Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of changing dogfood to the Kirkland brand from Costco? They have three different types, Chicken/Rice, Lamb/Rice and Healthy Weight.
Does anyone buy any of these? Does your dog do ok on it? Such as healthy coat, firm stools, overall well being, etc? The price is great. I'm currently buying Hills Science Diet and it's getting too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Our dogs eat only that food. I give them the purple bag and they are doing great.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Our dogs eat only that food.
I give them the purple bag and they are doing great.
I heard from a rescue dog person that seemed 'in the know' that the dry Kirkland was
just terrible stuff...she
went on about China and beef and what they do ...she went on and on!
I buy cases of their cans for $17, tho...and do Rachel Ray dry.
All is well, so far.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
There was a recall earlier this year after it came out that over 5000 dogs since 2007 got sick and and over 1000 died from dog treats made in China. Some brands were Milo's Kitchen Chicken Jerky Treats and Chicken Grillers, Waggin' Train, Canyon Creek Ranch and Vitality. We were feeding our dachshunds these treats. We since switched to brands labeled 'Made in USA' but still you really don't know.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times
my sister's dog only eats that brand. he's very healthy.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I heard from a rescue dog person that seemed 'in the know' that the dry Kirkland was
just terrible stuff...she
went on about China and beef and what they do ...she went on and on!
I buy cases of their cans for $17, tho...and do Rachel Ray dry.
All is well, so far.
From the DogFoodAdvisor site, Kirkland dry dog food rates 4/5.
We do the Kirkland Nature's Domain which got a 3.5/5.

Our dog did great, but YMMV as with any food.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
Our dog is a Rottweiler & Doberman mutt. Both breeds are known for sensitive skin and food allergies.

We rescued him two years ago and he's only eaten the Nature's Domain dog food since we've had him. I alternate every few months between the red and blue bags. He's never had any bowel issues and his coat is thick and shiny.

I would recommend this brand to anyone that cares about their dog.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I been on Kirkland exclusively for at least 6 months going on a year. Its not a miracle cure for skin probles or allergies but just as good if not better than the Royal Canine $80 a bag stuff I was buying from my vet. I buy the limited ingredient and grain free variety from costco. My dogs seem to like it. I just recently started making my own dogfood, got a thread posted about how I did it if anyone is interested so going to see if that clears up my bulldogs skin problems, allergies, licking, but if not will proably go back to a mix of costo and homemade together to stretch it a bit longer.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I've been feeding Kirkland brand to all my dogs (13 of my own and countless fosters) for over 25 years with no problem. Since they introduced the Nature's Domain variety I've been opting for that some of the time just for a bit of variety.

The nearest Costco is now 90 miles away but I've kept my membership mainly for the dog food because the savings on dog food more than covers the cost of membership and fuel to make each trip. I go about once every 3 or 4 months and stock up. When I had 6 big dogs of my own and usually 3 or 4 in foster care I would fill the Suburban with 30 bags of food and the employees would help me load it on several carts and into my vehicle. Then I would go back in to the store for round two of my shopping - cat food, coffee, toilet paper, laundry soap, etc. Yup, I was very tired at the end of the day and it all stayed in the Sub. until the next day*.

* Except that one time when I unthinkingly went on a Friday and had to empty it out that night so that I could load several foster dogs, crates, x-pen, canopy, table, chairs, etc to take to an adoption event the next day at Petsmart.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I feed my dogs Kirklands Nature's Domain Turkey (Red bag). I also feed them Natures Domain canned food.

During hunting season my male GSP eats 4 cups dry twice a day + 1/2 can wet twice a day. Sometimes I free feed depending on his activity level in the field. My female is about a 1/3 less of his requirement.

They all are doing well on it. However I also feed them venison/goose/duck whatever heart, liver, scraps as well as beef bones from my neighbors meat cutting shop.

They eat well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs