Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,348 times

Advertisements

I adopted a 13 month old dog from Save A Pet 2 years ago. They spayed her and she is a wonderful dog.. She is a rat terrier mix. I noticed a lump on her left breast area. I took her to the Vet right away and the initial Vet scheduled surgery the next day and did a needle biopsy. I brought her in the next day and another Vet examined her and said he preferred to wait and see if it changes and I am scheduled to bring her back in on the 15th of Feb.. Am I doing the right thing by waiting??It is driving me crazy.....I am so worried. She has been thru hell in her young life.. I just want the best for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM

Wish I would get some feedback here.. or just some support..I just moved to the area I am in and really don't know the Vets here..Just don't understand 2 entirely different views on what should be done with my dog by 2 Vets in the same practice...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,708 times
I really don't have any advice for you but I'm sorry you both are going thru this. Did the results of the biopsy come in? Is that why the second vet wanted to wait? What were his reasons as compared to the first vet?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
I'm guessing the biopsy came back and gave the second vet reason to wait. Dylan had a lump/bump on his head a few yrs ago...basically the same situation. They scheduled him for surgery in 3 days...but once the biopsy came back, they decided and wait and see. We ended up having surgery anyway about 1 month later...more of a piece of mind, than lets wait to see what happens type thing.
If your really concerned...and I would be as well, why not call your vet(s) and ask for a explanation? Keep us posted and fingers crossed it all turns out well.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I've got no advice -- I'm sorry -- but I'm sending you warm and health-filled thoughts along with some virtual hugs. I'm hoping that you and your girl get through this just fine.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
I adopted a 13 month old dog from Save A Pet 2 years ago. They spayed her and she is a wonderful dog.. She is a rat terrier mix. I noticed a lump on her left breast area. I took her to the Vet right away and the initial Vet scheduled surgery the next day and did a needle biopsy. I brought her in the next day and another Vet examined her and said he preferred to wait and see if it changes and I am scheduled to bring her back in on the 15th of Feb.. Am I doing the right thing by waiting??It is driving me crazy.....I am so worried. She has been thru hell in her young life.. I just want the best for her!
It could very well be a common and non-cancerous growth that is generally called a "fatty tumor". Fatty tumors can show up just about anywhere on the body of your dog but from what I've seen are most common in the neck and upper torso areas. They are very common in pups that have been starved and then fed quickly to get weight on the dog. (Its always better to gradually increase food to a starving dog). Couple of questions for you....Does the lump seem to be attached and unmovable or can you move it back and forth? How large is it? By "breast area", do you mean the area that runs right under the neck area but above the front legs or in the area of the rib cage? You said they did a needle biopsy...what was the result? Finally, do you trust your vet and their opinion? If not and if it would give you some peace of mind, take her to a different vet to get a second opinion. Remember to take all of her records with you. Good thoughts to you and your pup. Let us know how its going!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks guys..The lump is beneath her middle teat on the left side, the size of the tip of your little finger.Doesn't seem to be able to move it. The first Vet did the biopsy and said he really didn't suspect anything but wanted to get it out right away...The older Vet in the office said he would wait if it was his dog..sometimes he said it could spread like wildfire if it was cancerous.. but he wasn't confirming it was indeed cancerous. So I will call back Monday when he is in and try to figure this whole situation out, I guess I was so happy to hear she didn't have to be operated immediately that maybe I was trying to be positive and pray for the best..THANK YOU..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs