Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,202 times

Advertisements

Lab tests reveal high level of ALT, AST and GGTP. Total protein 7.5 and Total Bilirubin 0.5. Any help or guidance will be appreciated. We had been feeding 'Grass Saver' crackers for six weeks. We are in-between vets (new location) and have been told to have another set of blood work in a month. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any help/suggestions/thoughts of 'what to do'. In the meantime, I worry about cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,088 times
Couple of questions, did your old vet suggest any dietary changes? I am not familiar with Grass Saver crackers, what are they? Did your old vet seem concerned about the high counts? If you are also that worried about the elevated levels, then see your new vet as soon as you can.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly. The old vet said to stop the Grass Saver crackers (Green Grass from PetSmart) 'neutralize' the urine to stop killing of the grass--tall red fescue. Although he said the ingredients in those crackers should not cause the elevated levels, we are to stop dispensing and find a vet in our new location and have both consult and get another set of blood work in a month. We have not changed the dog's food--GoodLife Recipe--used for several years. Our old vet said, 'he's the picture of perfect--until I looked at the blood levels.' Since our last ten-yr. old GSD died from hemangioscarcoma, of course, my first thoughts are liver cancer.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:05 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,088 times
I would just keep an eye on your GS's urine output. If the urine becomes dark (dark yellow/orangish), then I would make an appointment sooner. Also take note if your dogs fecal output changes in color (lighter)and consistency. Otherwise, if the dog is acting fine, not showing signs of any sickness then follow up with the vet and new bloodwork. Wishing your dog great health!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Once again thanks for your thoughts. We do have an appt with a vet in our new location next week and do have copies of the latest blood work. After consulting with another vet (ours is presenting at a vet seminar) today, we now have an antibiotic and Denamarin (milk thistle and????)--a 30-day supply. And thanks for the healthy well wishes.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
Once again thanks for your thoughts. We do have an appt with a vet in our new location next week and do have copies of the latest blood work. After consulting with another vet (ours is presenting at a vet seminar) today, we now have an antibiotic and Denamarin (milk thistle and????)--a 30-day supply. And thanks for the healthy well wishes.
This is a good group for canine liver problems

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Canine_liver_support/

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
This is a good group for canine liver problems

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Canine_liver_support/
Terrific info. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 AM

Default Update

For those who may be interested--Recent bloodwork showed all levels within normal limits except the ALT (down more than 50 pts however). He was taking amoxycillin and Denumarin for three weeks and will return for another workup in a month. And, of course, no more 'green grass' cookies. We aren't out of the woods yet; but hopeful.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Glad to hear your friend is doing better.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
For those who may be interested--Recent bloodwork showed all levels within normal limits except the ALT (down more than 50 pts however). He was taking amoxycillin and Denumarin for three weeks and will return for another workup in a month. And, of course, no more 'green grass' cookies. We aren't out of the woods yet; but hopeful.

That is great news, Suzanne. I wonder if the green grass cookies were just a coincidence or...? I also have never heard of them. But then, we live way out in the boonies and products like that are not something we would use.

Keep us posted, as we have had GSD for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs