Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,843 times

Advertisements

I am quite attached to a Silver Hair-Brindle-Pit Bull named Dixie but, there is no doubt she has been trained and fought in the past. I could really use some advice on how to retrain her. I live in an area where there are a lot of people with animals; Dixie does fine when not on a leash but, if she is leashed or tethered watch out!!! When running free she will run up romp and play with any dogs or people. However if legally leashed she tries to attack any other dog also leashed or any dog behind a fence. When tethered she tries to attack other dogs and people but, is somewhat selective in who she wants to attack... The biggest problem is when tethered she is very selective who she lets by... the people she chooses to let pass are just the opposite of the type people I want to visit my home. (if you get my drift) It is obvious that that she cares deeply for me as I do for her but, I really need some HELP with these problems. Thanks DJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,466,122 times
IT doesnt sound good and I feel for you both - would definitely get ahold of an expert experienced professional trainer to evaluate her ASAP and get their opinion. I don't have to tell you the ramifications if she hurts or maims one person or a child - or another animal. It sounds like she has a mind of her own and even if she's under your control, Im sure she's fast, powerful and strong.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,377,431 times
You need a professional. Immediately. Period.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM

353 posts, read 1,285,637 times
It is not unusual for dogs behavour to be different when on a leash versus off and raising hell through a chain link fence is great fun.

The funniest thing is that I see this regularly at a dog park where dogs will carry on through the fence even when the gate is open and then it is all over when they are inside all on the same side of the fence.

Rattling a pan on the fence defused their interest.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,852,851 times
I would consult a pro...an expert. Maybe your vet can give you a referral. Contact local pit bull rescues, they may be able to refer you to someone. Search for a pit bull club... they can probably refer you too.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,010,417 times
Many dogs are more agressive when on a leash and they haven't fought. They just feel, quite accurately, that they are more helpless if another dog comes after them. Find a good behaviorist to help.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,188,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_DeJager View Post
I am quite attached to a Silver Hair-Brindle-Pit Bull named Dixie but, there is no doubt she has been trained and fought in the past. I could really use some advice on how to retrain her. I live in an area where there are a lot of people with animals; Dixie does fine when not on a leash but, if she is leashed or tethered watch out!!! When running free she will run up romp and play with any dogs or people. However if legally leashed she tries to attack any other dog also leashed or any dog behind a fence. When tethered she tries to attack other dogs and people but, is somewhat selective in who she wants to attack... The biggest problem is when tethered she is very selective who she lets by... the people she chooses to let pass are just the opposite of the type people I want to visit my home. (if you get my drift) It is obvious that that she cares deeply for me as I do for her but, I really need some HELP with these problems. Thanks DJ
OMG! I just lost my WHOLE post!!!! I'm sooooo mad! I had typed up soooo much! Anyway, lets try this again ...

Wow!.. Well, that sounds exciting! First I have to say thank you, thank you, thank you, for giving your pitty the good, loving home he deserves! My husband and I LOVE all of the "pit bull" breeds, especially APBTs, and though it sounds kind of bad, after owning "pit bulls", we can never see our selves owning any other breed! They truly are amazing companions! So loyal, intelligent, obedient, loving.. and the list goes on and on. Of course, these would be "pit bulls" that have been properly raised, trained, socialized, controlled and cared for. A "pit bull" that has been abused, neglected and/or trained to be aggressive and fight is going to be a handful. A dog like that can definitely be rehabilitated, but it will take time, patience, and a lot of energy and effort on your part. Normally, I would not have suggest someone get a dog like that unless they have experience with dogs that have been through similar things. But, it sounds like you really love your dog and are willing to do what you need to do to help him! I have to give you props for that, and tell you right off that bat that I wish you and your pitty the very best of luck!

I have some questions though, if you don't mind.. Is she tethered often? Is she left alone when she's tethered? Is she an inside dog, an outside dog, or both? And when she is tethered, where is it? Front yard, back yard, side yard? That's some info that would be helpful, but for now, I have a few tips.

So, as far as the aggression goes, that should be able to be changed. There is most likely hope for her. Because "pit bulls" were originally bred to be animal-aggressive (AA), and because she was used for fighting, that might not ever completely go away. Even if that does seem to completely go away, as I'm sure you know, you will never be able to trust her unattended around any animal, for any amount of time, for any reason, just to be safe! Now, the human-aggression (HA), that should be fixable. Even though "pit bulls" were originally bred to be AA, they were also bred specifically to be human-friendly. Human-aggression (HA) is not "normal" for a "pit bull". Even the "pit bulls" that have been used for dog-fighting can normally be rehabilitated and placed in homes, because they don't tend to be, or if they are they don't tend to stay, HA. Even the fighting pits have to be human-friendly so they can be handled. People have to get into the pit when the dogs are fighting, etc. IMHO, the HA comes from being abused and neglected, not from dog-fighting. So yeah, IMHO, she might not ever get over the AA completely, but the as far as the HA goes, I think she has hope. It am very hopeful that with a lot of time, energy, patience, and effort, you will be able to rehabilitate her.

She needs to know that you are in charge, you are dominate, you are the "pack leader", and you will take care of her, never the other way around. Simple little things like not letting her on the sofa or bed unless she's invited, not letting her sit up next to you and beg while you're eating (make her stay several feet back), not letting her go through any doorway (especially if you are going outside or coming back inside) in front of you, making her stay next to you or behind you on walks, feeding her after you eat, etc, etc, etc, will help. All those things show her that you are the "pack leader". If she feel that you aren't dominate, that you don't take control of every situation, she will feel like she needs to do that. In her mind, there has to be a "pack leader", and if you don't take that position, she has to.

Another thing is walking her. She needs to get a couple good, long walks a day. Running around the yard, playing with you, etc, don't count as exercise, they can't replace a good walk. Walks are good for many reasons. 1 - It exercise. A tired dog is a good dog! lol! She won't have the energy to be so aggressive, so it will make helping her with that a whole lot easier! 2 - It helps you and your dog bond, and it helps her to see you as the "pack leader" and to respect you. Again though, to do that you need to make sure that she stays next to you or behind you on the walk. The "pack leader" is the one that leads. And 3 - It is great for socialization. She will see, hear and smell new things. Walks are just definitely a must IMHO. Since she is so aggressive at this point though, I'd definitely suggest you do a couple things to help that. 1 - Use a head collar (gentle leader). This is the exact one we got... Gentle Leader Product Description - Premier Pet I'd suggest you also use a regular collar or a harness with a second leash attached to that as well, just for backup. It may take a while for your pit to warm up to the idea of having something on her head/face like that, but it's a great thing! Try holding a treat on the other side of the head collar, let her smell it, slip the head collar over her head then give her the treat. If she pulls or lunges, she will just turn around basically. She can't pull, lung, anything like that with a head collar on. This keeps her from hurting herself, hurting you (because she's so strong), and possibly hurting another person or animals. And 2 - Walking her with a doggy backpack Amazon.com: LARGE - RED - Outward Hound Quick-Release Dog Backpack: Kitchen & Dining that has water bottles, or something for extra weight (not too much though), in either side will help her fulfill that need to work that she has because she is a working type breed, and it will help her get even more energy out, because we all know that's great for high energy breeds like terriers, which is what she is. Also, when she gets into that working zone, that might help her to ignore other things that would normally set her off.

Now, as far as helping her with the aggression, I don't really feel too comfortable giving you a whole lot of advice on that. I have had to deal with that before, but I am not a dog expert. Different things may work better for you and your dog, you just never know. I would suggest getting a professional to help you. I personally am a big fan of Cesar Millan and what he does has worked wonders for us. I can tell you though, the things that I mentioned above are very important things to start off doing. That won't change the aggression completely, but those are extremely important in getting her to trust you to take care of her, etc. I would strongly suggest you start off with those things, and continue doing all of that as well as whatever it is you decide to do to tackle the aggression issues.

Okay, so again, I love Cesar Millan and I'm a big Believer in what he does. It has worked wonders for us. So, even though some people don't like him, I'd suggest you at least check out his website. Cesar Millan - About Cesar

Understanding Aggression
Cesar Millan - Cesar's Tips - Understanding Aggression

Breed and Aggression
Cesar Millan - Cesar's Tips - Breed & Aggression

Case Study: Aggression
Cesar Millan - Cesar's Tips - Case Study: Aggression

This is a good clip, "Red Zone Case: Pitbull Emily"... Cesar Millan - Video Player It looks kind of bad, but I am telling you as someone who has owned and LOVES "pit bulls", and as someone who has had to deal with behavioral issues and aggression with my "pit bulls", this worked for us many time over! He is not choking the dog or hurting her, he is simply not letting her kill Daddy (Cesar's APBT that he uses to help other dogs), and he's not letting her be the dominate one. Dog in the wild do this and I'm telling you, it worked for us.

There are lots of other good video clips, and more info, tips, suggestions, etc. I'd just suggest you look around the site and see what you think would help you, if anything. Hopefully Cesar can help you as much as he has helped us! Anyway, this is all I'm going to type for now, I had a lot more but again, it somehow got deleted when I was just finishing up! If there's anything else that I can help you with, or that you think I might be able to help you with, please feel free to message me. Hope this helps and again, I wish you the very best of luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,294,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You need a professional. Immediately. Period.

I agree...
You need to nip in the bud ASAP.
Basically...if you want to keep your baby Dixie, your going to have to get her good training.
Some people just don't realize what babies, that Pits are. Soon as their name... Pits, or Pit Bull...people get all defensive. Yes... everyone can have their own opinion, but we as true animal lovers, being it a Pit or Rott or GSD...whatever the breed may be...we true animal lovers have to prove the "questionables" wrong.
Every dog is perfect, it's the humans that are messed up.
What makes a good dog, is a good owner.
Try not to stress...Dixie will pick up on it.
Thank you for going the extra mile to prove the people wrong that thinks these types of breeds are bad.
No such thing as a BAD dog breed ...just bad humans that don't care or have a heart to learn & love the greatest creature of all.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM

666 posts, read 1,848,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
She needs to know that you are in charge, you are dominate, you are the "pack leader", and you will take care of her, never the other way around. Simple little things like not letting her on the sofa or bed unless she's invited, not letting her sit up next to you and beg while you're eating (make her stay several feet back), not letting her go through any doorway (especially if you are going outside or coming back inside) in front of you, making her stay next to you or behind you on walks, feeding her after you eat, etc, etc, etc, will help. All those things show her that you are the "pack leader". If she feel that you aren't dominate, that you don't take control of every situation, she will feel like she needs to do that. In her mind, there has to be a "pack leader", and if you don't take that position, she has to.
As the owner of two pits, I completely agree with this. While this may not solve the problem, it will certainly allow you to get control of a situation faster.

Our dominant female will occassionally fence fight on walks, however if you anticipate the situation and divert attention or catch things quickly, we have been able to avoid many situations. For example, if I know we are walking up to a house with a dog, I'll watch my dog very closely and you can see her ears change position very early on. If we break her concentration at this point, we can control the situation. However, if we don't catch her until she's going nuts, it almost impossible to calm her down.

One additional thing I've noticed with our female is that when I run with her, she gets very focused on running and ignores most things that would otherwise set her off. I guess it just comes down to knowing your dog and trying different things until you find something that works.

Good luck and don't give up on her. Its not easy, but its a very admirable path you are going down.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 AM

122 posts, read 201,070 times
I agree with the others, get professional help. Also, a breakstick is a MUST if you take her on walks. God forbid you encounter a loose dog and your dog and the other dog get entangled in a fight, that breakstick will save the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs