Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,447 times

Advertisements

We have a Scotty mix dog, and when the weather is good he often spends a few hours a day in our large fenced-in backyard, as well as getting long daily walk. In the last week, we have been having cold and ice, so the walks haven't really been happening, and of course we don't keep the dog outside. But I am getting a little worried by how little he asks to go outside to "do his business"- really only 2-3 times a day; then again I don;t blame him, it's bitterly cold outside! He seems to eat ok, drink a little less than normal, but the drinking is difficult to measure as he'd normally also drink out of his outside water dish and from streams on our walks.

So my question is, how often does a dog normally "go"? When should I get concerned, if at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
I have to be honest. 'Cold' in Arkansas is NOTHING compared to cold in the northeast or midwest. My dogs still go for walks (we live in NYC) four times a day. They wear coats (sometimes two or three coats each!) and we go out.

If you get 'The Whole Dog Journal' there's an EXCELLENT article in this month's edition about how to make it easier for your dog to go out in inclement (cold and/or wet) weather.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,447 times
To be honest, the "not going for walks" is more for me than him; I am 34 weeks pregnant and have difficulty balancing on the ice, especially pushing a buggy too (also have 22 months old twins).

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
wow.... do you have YOUR hands full!!

one of my dogs (14 months old) poops once in the morning and once in the evening with a couple of pees in between...... the other one(almost 5) hates, loathes and despises pooping in the backyard, so will go 2-3 times on our morning walks.......

when my older dog was about 1 or so, i asked the vet about this and she told me that all dogs, like people, are different and will have their own routines.......

Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Artie is a puzzle when it comes to doing his business. We (he) has a fenced-in backyard where he'll pee all the time, but he'll only poop there when he's desperate.

When we go for walks, he'll pee (to mark) almost every blade of grass (or snow pile, as it is now), but will only poop on his schedule.

Sometimes he'll poop once a day (which stresses me out), sometimes twice per day (that's OK in my books), and sometimes three times per day. I thank the heavens if he poops four times per day -- but that's really infrequent.

Since you have a fenced-in backyard like we do, I wouldn't be worried -- at least he has an outdoor place to go, and he'll likely alert you if he needs to go before you think of letting him out.

Bottom line: There's no "normal" -- every dog has his own schedule, even if the schedule varies day to day.

PS. I'm NOT 34 weeks pregnant, nor do I have a buggy with twins to push, and even I have a problem balancing on ice. You and your babies have to stay safe -- thankfully you have a fenced-in backyard for your furry baby.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
My dog is so darn high energy. Even after a half an hour of freezing walking she wants more...

We have various temps. here and it can be deceiving..you can't go by the temp. 24 is actually not very cold (we live in a high elevation now). 24 degrees in NY, damn cold (sea breeze). So we can walk our dog until it's bitter about 4-7 times a day.

Her general schedule is get up with me at 5:30 am but I do not walk her till 6:30-7 am because she goes out at 2 am when my husband comes home. Mondays she goes out by 6:30 because he is off on weekends and her last walk is no later than 11 pm.

Okay, so then I take her out again @8 or 8:15 am for a longer walk (15-30 minutes). But it's usually closer to 15 because I am already tired from working out.

She goes out for a run in the park w/my husband (snow, ice, cold and all) anywhere from 11-12 and then he and my son take her out for a walk before he goes to work at 5.

Since it has been so horribly cold on and off I just usually take her out again @7:30-8:15 for a quick pee and that is it till the 2 am.

In the warmer weather I walk her a lot more.

I mainly take her out for exercise not body functions because she is only 2 years old and 'should not need to go out' every few hours.

I have to say it gets very cold up here and she can hurt her paws with the salt...so be careful if you walk your dogs near salted paths.

My dog is the only one who is lucky I am unemployed because if I was not home, she would not get out from 6:30-11 or 12 when my husband is up and ready to walk her.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM

302 posts, read 607,763 times
Having had dogs my whole life thus far....this is what I've found:

When the weather changes to cold, snow, ice or rain (for some breeds).....they can be just like people and not want to endure the elements.

My guy, Oscar, is only 8 months old....some days he doesn't need to do his business as much as others. Some days he wants to play and other days he wants to be lazy.

I've found that the weather can affect an animal just like it does with people.

He probably is just waiting til he can no longer hold his business....if it's 2-3; I personally wouldn't get too concerned. Just keep an eye on him. Also, some dogs with less fur may require a coat or sweater depending on where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
We have a Scotty mix dog, and when the weather is good he often spends a few hours a day in our large fenced-in backyard, as well as getting long daily walk. In the last week, we have been having cold and ice, so the walks haven't really been happening, and of course we don't keep the dog outside. But I am getting a little worried by how little he asks to go outside to "do his business"- really only 2-3 times a day; then again I don;t blame him, it's bitterly cold outside! He seems to eat ok, drink a little less than normal, but the drinking is difficult to measure as he'd normally also drink out of his outside water dish and from streams on our walks.

So my question is, how often does a dog normally "go"? When should I get concerned, if at all?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
My dogs have been asking to go out much less as well. Today is the first day its gotten up to 20 degrees for a while; its been down in the teens. My Westie is going to GO THROUGH THE WINDOW if he does not get a walk soon!

But I do notice he asks to go out less and less. On a fair weather day (even in the 30's); he wil spend hours outside on the deck and in his yard.

Not too much lately!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
My dogs don't get walks as I am handicapped but they do have a fenced yard to run around in. My pitbull stays outside a while if the temp is above freezing. If not, he and the GSP head right back in after "business," no playing around. The GSD couldn't care less about the temp, she'll lay down in the snow. They go outside for business about 4 or 5 times a day but it might be also to check out the yard or birds or whatever.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,699 times
We don't usually wait for our dogs to "ask" to go out. We make them go out, whether they want to or not, when we get up, before we go to bed, whenever we come home, and about an hour after meals.

As far as weather goes they are funny. It seems to be less about temperature and more about sunshine. We have noticed that it can be 25 degrees and sunny and they are just chillin' in the backyard, sunbathing. It can also be 65 degrees but cloudy and they are knocking on the back door to come in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs