Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,163,518 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to get a small indoor dog for the family. We have a huge Labradoodle, and want a small lap dog as well. What are some of the smartest ones, w/ the fewest health concerns? We have 3 kids, and they have all been taught how to act around & take care of pets.
I have it narrowed down to Pomeranian, Poodle, Papillon, Havanese, Lhasa Apso,Maltese. I'm not opposed to mixed breeds, but I've always loved reading the ancient history of where each breed came from. Thanks for any help & personal experiances! Pics would be a BIG plus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Oops, didn't see the other thread about small dogs!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,437,605 times
Here are my two favorite small breeds:

Yorkie and Dachshund/Cocker mix. How can you not love those faces

Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,931,269 times
MA, sooo cute!

OP, how old are the children?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,983,039 times
If you didn't have a 'huge labradoodle' I would ask about the ages of your children. However, you DO have a large dog and the combination of a toy dog with a big one is NOT safe. Large dogs, even though playing, have been known to injure, and even kill, toy dogs.

My parents have a sweet 63 pound dog. As gentle as they come. But when I visit them I need to watch my little dogs (especially my rescue chihuahua whom I can't put on the floor when their dog is in the room) because their dog could misplace ONE paw on her back and she'd be paralyzed, if not dead.

This is not a good idea. You can never leave them alone together. Toy dogs are fragile and generally aren't good around small children or big dogs.

A few people on this forum have had the experience of a playful large dog killing their toy dog. Some people learn the hard way.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If you didn't have a 'huge labradoodle' I would ask about the ages of your children. However, you DO have a large dog and the combination of a toy dog with a big one is NOT safe. Large dogs, even though playing, have been known to injure, and even kill, toy dogs.

My parents have a sweet 63 pound dog. As gentle as they come. But when I visit them I need to watch my little dogs (especially my rescue chihuahua whom I can't put on the floor when their dog is in the room) because their dog could misplace ONE paw on her back and she'd be paralyzed, if not dead.

This is not a good idea. You can never leave them alone together. Toy dogs are fragile and generally aren't good around small children or big dogs.

A few people on this forum have had the experience of a playful large dog killing their toy dog. Some people learn the hard way.
That is a good point. However, when we lived in the country, we had a tiny Pom, and Doodle was as gentle as a lamb w/ him, tiptoed around him like he was walking on eggshells. The Pom would crawl all over him in "attack mode" & Doodle just licked & loved on him him like a Mama dog. Doodle is mostly an outside dog, and the puppy will be an inside dog.
My kids are 14, 7 & 2 1/2, (the youngest has cerebral palsy, cannot walk independantly) and all are great w/ animals. We used to raise chickens,ducks,turkeys,etc. & they learned how to handle tiny, fragile creatures. Never lost a baby chick/duck/poult due to any accidents!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,983,039 times
You realize every breed you've considered requires professional grooming? It's NOT cheap. There are so many dogs in the pound (including small ones) that desperately need homes. And they're in the pound because so many people can't afford their dogs, much less their over-mortgaged homes. I work in pug rescue and it's so sad to see people have to surrender their dogs because they simply can't afford them any longer.

Please consider a rescue! My tiny chihuahua was dumped at the pound, through no fault of her own, and she's a FABULOUS dog!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM

Yes, I realize that, I have experiance in grooming. I don't need a lecture about homeless animals, but thanks! I realize that there are those who are anti-breeding of any sort, but I am not one of them! I prefer to know the history of any animal I bring into my home. I insist on meeting the parent dogs, to see what their health & temperment is like.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,597,289 times
I've had three small dogs: a Yorkie, a Maltese, and a Westie. My maltese was the most laid back of all of them and probably required the least amount of work. He was loving but also independent and not always a lap dog. He was playful, gentle, could walk for miles and good with kids. Medium energy level . . laid back. He was pretty much a one-person dog though - not really friendly with strangers until he got to know them. I kept him in a puppy cut so grooming was not a huge ordeal. It is if you let the hair get out of hand. No shedding whatsoever.

My Westie is a lot like that only more .. dog-like. He likes to spend a LOT of time outside whether we are out there or not. He's very independent but will cuddle on your lap at night. He's great with kids - but he also spent his puppyhood at a soccer field surrounded by adoring kids. He's a digger. High energy. He's very sturdy and can take some roughhousing with kids. More so than the maltese OR the yorkie. Not as patient as the maltese. He would be the happiest in a busy home but would require a lot of walks to keep him exercised and calmer. Westie's have an easy coat . . but there is some shedding.

My yorkie I would not recommend for small kids. She is tiny, fragile, reactive, and fearful. She's a lot of work and a source of constant worry due to her very small size and she also has health issues.

I would recommend a maltese or a Westie for a small dog. The maltese will be more fragile though and is more fine boned than the Westie. The maltese will not be a stubborn as the Westie. The Westie will enjoy a little more roughousing than the maltese.

That's my weigh-in!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,597,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Here are my two favorite small breeds:

Yorkie and Dachshund/Cocker mix. How can you not love those faces
Your dogs are adorable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs