Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM

18,066 posts, read 27,523,270 times

Advertisements

Pet Park

Could this be the dog's answer to the litter box? Or just a gimmick that further leads to bad potty training?

When I saw the very end of this vid that doesn't show here, it showed some doggie telling us how much theses dogs really like this contraption. So... they really are advertising to the lowest common denominator. Or maybe it works? Who knows?

Many people in the YT vid seem to wonder, "What if they go #2?" Well, what if they do? You clean it off the artificial turf I guess. But how do you clean the whole contraption? Take it into the bath tube and run hot soapy water on it?

Is it me, or would this contraption work much better with say... a yorkie or a chihuahua than a big old Saint Bernard or a Great Dane? Why didn't they install a little popup hydrant and tree? They could also serve as handles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,600,037 times
A gimmick is my choice. Once trained to go inside, they will never want to go outside.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,693,023 times
this seems like a terrible idea.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,925,494 times
I think that teaching your dog to potty inside is just what your doing, teaching him that it's OK to potty inside. I've heard of people using indoor devices and they say it's really hard to get them to go outside when they no longer want the dog to potty inside. I don't care for inside potty methods for that reason and I don't want my house smelling like dog pee and poop.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,466,965 times
Actually.....my daughter has something similar to this...although not the grassy mat. It is a huge pan, that is lined with pads that sit underneath a grate.
In her case, Kota, the Wolf-Hybrid can not be left outside...she is a master at escaping. So, while my daughter is at work...and sometimes this could run 12 hrs...she leaves this, and what she calls the "piddle pot" out for Kota. The alternative is crating her, which really isn't an option for that length of time. Kota seems to know, when the tray is out, it is to be used...when not, she rings the bell at the back door to go out. It is only used when my daughter knows she will not be able to get home to let Kota out to do "her thing". So far, it has worked well.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM

18,066 posts, read 27,523,270 times
Wolf-hybrid. When I lived in the Denver metro area a long time ago, I worked for a car dealership. We had to work on Saturdays and when we left, the guy who was in charge of the guard dogs was there and there was this dog under one of the cars in the lot. I asked him about her. He said she was a 6 month old pup who he hadn't trained yet. I told him I wanted her.

I got her and named her Sheba... half wolf and half shepard. Beautiful dog. Huge black shepard with a huge bushy wolf tail, wolf eyes, and a strong wolf strut. Didn't have that typical sloping back hip that a shepard does. Problem? Couldn't keep her from roaming. The dog pound found her and we got her back... they left a note that it was a beautiful dog. We gave her away to a guy in the country. He couldn't keep her in either. So I took her back to her owner reluctantly. The dog guy had died, but his daughter took her and promised me she would not become a guard dog.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wolf-hybrid. When I lived in the Denver metro area a long time ago, I worked for a car dealership. We had to work on Saturdays and when we left, the guy who was in charge of the guard dogs was there and there was this dog under one of the cars in the lot. I asked him about her. He said she was a 6 month old pup who he hadn't trained yet. I told him I wanted her.

I got her and named her Sheba... half wolf and half shepard. Beautiful dog. Huge black shepard with a huge bushy wolf tail, wolf eyes, and a strong wolf strut. Didn't have that typical sloping back hip that a shepard does. Problem? Couldn't keep her from roaming. The dog pound found her and we got her back... they left a note that it was a beautiful dog. We gave her away to a guy in the country. He couldn't keep her in either. So I took her back to her owner reluctantly. The dog guy had died, but his daughter took her and promised me she would not become a guard dog.
LOL...Kota would never EVER be able to make the cut on a guard dog. Not an agreesive bone in her body. If you do a search, you will find a few threads on her. My daughter found her in Utah, after watching a guy dump her and her whole litter out of a pick-up. Kota was the only one alive among 7-8 other dead rotting puppies. At the time, she hadn't a clue she was a Wolf-Hybrid. Thankfully, she, if anyone is very equipped to handle such a dog. So far, so good. Kota is just about 9 months old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs