Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,515 times

Advertisements

As warm weather is here, we have been taking the dog to the park a lot more. Some of you may have seen photos of Rosie in the "pugs" thread.

Rosie is completely harmless, yet she has gotten into the habit of gruffly barking should anyone new approach us, including children. I find this is off putting to parents and a little embarrassing - the kids always want to pet her, and I end up explaining how she is harmless but a bit "funny" with new people.

I feel this is partially my fault as I didn't do the best job socializing her as a puppy - but what can I do at this point? I guess we live a pretty quiet life - mostly me and the dog at home... also Rosie FREAKS if I go further than about 5 feet from her, anywhere.

I realize this is a rather general description, but any helpful hints would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
The first thought that comes to my mind is her vision. How old is she? Do her eyes have that somewhat cloud-ish look to them?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 43,719 times
Try giving kids treats to give to her. Eventually she will associate kids with good feelings.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
My terrier that passed away was like that, especially with kids. Kids make small dogs nervous so as long as you have her on a leash just don't let people touch her unless she approaches them. Don't be embarrassed, some dogs are just like that.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. She is very young, yet - about a year and a half, so I hope it isn't a vision problem... yet something to consider!

I have my own two little kids so you would think she would be used to kids, but I guess she can smell the difference!

I like the treats idea, too - but I think the kids' parents get scared when they hear Rosie barking - they figure she may bite. So for the moment it looks like just not letting people touch her. It's very hard, though, because kids really seem to gravitate to pugs - I often hear them coming "oh, a PUG!! let's go see the PUG"!! and then they are so disappointed when they can 't touch her.

I am going to be joining a "meetup" Pug group once I move, so perhaps that will help get Rosie used to more different dogs, in any case

Old 05-25-2007, 02:02 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
Children frequently send, "prey signals," to dogs that they instinctively react to. In other words, children act like something the dog should hunt down and kill. This is why it's super important to be careful with any dog and children. Small dogs can be deceptive. We think they're just being cute or, "funny," but the dog is focused on the child in an inappropriate manner. Small dogs can cause skin breaks and do damage to children but because of their size, they get away with behaviors large dogs do not.

Do not expose your dog to situations where the dog may act aggressively and may bite a small child because the child looks like dinner. The best thing to do is to carefully and slowly expose the dog to small children while the dog is leashed and, if necessary, muzzled. Children love to interact with small dogs as they look like puppies and it's up to you to protect the dog from the children.

It's not fair but it's the reality. Whether the child deserves the bite or not, the dog always loses out in the end. Unless the dog is on its own property and acting to defend property or family, the law will side with the person who gets bitten.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 AM

Oh, I definitely agree with you - but of course I would never have her off leash in these situations! this is usually in a park or some such thing, and I know too much about dog bites to do such a thing. Hence my problem. I was bitten quite severely by a dog as a child, so I would never take the chance. I just think it's a shame as kids love to ooh and aah over my dog.

Just as a little clarification, by "funny" I didn't mean "ha ha" funny... I meant "weird" funny - believe me, I'm not laughing - it has been quite stressful which is why I posted.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 8,911 times
I think these messages are old..Kitty did you find a solution for your pug?
I have a 1 year and half old pug and he is acting the same way as yours. He has been well socialized. He is adorable, very sociable but...with kids he is a nightmare. As soon as they approach he goes ballistic...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Never assume your dog is harmless, if he going "ballastic" when kids or dogs are near. He's barking for a reason(in his eyes) and that could very well be his first sign of defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs