Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,129,453 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for your loss...Brownie, may flights of angels see thee to thy rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,487,164 times
I keep checking back to see how you're doing, as I am sure many others are doing. We are thinking of you.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,466,051 times
Thank-you so very much everyone. As I came and read messages here yesterday, I just sobbed my heart out, over and over. Today was fits and spurts. Everytime I thought I had a handle on it, something would be said or happen and I'd choke up and the tears would come.

I took her brother Sandy down to see the vet today. They were from the same litter. Since the post-mortem won't be back for a few days, I wanted her to at least check his lungs with the stethoscope to see if he had any sounds. She checked that and gave him a good feel all over for tumors, checked his eyes, his throat, and haunches. He got an all clear. She said he sounds great. We discussed that I've changed his food to one solid can of Science Diet mature in the morning and one at night. Inbetween meals is a little snacking of treats, whether it's a piece of what I'm having or a dog cookie. We're hoping to get ten pounds off him reasonably easily.

He made some God awful snorts and sounds last night that kept waking me up. The snorts and such would stop and I'd come right awake, like, BANG! lol I'd lay there and listen for another snort to make sure he hadn't dropped dead too. So, having a clean bill of health makes me feel much better.

He misses his sister. We both do. She was such a PITA on a daily basis. LOL In a good way. I loved her to pieces, but she was an alpha female who tested me multiple times a day, every day. To have that gone from my/our lives is stressful, but we'll adjust with some time. She was such a tormenter in so many ways and I'm finding out how quiet the house is now without her here as Sandy is quite docile and agreeable. She on the other hand would come bark at me when she'd decided she wanted something and it was up to me to figure out what the bark was meant for. LOL Do that 10 times a day for 12 years and you get a sense of what life was like around here. lol Inbetween that, she would play and tease, and cavort with Sandy and so he is at a loss.

He walks half way across the deck and turns to me with this puzzled face that seems to be saying, 'HEY!, What the heck. Where is she and what do I do now?' SHE was clearly the brains of the operation and the instigator. I think he'll find his footing with the loss of her, it'll just take us some time. You know how some people have personalities that are larger than life? She was like that. She filled up a room!!! You didn't have a choice of noticing her or not. She wouldn't take no for an answer if she really wanted something bad enough.

She was VERY good at being told NO quite firmly and appearing as though she would appease my wishes, but in reality, she figured out, all she needed to do was wait until I was distracted and she could go back to whatever devious thing she was up to... sneaking out of the yard, digging in the trash, eating a kitty 'snack' from the litter box, etc. LOLOLOLOL She drove me crazy, but I still loved her. Still haven't figured out if it was because of her nutty self or in spite of it. I do know I miss her and am so glad I had such a great dog for 12 years.

Thanks again for letting me go on and on and for taking the time to care. It really has been very helpful to know so many dog lovers understand and care.

All best,
Coastal

Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,248,777 times
My heart goes out to you, we lost our Dobie last summer. She was a cancer survivor x2, believe me those extra years we had with her were cherished everyday. In the end it was her heart that got tired at 13 1/2 years old..always was a sweetie even after all she had been through. Her Cat as do we miss her so much, I dread the Holidays even more than usual, first year is the hardest.

after she was gone found some unopened rawhide chewies on top of the fridge where we kept them. She would always hide them * first, them bring them out to have cheese put on them. So I have hidden them for her. Just as she would have/in the closet in some clothes. Might sound odd to some but I had to do it lol. And it feels good.
Come to think of it,,she liked stuffing them in the couch too.

Last edited by Summerz; 11-04-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM

I forgot to add, the doc also suggested Sandy and I take a ride over to the MSPCA in our town. LOL I said, 'THIS quick???' LOL She went on to say, sure, do a drive by... lol... let Sandy see the other dogs. Maybe you'd want to ask if he could go in and play with one or two of them.

I told her about how I want my next dog someday to be a relative of 'Watson'!!! LOL She was not amused because she thinks of all the beautiful babies in shelters. I'm thinking I'd like to be almost as crazy in love as Mrs. 1885 is about dogs one day. Wouldn't that mean I could have both?

I also love cats though. I have had more than one cat at a time for many years. I had 3 dogs and 2 cats for a long time. I don't know which I'd like more. More cats or more dogs or a mix of each.

I guess all of us need some time to decide what we want as a family unit and whose needs are most evident and necessary now. The rest will follow naturally. My heart is huge (albeit wounded right now), my home is an open sanctuary. Time will guide us all.

But the vet did get me laughing with her suggestion. That, as Martha would say, is a good thing!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,487,164 times
What a nice story. Such a clever little veterinarian you have there. Yes, you must drive by the shelter so that "Sandy" can see other dogs.

Thank you for keeping us updated, Coastal.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM

519 posts, read 1,379,378 times
Aww she sounds like my Maddie a reincarnated teenager. lol Test and patience. She is my baby though!! Time heels wounds, my heart truly goes out to you. Nothing harder than losing a loved one. It will be hard on Sandy, I had a dog Bear that lost her pal and we had to put her on meds for awhile because of being depressed just watch him.. Love with our fur babies is a wonderful gift.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:26 PM

The vet called me a short while ago and the post mortem showed that Brownie passed of a virulent cancer called, Hemangio Sarcoma. She said it normally is seen first in the spleen or liver, but on rare occasions it is found in the lungs where it comes on quick and death is fast.

Chemo wouldn't really have been a sensible option because the low dosage of chemo that dogs can receive, wouldn't have been strong enough to buy her any appreciable amount of time.

While I'm missing her terribly, I am relieved it was a cancer that took her quickly, before she really even felt sick or in pain. That is a blessing from above.

Sandy is faring all right. My friend of 43 years came over for dinner last night and he was SO happy and excited to see her!!!!! It was the happiest I'd seen him in quite some time. LOL She brought him a big rawhide stick with a peanut butter ball on the end of it and he scarfed that down in record time!!

I think in about a weeks time we'll go to the Rescue and see if he takes to any females there. Friendship for him would be a good thing!

Just thought I'd share the final chapter in Brownies story with you all. Thanks everyone for your wonderfully kind and gentle words of solace. Really a great group over here. {{Hugs}}

CM and Sandy

Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,693,534 times
Dear CM and Sandy,
I'm so sorry your beloved Brownie has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for sharing your story and love for her with us. I truly believe that dogs are the most giving and loyal of all creatures. The unconditonal love they bring into our lives is such a blessing. It will get easier with each passing day, but Brownie will live forever in your heart as my dear Kiki does in mine.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,391,907 times
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Brownie. My thoughts are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs