Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times

Advertisements

I have POS neighbors who literally abandoned their two dogs to their backyard like 18 hours a day. They let them out around 8am every morning and not back in again until as late as 2am sometimes, no water, no food is put out for the last week or so. I have done the AC thing and dogs have no rights so I am basically taking care of them from the other side of the fence. I was able to find a spot in the corner with some trees and bushes where the people cannot really see me and I dropped a bowl down over the fence. I pour water down into it three times a day. I have been giving them bicuits and all kinds of bakery doggie cookies but they need food! Since there are two of them I cannot drop any dry food down as they may fight and I cannot separate the dogs with two fences between them and me. Is there anything nutritional I can feed them in solid form? I am on my way to the petstore but was just wondering if anyone had any input here.
Thanx in advance,
Someone who cares!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Maybe the logs of food - the ones that look like wrapped meat or jerky treats. That is a tough one. Could you call the local ASPCA? Sheriffs Office or Police? E-Mail the HSUS and they will put you in contact with their regional person who can tell you what you can do legally to get the dogs removed...If they see dogs not being fed and neglected, they have the authority to take them away. Could you talk to the neighbor and ask them if they need help? Maybe they don't have the money to feed them and there is a local pet food bank that could assist? I think it is great that you are helping out, but keep in mind that if you feed them, the case for them losing the dogs due to neglect is non-existent.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Bless you for helping them. All the advice Alley gave is good. How are they acting when you throw the biscuits over? Does it give you the impression they'll fight over food?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

They are a young couple in their 20's, druggies with a 6 month old baby and a 3 year old. They do not care about the dogs. I will post pics of them. The short haired skinny dog literally dug a two foot by 5 foot trench in the cold damp ground to sleep in this winter. They lay in filth and dirt. According to AC the dogs have to be half dead for them to size them. They sent me the city ordinances and pets laws, sucks!!!!!! I took a piece of my stockade fence out so they can interact with my dogs. I feel so bad, they sit by the space in the fence all day waiting for me to bring them treats. It is not a good situation.
Until I can figure something out they need food. I have the AC guy going their in the next day or two but not much they can do except show up everytime I call. The dogs have no shelter and are also out in the rain so AC forced them to bring from the driveway a plastic kids playhouse for shelter, wtf?
Here are the poor doggies:

This is their makeshift dog house that only the short haired one lays in at night.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Although I would never suggest doing something illegal. Is there any place that these dogs could go if they were to "accidentally" escape?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM

That is exactly what my VERY compassionate, animal lover Ac guy said!
The short haired dog is a barker. He barks at a leaf dropping. Every time I walk to the fence to throw treats over he barks and brings attention. One night the idiot came running out with a flashlight. OMG, I had to huddle on the ground by the fence and stay real quiet. Good thing I turned by backyard spots off, then my lab/mix barked up a storm and backed him off? Phew! That was a close one.
There is a part of their chain link fencing that does not meet up to the neighbors fence to their right. About a foot and a half. That is where I put the water dish. If I pull two panels of my stockade fence out the husky will gladly come thru to me! The other one is shy, timid and will bark like crazy and alert the owners. (I would have to do all of this in a minute) He will not come thru to me. As bad as he has it there, he defends his space and will not leave it. What to do?
I need advice on food for now. I am doing as best as I can with a fence in between me and those poor dogs. OMG, they make me cry. I cannot even go to sleep at night until they are let in. The husky mix is so sweet and I here him whimpering by the fence in the morning for me. He is hungry and wants attention.
Why they have these dogs I dunno, so sad. Breaks my heart.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM

268 posts, read 704,005 times
EXACTLY WHAT VA SAID. In my situation in Alabama when trying in vain to get the attention of the proper authorities for a poor neglected dog's sake, I truly thought that working with AC and others was the way to go. After a YEAR of watching the dog decline and being informed of the "owner's rights", I realized that it would have been better had I never gone through those channels, had they never heard my name and the dog just oops disappeared, they wouldnt have come and questioned me. The dog Im referring to was kept chained, unable to reach a moldy, usually empty bucket or a dilapidated leaky, filled with rusty debris shed ( her shelter?) her chain was constantly getting caught up on tree stumps and I would lie in bed and hear her cry all night long, every night. When cold weather was coming, I bought her a plastic bed to lie in, the owner took it from her. I fed her, knowing she would need to be in good shape to survive the oncoming season. AC told me to stop feeding her because she would need to decline and be in horrible condition before they could legally do anything.
In the end, because she was vulnerable to anything having access to her, a male stray impregnated her. The day I saw her close to giving birth, lying on broken glass all alone, was the worst. The owner finally agreed to give her up. But I learned a valuable lesson in all this. Every single agency told me that while her living conditions were deplorable and they hated it, the owner knew enough to be just this side of legal, and so there was nothing that could be done to help her. He had no love in his heart for this dog!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM

The timid one will be all yours in under the minute you said you need it to be if you coax it over with a piece of raw steak. If you can watch till the owners drive off one day, good opportunity. I would make an arrangement in another town for them, at a vets or a rescue, you cannot keep them at your house. Im just sayin....this is what I would do....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Oh Dee, I am sitting here crying over that neglected dog by you. UGH!!!
This goes on all over the country. So much animal abuse and neglect.
AC says these dogs here have to be half dead emaciated to seize them, only for them to be killed in a shelter.
Dee..... these people have NO CAR! They leave the house very little and when they do they bring the dogs in!!!!!!!!!
The problem is I have to snag them when the people are home and that means nailing the fence back also. There is a gate in the front side but I dare not go there. They idiots in the front part of the house and too many people around the neighborhood outside.
If I only get the one quick, they will know it was me as how did the dog get out with the gate closed. First thing they will think, dog was stolen, and ME!
This is a tough situation. I told AC to get them to surrender the husky. That will give me time to slack off and get the other one. Two dogs is gonna be impossible while they are home. I have done rescue for many years and I need to be secure with a situation. What if this guy has a weapon? Which he probably does.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 AM

I agree, what youre describing is near impossible. Do you think they'd let you buy the dogs? In my case, the stubborn owner actually kept the dog, I think, because of arrogance, once he realized others would gladly provide for her. The most I got AC to do was leave him straw when it started snowing, and when they came by for a visit afterwards and asked where was the straw? he said he wouldnt give it to her, she would make a mess with it...now, if you wouldve seen the filth and mess of this place and his reasoning for denying her some warmth....honestly, its hard to wrap my mind around it. What I also cant believe is that these kind of situations go on in towns, in suburban backyards, and people turn a blind eye and dont get involved! If I hadnt tried to help this girl, I couldnt have lived with myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs