Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times

Advertisements

Copper came with Purina (blech). I'm not even sure how long he nursed form his mother, since the rescue found him and his litter abandoned at around 8 weeks old.

Anyway, I want to feed him the best diet possible. I contacted a local breeder, and she feeds her beagles a combo of homemade food and Merrick kibble. I'm not sure how intensive making dog food is, but I'm willing to try it.

What do you feel is the best thing to feed your pets? What brand do you use and what breed do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I have a beagle/basset and a labrador.

I used to feed them Purina One Lamb & Rice, but it's garbage and they were allergic to it.

I switched them to Nature's Recipe Venison & Rice. Their allergies went away.

Because it was difficult to buy, I tried that Rachael Ray dog food. They both got immediately sick. They weren't getting enough nutrients! My labrador started eating dirt!

So I tried Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. It worked just as good as the Nature's Recipe but it was way more expensive.

As a result, I switched them back to Natures Recipe Venison & Rice. It might be more inconvenient for me to buy, but it's a good dog food and it's fairly affordable.

No biscuits. Their treats are fresh vegetables----carrots, broccoli, etc.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-20-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble for ratings. Stick to one that's 4 stars or higher.

Mine eat raw in the morning, Orijen at night. I have a Bulldog and Boston terrier. I know Orijen isn't the easiest to find, but it's one of the best foods on the market, ingredient wise.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
My LabX eats Canidae Grain Free ALS

My two Bostons and Frenchie eat Orijen Regular Adult/Orijen Fresh 6 Fish and Alcana Grasslands - all three on a rotating basis.

They all get a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, greek yogurt and a probiotic.

For treats, I use Wagatha's Biscuits and Zukes Beef/Chicken Filets.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
They all get a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, greek yogurt and a probiotic.
I'm glad you mentioned this. Mine eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in addition to their dog food.

I had a peekapoo who lived for 22 years and her diet consisted of Cheerios and a variety of people food. Lots of fresh vegies and fruits. Anything we were eating (we ate healthy---no processed foods in my childhood). She also ate a little moist cat food each day because she would always bully the cats when they were eating.

Bottom line: My peekapoo never ate dog food in her entire life and she lived for 22 years. She didn't eat a raw diet---just Cheerios supplemented throughout the day by unprocessed people food.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
AvoDerm or Wellness.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Wellness Core, original formula, turkey & chicken.
A lot of our food, beef, chicken, cottage cheese, tuna, fruit,
carrots, cereal, etc......

Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
My most recent rescue dog came on "Science Diet"....and it was also sold at the vets.....but the more I read....the more I was sure it wasnt good for them.....they were having enormous stools....which told me.....they cant digest all the fillers.

I have just got them switched over to "Prairie" and have been rotating .... so far the salmon; the chicken and next is the beef. Then there is also venison and I think lamb.....there is no corn....the grains are barley, brown rice and something else.....the same company has a frozen raw food and canned food.....my dogs like their new diet and are really looking much better....sleek shiny coat and the stools are much smaller....I believe this is a good product.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble for ratings. Stick to one that's 4 stars or higher.

Mine eat raw in the morning, Orijen at night. I have a Bulldog and Boston terrier. I know Orijen isn't the easiest to find, but it's one of the best foods on the market, ingredient wise.
Raw sounds interesting to me. My only concern is germs. He loves to lick everything and everyone. I'm worried about him eating raw meat and spreading it around with his constant licking.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Regular ol IAMS. Plus the occasional scrap from dinner or whatever falls. This doesn't count occasional biscuits or a rawhide though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs