Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,412 times

Advertisements

I have had 3 Shelties - the first one I didn't know what to do about anything, so he barked and ran in circles all the time. When he was stolen I was sorry for about 5 mins. But I was bound and determined to have a well trained Sheltie, so I tried again - got another puppy. BUT, before I brought him home I researched and found out what I (CAPITAL I) needed to learn BEFORE he came home. I found out how to TRAIN HIM to NOT BARK. When someone came to the door that I didn't know (UPS, etc.) I would let him bark, BUT, when friends or family came and I didn't want him to bark I would just say "NO BARK!" and he'd shut up! Imagine that....a dog that minds. It's not the dog - it's the owner that needs training. So read all over the internet and find out what to do, get your Sheltie, love him and relax. They are extremely intelligent and trainable - are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM

745 posts, read 1,650,389 times
I used to raise them. Years ago.
I had 3 in the kennel at one time that were OK. They never barked at nite and seldom in the day.
Then there were 2 (from different times) that went absolutely nuts as soon as they heard the mail man approaching. After he left they settled down.
I had a lovely Blue Merle when I lived in town in Texas. She spent hours outside in the yard. I don't even remember her doing more than a woof, and that was when someone was at the door.
I think the nutty ones must have been top Champion stud dogs that perpetuated thousands of crazy barkers.
I still think they are one of the prettiest of all dogs, but I would never have another one and for the reason of the current barking problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs