Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times

Advertisements

If she's drinking more than usual, she could be getting diabetes. I had a cat that I had to give insulin shots to for a couple of years before he died of old age. I'm diabetic and can attest to the fact that the needles are so fine that you don't feel it going in.

I got a used copy of Patricia McConnell's book "The Other End of the Leash" from Amazon. She has a Ph.D. in animal behavior and is well known for her work. Even after owning dogs for 40+yrs, I learned a few new things in just the first few chapters. I'm sure a library could also get it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,983 times
I did not read all the replies to your thread. Did the fight break out because of the food there?
Once they fight that is just the beginning. I had it here for several years and I sadly had to have one of my females put down. For years she was the apha female (I had 6 females) and over the years she lost her spot as alpha. There was tension in my pack for a long time. She would growl and start fights, all my dogs would jump in. Last Jan. was the final straw. My little deaf one was ripped apart on her chest and had to go to emergency and have tubes put in and many stitches on other places of her body.
With your two it is either the food or an alpha thing going on. You can NEVER, EVER leave them alone for a second, even outside! Do you know they can have a personality change at around 4 years old. Mine definately did. That is when the fights started. Mine almost killed my little Pom and my Peke. I had to adopt out my little Peke. I did everything to keep Suzie in the pack but when that last fight happened and I looked at my deaf one all chewed up the choice was evident.
I am going back and read all your replies now.
Riv, thanx for your help with the moms and babies in that Jack. shelter. We cannot find a rescue as of yet. Will PM you. Hope everything is ok with you right now.

Last edited by Blondie621; 02-17-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on this forum in a while for a variety of reasons, but here I am again and I need some help .

I have 2 female pit bulls/pit bull mix. One is 9 and the other is about 3-4 (we can't be sure). We brought the younger one in almost 2 years ago from the street and after the initial scuffles, the 2 females got along fine. In fact, they really adore each other. If we're home, they are always together. They play and snuggle and sleep on each other. When we're not home, they are separated.

Tonight we (people) were snacking on some cheese and crackers and suddenly the dogs broke out in a fight. This is not common between them, but it does happen from time to time. We did the usual and separated them physically, waited 5-10 minutes, then brought them together again.

Any other time this has happened, they immediately "make up" and we all move on - it is over. But not tonight. Tonight, the younger female approached the older one to "make up" and the older one would have none of it, she turned her head away and started a low growl. So a second fight .

We then brought them out into the backyard to give them some more space and again the younger one wanted to make up but the older one just tolerated her presence. Back in the house, a fight erupted again. They just charge at each other. It's rapid fast and it's ugly .

So now, the older female is in our bed and seems content while the younger one is at the gate of the hallway waiting for the other dog. It seems to me she is forlorn over not being with her buddy, but I can't be sure. Maybe she wants to eat her .

I know dogs always need to make up quickly after a fight so we're very concerned about this. We live in a little bungalow, so these 2 need to get along, there's not a lot of space to separate them.

We're thinking we'll take them for a late walk in a little bit and maybe that will help them bond again? Other ideas???
Please read this article. Redirected Aggression in Dogs | eHow.com *ANY dog exhibiting unusual behavior can be considered dangerous - especially breeds that are very strong and have some innate tendencies toward being protective, territorial or aggressive.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Ok, I read all the replies and everyone had something good to contribute. The fact of the matter is that these two dogs will never get along again and a future fight will always ensue. I know, I lived with dog fights here for over 5 years. (all of my dogs are pit mixes except my Jenny and my little male Chi) Once they fight, it sets the process up for many more to come.
A hint of advice, keep a leash on each one when they are around the house with you. If something happens you can grab once leash and hubby the other. If no leash is on them and a fight breaks out, you have to try to grab the back of there collar with one finger and twist it so they cannot turn there head to bite you. It becomes a frenzy when they fight, terrible.
The last fight it was my Suzie, (the personality change one) and my deaf dog. Well, Chyna came in on it and then in came Jenny. I had 4 big dogs all fighting. I had a fear for about 3 seconds I was just gonna have to let them all kill each other as I was not able to break it up right away. It was a frenzy just like sharks. I got two by collars and my Bf got another and one backed off. My God, my heart was beating out of my chest.
Beware Riv, it is not over between your two. I have no real promising advice for a solution but to keep a strong, sharp eye out and when you are not home keep them as far apart as possible. How old is your young one?
I also have an Amstaff that is food aggressive and had two fights over that. My Amstaff is totally kept on the other side of the house as she does not get along with a couple of my others. Pain in the butt!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote ]

This should answer all your questions!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but for that one dog...the world is changed forever. "We find beauty in the most incomprehensible places and the otherwise homely faces. It is our gift to see beyond the dirt, terror, sadness, and defeat and find the true soul that lies within. We are Rescue.

I love all my death row rescue dogs more than you can ever imagine.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-18-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,484,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Health can definitely change personality. I've seen that several times.
Thanks BlueWillow. Yes, I'm thinking more and more it's a health issue. They're going in for boarding in about a week, so she's getting a check-up then. We'll see how it goes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Yep - same at our house - I will say that in time, that 'sight' reaction seems to get a bit better - or it has at our house. We actually 'double' gate the areas where we have ours separated - so the two gates are about 2' apart - where that they can't even get close enough to nose through the gate at one another - because initially, that desire to get to one another would not have been held back by a flimsy baby gate

We had to cover the gates initially too.....
Oh wow!! We did that too!! My husband set up double gates and we ended up laying a blanket over one. I thought we were having to be extreme...guess not! At this point, we are back to single gate but still no physical contact. The younger dog is ready to play and doing her little "play dance" and all that, but the older one can't be bothered.

I'll keep you all posted on how this develops. Drama Dogs .

Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If she's drinking more than usual, she could be getting diabetes. I had a cat that I had to give insulin shots to for a couple of years before he died of old age. I'm diabetic and can attest to the fact that the needles are so fine that you don't feel it going in.

I got a used copy of Patricia McConnell's book "The Other End of the Leash" from Amazon. She has a Ph.D. in animal behavior and is well known for her work. Even after owning dogs for 40+yrs, I learned a few new things in just the first few chapters. I'm sure a library could also get it for you.
I'll look for the book at my used book store....thanks Belle .

Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Ok, I read all the replies and everyone had something good to contribute. The fact of the matter is that these two dogs will never get along again and a future fight will always ensue. I know, I lived with dog fights here for over 5 years. (all of my dogs are pit mixes except my Jenny and my little male Chi) Once they fight, it sets the process up for many more to come.
A hint of advice, keep a leash on each one when they are around the house with you. If something happens you can grab once leash and hubby the other. If no leash is on them and a fight breaks out, you have to try to grab the back of there collar with one finger and twist it so they cannot turn there head to bite you. It becomes a frenzy when they fight, terrible.
The last fight it was my Suzie, (the personality change one) and my deaf dog. Well, Chyna came in on it and then in came Jenny. I had 4 big dogs all fighting. I had a fear for about 3 seconds I was just gonna have to let them all kill each other as I was not able to break it up right away. It was a frenzy just like sharks. I got two by collars and my Bf got another and one backed off. My God, my heart was beating out of my chest.
Beware Riv, it is not over between your two. I have no real promising advice for a solution but to keep a strong, sharp eye out and when you are not home keep them as far apart as possible. How old is your young one?
I also have an Amstaff that is food aggressive and had two fights over that. My Amstaff is totally kept on the other side of the house as she does not get along with a couple of my others. Pain in the butt!
No, it did not start over food. We were in the backyard. I think it is an alpha issue. My best guess at this point is that the 9 year old is not feeling well (or simply feeling her age) and she'd been top dog. So it might be a changing-of-the-guard kind of thing. The younger is now about 4 but came into the home as a 1&1/2 or 2 year old (vet's best guess).

Because they got so out of hand, it's a bit more complex than simple hierarchy, but that would be the core issue I think.

I believe you're right. This may never be over between them. It has cooled down tremendously but they've growled through the gates at each other here and there in the last few days. It's the 9 year old instigating, but then she's always been a bit of an instigator.

It's a huge inconvenience living like this but we're keeping both dogs.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Please read this article. Redirected Aggression in Dogs | eHow.com *ANY dog exhibiting unusual behavior can be considered dangerous - especially breeds that are very strong and have some innate tendencies toward being protective, territorial or aggressive.

20yrsinBranson

Thanks for the link. Yes, my older dog has always displayed some misplaced aggression. As I understand it, a small percentage of dogs will simply have this, it's genetic.

In her earlier years, she lived with our much larger male Bullmastiff-mix who was a teddy bear. He would never fight her back when she'd hassle him so nothing ever came of it. She'd make a display at him, he'd ignore it and that was that.

He has since passed and now we have the younger female. When that dog is challenged, she fights...hence my current issue .

None of my dogs has ever so much as growled at a person. This was a case of my husband's hands getting too close while they were in a frenzy. I'd hate for people to think displaced aggression towards other dogs has anything to do with aggression towards humans.

These are not "red line" or "red zone" dogs as in Cesar Milan's descriptions. This was the first time I've ever seen these dogs behave like that. It will also be their last since they will not be given the opportunity again.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote ]

Sometimes you just can't turn your back on a dog. I would never have actively chosen to bring a second female into my household, but there she was, on the street and all torn up and terrified and she needed help. Try placing a pit bull these days. It's basically not going to happen. So you either drop her off at your local dog pound where she'll be put down in 3 days or you take her as your own.

I don't know. Sometimes I think I am crazy for putting up with animal issues, costs, etc., that most people would never consider doing. Then there are times when I see one of my dogs sleeping contently, belly full, cozy, warm, protected and sheltered and it just sort of embodies the wish I have for all animals everywhere. I can't take care of them all, but I do what I can, however little that is.

When I take an animal in, that's it. They have a home for life. Through thick and thin. I may divorce my husband, but I'd never divorce my dogs !

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-18-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM

556 posts, read 2,088,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I thought we were having to be extreme...guess not!
Not extreme to me We also find that by double gating, we have created a 'safe zone' for us to move from room to room, without a chance encounter by the dogs. Always having at least one gate 'in place' before going through the next one....We laugh though - we're not very graceful, and when we step over those baby gates, instead of releasing the tension and keeping our feet on the ground - we know we are going to face plant one of these days

Our boys have settled into a pretty good routine, and they know when we start moving them, they have to 'wait' in one spot, before one can come between the two gates, then we use the gate between them as a 'rotating' barrier, and then we switch who is on each side.....probably funny to watch - but if you are living with a situation like this - you can relate - and I so agree with you - when we bring a dog into our home - that decision is permanent - 'until death do us part'.......and we aren't speeding up that process by letting these two feuding dogs have a go at one another again

Riveree - glad you and your husband and girls have a workable routine that keeps everyone safe and content....and to me, it's a pretty normal one Drama dogs indeed - just know the girls don't corner the market here - it happens with the boys too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs