Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times

Advertisements

We have a 1 y/o 33lb female foster dog that is at best guess mix of Parson Russell Terrior/Beagle/Shep. We've had her since we found her on 11/20/09. The night we found her we took her home in our sedan and then took her to the ER to scan for a microchip. She rode with me in the passenger front w/o any issues. I've taken her for a few mile ride twice in our SUV and she's heavily drooled and thrown up both times. I thought the first time she was scared b/c she was by herself, so this last time today I loaded up our dogs for social support and she still drooled and threw up. I don't think it is motion sickness, I have all the windows cracked for air flow and drive very slow and non-erractically. Both times I took her for a drive it was 7+ hours after she ate and she still threw up. I've also played music in the car and try to talk to her.

I dread tomorrow's 25 minutes trip to/from the s/n clinic. Realistically, I know she'll get sick even though she won't have any food or water after 10pm tonight.

I need suggestions from all you folk who have been there done that b/c in a few weeks we'll be headed to our cabin and she's probably going too. The drive is 4 hours one way! I figure we have between now and then to work on things. Please fire away with your helpful suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Try a few very short rides.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Like around the block? Seriously we have only gone a two-four miles out and back the two times she threw up. I'm willing to do almost anything at this point.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
My dad's golden used to get motion sick all the time in the car. Didn't matter if we drove fast or slow, windows up or down, bumpy road or smooth. He'd get this drooly, smile look on his face and then- yarf!! Our vet back then told us to give him the same med that is used for kids getting motion sickness, I don't remember the dose, and to hold food away from him for 12 hours before a long trip. This was 10-15 years ago though & I'd doubble check with your vet to see what he reccomends for motion sickness, or if he thinks there could be a more serious problem. Until then, I'd put her in the back seat with a tarp or an old blanket covering the seat & floor. At least it might make clean up easier...

Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
you've been doing everything i would suggest.......

dave was really drooly in the car the first month or better that i had him...... but all of his rides ended with him going someplace REALLY fun for him and he has gradually gotten to the point that he likes to look out the windows ..... will even sit himself backwards on the back seat to watch out the back window..... and will hang his head out the window when we traveling slowly enough..... like through the neighborhood....... still workin' on learning good car legs though......

when bailey was a puppy, she ALWAYS got car sick when she rode in my then room mate's car..... a stickshift..... never had a problem riding in my car.... always automatics......

the only other thing i can think of is maybe some benedryl or a mild sedative from the vet........

there was another recent thread on this topic ...... the op's vet prescribed something called cerenia, i think ....... said it worked well......

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone!

I searched for previous posts and found similiar ones in 2008, but they didn't contain the information I was looking for. I must have over-looked the recent post regarding this. My apologies.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-01-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
It could be both nervousness and motion sickness. Or, the drooling (and swallowing) could be causing the vomiting.

Our dog would drool terribly in the car, get very nervous, etc. He would get nervous just walking past the car parked in the garage!! For even a quick trip to the vet he would drool up 2-3 towels.

We started out very slowly to acclimate him to riding in the car. Each of these steps were repeated several times a day, for at least several days, until his nervousness passed. First we just walked him near the car. When he was fine with that we started the car and walked him near it (all future steps were with the car running). Then we opened the car door and walked him near it. Then quick in and out of the car...then for longer and longer times, finally being able to get all the way in and close the door. Then SHORT rides, like up and down the driveway, then longer trips. It took a 4-6 weeks for him to be comfortable in the car. Now he takes car rides with no problems whatsoever (except that he SNORES, lol).
The farthest we take him is 1.5 hours and that is several times a year, will be more often this year. I'd have no reservation taking him on a longer trip.

Depending on how your dog responds to the acclimation lessons, you might consider leaving her home for the long trip or talk to your vet about sedation. I'd hate to see her go through the training but have to endure a 4 hour car ride before she is ready. You might have to start the training over again, never-mind the stress you will cause her.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Read this excellent post by FiveHorses:

Canine Car Sickness or Anxiety?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
I've had much success using an all natural product called Happy Traveler, no puking, no shaking, panting, etc. Just less stressful for all of us. I believe there are similar, all natural products but that is what we use. Our vet doesn't like to give meds unless it is absolutely necessary.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Drooling PRECEDES vomiting. It is a NORMAL parasympathetic response! Have you ever notice that before YOU vomit you salivate excessively? That's a pure parasympathetic nervous system response, and is followed by vomiting. Both centers controlling this are in one tiny area in the brainstem. Drooling is part of the vomiting reflex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs