it. Just make sure you do it outside...because you will be amazed at what comes out! The birds all love it....Dylan's hair makes up every bird nest around here!

Dog Grooming Combs & Brushes: Shedding Blade (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=786 - broken link)

We also have the "Furminator", but it doesn't work nearly as well
I used the shedding blade on my shepherds. Works great!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,161,375 times
Three things:

1. Good food
2. The Furminator
3. Derm Caps

A combination of these three can do wonders.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,830 times
My German Shepherds have had both Innova EVO, current and BARF, past - still incredible shedders. A lot of combing the undercoat rake is the best IMO - the furminator does ok with the top coat but if the dog has a double coat the undercoat rake does better for me and the dogs tolerate it better.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,930,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My German Shepherds have had both Innova EVO, current and BARF, past - still incredible shedders. A lot of combing the undercoat rake is the best IMO - the furminator does ok with the top coat but if the dog has a double coat the undercoat rake does better for me and the dogs tolerate it better.
It didn't matter what mine ate either. They aren't called German Shedders for nothing.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM

761 posts, read 3,424,588 times
Thanks for all the replies, we do brush him quite often, pretty much every time were out in the garage. We do it out there since it is so messy, we have tried a few different brushes and found one that he likes, it is a soft bristle one (rubber teeth) and it works pretty good. I may look into some different food to, since he is on purina, but we weren't sure what he was on when we got him and he got used to this food fast, but as the first response said, probably too much grain.

Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,830 times
On the upside - dog sheds a lot doesnt need many baths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs