Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times

Advertisements

I own a Boerboel Mastiff/Golden Lab mixed male (Buddy), now 2.5 years old, and I can confirm everything ShelbyGirl has posted. While I have seen dogs with more energy, there are not many. It also requires a very dominate personality on the part of the owner. These are very muscular dogs, more muscle per pound than other mastiff breeds. So the owner also has to be physically strong. On a more positive note, Boerboel Mastiffs do not drool as much as other mastiffs.

I would definitely not recommend this breed for a first-time dog owner. Not so much because of its high-energy requirements (at least while they are young), but mainly because of their behavior. They will regularly test you to see if you have what it takes to control them, and if you don't....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
the bark and attitude can be just as intimidatiing as the the size..... my cattle dog mix girl is about 55 lbs or so, but will make people nervous if they approach the car or house and she feels mistrustful.......

Old 02-23-2010, 05:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the bark and attitude can be just as intimidatiing as the the size..... my cattle dog mix girl is about 55 lbs or so, but will make people nervous if they approach the car or house and she feels mistrustful.......
Agreed! Even Dylan, the goofy Golden, can be, and is quite intimidating when he doesn't trust someone. His hair stands on end making him seem larger than he really is (65 lbs) and his bark and growl ring your ears! Just ask the group of guys who boarded our boat dock without permission a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!! Guy dropped them off and left...( I have no idea why), and Dylan wasn't about to let them come through the yard...they were stranded on the dock...had 2 choices.. swim or Dylan...until I came out to see what was up.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 AM

389 posts, read 1,096,320 times
I work at a Doggie Daycare and I encounter 60-80 (sometimes a 100) dogs a day. The mastiffs that come here are VERY sweet, but they are the most bullheaded stubborn breed here. If they don't want to do something...they are not going to do it and you can't make them. (Well, you can, but it takes more than one person to move them). Anyway, as a first time dog owner I wouldn't recommend them.

I like the another person's earlier suggestion of a retired greyhound. They're great low key dogs. Also, italian greyhounds are pretty laid back too.

Quote:
What I really want is a big, intimidating looking dog who is docile with me and will be happy with just a walk. I was thinking a Bullmastiff would fit the bill. But everyone has brought up valid points so I need to do some more thinking and reseach. The very last thing I want to do is to get a dog only to return it because we are not a good match.
German Shepherd. If any breed is intimidating looking, I would pick that one. Plus, they are very smart and easily trainable. They're also very protective of the owners. Or you could look into getting a great dane too. But with all pure bred dogs you have to find a good reputable breeder.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,954,032 times
Italian greyhouds are toy dogs. VERY FRAGILE toy dogs. They break legs routinely. I would NEVER recommend an IG to ANYONE doesn't want to show these dogs. They can fracture legs by just jumping off the sofa. And they are absolutely NON-tolerant of any cold (or even cool) weather!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Actually,the cattle dog was one of the breeds we looked at when we first began the research that led us to the mastiff. They are really cool dogs.

Lemonegg, one book we used during our search was The Right Dog For You by Daniel Tortora.
This book desperately needs to be updated (we bought it in the early 90's), but still it is a detailed book about many breeds, and Tortora does not shrink from listing any negative traits or problems associated with the breeds.
Buying a used copy for $8 would not be a bad investment.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Actually,the cattle dog was one of the breeds we looked at when we first began the research that led us to the mastiff. They are really cool dogs.

Lemonegg, one book we used during our search was The Right Dog For You by Daniel Tortora.
This book desperately needs to be updated (we bought it in the early 90's), but still it is a detailed book about many breeds, and Tortora does not shrink from listing any negative traits or problems associated with the breeds.
Buying a used copy for $8 would not be a bad investment.

i knew NOTHING about them when Bailey picked me out at the shelter.... but did my homework and studying and have fallen head over heels in love with the breed..... i don't know what she is mixed with, but whatever it is has given her a larger body but she kept the short little cattle dog legs....

Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM

389 posts, read 1,096,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Italian greyhouds are toy dogs. VERY FRAGILE toy dogs. They break legs routinely. I would NEVER recommend an IG to ANYONE doesn't want to show these dogs. They can fracture legs by just jumping off the sofa. And they are absolutely NON-tolerant of any cold (or even cool) weather!
Er...okay. My step-sister has 2 of them. Both sleep on the sofa routinely and even <gasp> jump back off! They have survive intact so far. Also, we've had them in daycare too and daycare can be a very rough environment. Guess what? No broken legs. They're not as fragile as you think (the puppies might be, but most puppies are).

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
I tend to agree with Toresdale. If you are looking for a large breed dog, a German Shepard would be a good choice for the first time dog owner. They are very intelligent, territorial, loyal, and only require a moderate amount of exercise. Take them for a daily walk and give them a yard to play in and they will be happy campers. They are also good family dogs.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Before this gets out of hand, I want a dog as a pet and companion first. I look forward to taking the dog out for long walks and just having it around. But I know me and know I will not change my lifestyle and go running and/or jogging with it. That's why I'm interested in a low energy dog so we will be a good fit.

What I really want is a big, intimidating looking dog who is docile with me and will be happy with just a walk. I was thinking a Bullmastiff would fit the bill. But everyone has brought up valid points so I need to do some more thinking and reseach. The very last thing I want to do is to get a dog only to return it because we are not a good match.
Great Pyrenees. Easily top 100 pounds. Massive couch potatoes. About one of the most laid back easy going breeds I've ever met. And thanks to back yard breeders there are tons of them in shelters dying every day. Finding one should be easy. I took in two Pyr puppies a few weeks ago that were both owner surrenders. 11 weeks and 4 months. Both adopted in two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs