Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM

537 posts, read 1,769,791 times

Advertisements

I need to purchase two leather dog leashes. We had one I got from one of the big chain pet stores, but it was hard on our hands with pulling puppies. The leather never seemed to soften up; the edges were sharp. The youngest pup has chewed a gash into the side of the leash and I'm leary to use it anymore.

We had a trainer come to the house to help us with our latest addition and she snapped her leather lead on him and we practiced healing. Her lead was so soft. Like the leather had been completely broken in and didn't tear your hand up while trying to correct the puppy. She said she bought it that way.

She said you can find them around, but at a cost. If I can find a *soft* leather lead, I'd be willing to pay a premium.

Do any of you own a truly soft leather leash? Where did you find/buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,085,847 times
This is not first-hand knowledge, but I saw these online:

Super Soft Leather Dog Leashes

Super Soft Premium Leather Dog Leash with Braided Ends - $19.50 : Dog Equipment, Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility

There was another that was listed on Amazon as being soft, but the first review said that it was NOT soft, so I didn't list that one. Wait. Actually, I will list it because the other reviewers said that it was, in fact, soft.
Amazon.com: Petego La Cinopelca Soft Leather Dog Leash, Brown, 1/2 Inches by 86 3/5 Inches: Pet Supplies

Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This is not first-hand knowledge, but I saw these online:

Super Soft Leather Dog Leashes

Super Soft Premium Leather Dog Leash with Braided Ends - $19.50 : Dog Equipment, Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility

There was another that was listed on Amazon as being soft, but the first review said that it was NOT soft, so I didn't list that one. Wait. Actually, I will list it because the other reviewers said that it was, in fact, soft.
Amazon.com: Petego La Cinopelca Soft Leather Dog Leash, Brown, 1/2 Inches by 86 3/5 Inches: Pet Supplies
yes... I can do an online search for soft leather leashes and get the same results as you.

I'm not looking for a padded handle on my leash, because that's not the part I'm handling when I'm heeling my dog(s). I'm looking for a leash that, for the length of the leash, the edges are beveled and the leather feels like a broken in baseball glove.

I'm looking for a great, soft leash, that others have personal experience with.

Thanks, though.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,085,847 times
Yeah, sorry, I know that some people are not big on online searching and shopping. I didn't know if you were one of them, so I searched for you.

I hope someone here has some personal experience to impart.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
Saddle soap & murphy oil soap will sofen leashes & any leather.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,391,037 times
It sounds just like a leash one would use for formal obedience training. I would try going to a local dog show or obedience trial and checking out the vendors there. (that's where I got mine)

Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
It sounds just like a leash one would use for formal obedience training. I would try going to a local dog show or obedience trial and checking out the vendors there. (that's where I got mine)
^ exactly!

I was supposed to compete in an agility trial the weekend before Thanksgiving where there was also a conformation show and plenty of vendors. Leather leashes were on my shopping list. But I came down with a terrible cold and decided not to leave my house. Our next (local) dog show isn't for months.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quality leather is expensive. Latigo leather will be softer and very strong, so possibly that is what you are searching for.

I would look at the dog shows or agility events. I want to touch and smell the leather and examine the stitches before I spend big money on it.

If you have a higher priced saddlery in your area, they will have quality leather and might have dog leashes. Or you could go to a western saddlery, purchase a latigo (part of the cinch system on a western saddle) and take that to a shoe repair shop and have them cut off the correct width piece and stitch it to a quality snap and loop the other end into a handle. You could end up with 3 top quality leashes that way. Perhaps sell the extras and end up with yours for free.

I know how frustrating it is to find and purchase quality equipment, so I wish you good hunting.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Sorry. I had a really top quality source of dog leashes on-line and I just googled and they appear to be gone. Or at least someone else has taken over their name. I couldn't find them.

If you have a big dog, try searching for schutzhund supplies. They use a big solid leather leash that is soft enough to hang onto. Expect to spend some serious money.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM

857 posts, read 2,219,556 times
I got my very soft leather harness and leash from Petco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs