Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,547,179 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago my landlord came outside when I was walking Bella and asked me if there was anything I could do to get Buster to stop barking when I walked Bella. Basically Buster gets mad when I take her out by herself even though he just went out alone with me, I think he has separation anxiety. Anyway....I told her the only thing I could do was put him inside, but he would still bark, and then asked her if she could talk to my neighbor about his dog barking ALL day because he leaves him outside on his porch when he goes to work because he is a Beagle and chews on the walls and it takes my neighbor about an hour to get home at night.

So I'm sitting in my living room doing homework and all I hear is Haywood (my neighbors dog) howling and Malcom (my landlords lab) running the fence in their yard and barking. Both dogs barking at the top of their lungs and obviously my landlord not doing anything about it. I mean she can do what she wants with her dog in her yard because it's HER dog in HER yard, but when it causes my neighbors dog to bark constantly and if anyone has heard a Beagle bark it can get annoying after about 10 minutes especially when you hear it ALL day long.

I've been keeping Buster inside or trying to take them out together which can be difficult at times because they both suck on a leash, but I've been trying to do my part in keeping my dogs quiet as to not annoy my landlord. No one else here is bothered by Buster. I asked my neighbor who lives in the front apartment and she said she doesn't mind at all, and my neighbor with the Beagle really can't say anything because he knows his dog barks all day because I've told him.

Sorry I just needed somewhere to vent a bit. My neighbor has a bark collar for his dog, but I feel bad that the dog is already left outside all day long I don't want him to have to wear the bark collar all day long either. There has to be something that can be done though. I understand why he leaves him outside.....we live in Dallas he works in Plano and it takes a while to get home and he can't come home in the middle of the day to walk him and apparently he started eating the walls when he first moved in and left him inside all day, but it's been in the 30's, even though the dog has a dog house, and he puts a heating pad in it for him and leaves him a bucket of water, I still feel bad for that dog.

I've done my part, why can't he do his part? This dude NEVER walks his dog, the dog just goes potty on the patio, I realize he barks because he's lonely and most likely needs exercise but is crate training just not an option for a dog that's left alone from 7am-6pm or later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,062,866 times
Do your dogs get along with the beagle? Maybe you can offer to take him for a walk or let you bring him inside with you for awhile?? I don't know what to suggest. I know here you can complain to animal control about constant barking, maybe you can check on that. My neighbor has a beagle and once in a blue moon they go away and leave their dogs at home (they are outside dogs). The beagle always barked every night for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours every night. My husband would go outside and whistle or I would yell his name, and he would stop for a couple of minutes.
I don't know about crate training, I've never done it. I would think that 11 hours is too long of a time to be locked in a crate. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,071,144 times
maybe find a kind and diplomatic way to suggest that the neighbor rehome the beagle.....

along the lines of you know how busy he is, you understand that the dog is demanding, maybe would be better to find him a home with someone that has more time for him.... blah blah blah.....

Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Yes my dogs get along with him, and I have brought him in my apartment for a bit, but it's pure chaos in the house with all three dogs running around, jumping on the furniture to chase each other and then when I put him back outside he barks even more.

And I'm not sure I have the heart to actually suggest he re-home the dog. I have mentioned on days where he is more "talkative" than others to his owner, but I don't think I could just straight up say I think you don't have time for your dog and it's annoying the crap out of me everyday. I'm only here for a few more months and I'm putting up with it, it's just irritating when I am home and I get to listen to his dog bark all day but my dog can't sit on the porch for 15 minutes when I take my other dog out.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,609,905 times
This is a tricky situation, I actually had this happen with my former neighbors. In terms of the lab, I would go outside in the yard and play with the dog, maybe play fetch and tire the dog out so he'll sleep until the landlord gets home. The beagle sounds like he needs stimulation too. I don't know if you have the time for all this, just my suggestions.

Is getting a dog-walker in the middle of the day out of the question for these neighbors? It would at least give the dog some fun and attention...is the lab an outside dog entirely? I understand the need for working dogs to be outside dogs, but in this case, why does your landlord or your other neighbor even have dogs?!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM

My landlord lives in the house next door to our five plex and is the only one with a yard. She lets her lab out to use the bathroom and he'll run around the backyard barking at everything and it gets the Beagle going.

I'm not sure if my neighbor has even considered a dog walker. He does give the Beagle attention when he is home, but I've never once seen him take that dog on a walk. If he has to do his business he's let outside on the patio where he spends all day anyway.

I just don't understand why people get animals if they don't have the time to take care of them. I worked full time for a long time and went to school full time, but I still found time to take Buster on walks and play with him. Now that I'm home most of the time and just go to school a couple hours a day it's easier for me. It's not like the guy is never home, he just works about 45 min away from where we live, but I think he could still find time to walk his dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs