Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

I recently switched Ringo from TOTW to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and he seemed to like it and to do fine. Of an evening, I would put a little bit of Wellness 95% Salmon or Lamb (maybe 1 tbsp) and mix it in.

WELL. The other day, he got into my garbage and ate some chicken and chicken bones. I watched him for about 3 days and he seemed fine.

Last Thursday, I came home to find bloody poop everywhere - it almost looked like strawberry jam. (TMI I know).

I took him to the Vet; they did x rays and blood work. Found no sign of infection and x rays showed no more chicken bones in his system. They gave me a special canned food that is supposed to be easily digestible. For two days, he had only the canned food and then I mixed with his regular dry food. Oh, and he is taking 1/2 tab of Metronidazole twice a day. Everything seemed to be going well. Poop a little mushy (I'm sorry!) but otherwise, no major diarrhea.

Now, the special canned food is gone. I fed him his regular dry food yesterday morning and he ate a little. Last night, regular dry food + 1 tbsp of the Wellness lamb. We went for a walk and again, his poop (sorry) was very runny and loose. Let's put it this way; he got a bath when we got home.

For the past two nights, he has woken us up in the middle of the night wanting to go outside. I thought it was because there is a cat on the other side of the fence - that has been trying to get to a birds' nest - driving him nuts. So we brought him down last night and put him in his crate - where he seems to sleep.

This morning, I found vomit all in his crate. He still has a few more pills to go.

I'm thinking about calling the vet and asking for more of the 'special' canned food for gastroenteritis (sp) that he was diagnosed with.

Any suggestions on getting his tummy back in working order? We are leaving for 2 days on Wednesday and I'm worried. I'm guessing I should cut out all Pupparoni's (which is how we get him inside when he doesn't want to come in).

I thought maybe the BB Wilderness is too much for him - but he flatly refused to eat the leftover TOTW that I still have.

I felt so bad that he vomited last night and laid on wet blankets in his crate while we slept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
oh... poor little ringo.....

don't have any wise words for you.... just sending good wishes that he is better quickly.....

sure do wish they could talk and tell us what the heck is going on with their little bodies....

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
My guess would be the tummy issues are from the Metronidazole as when my dogs have been on antibiotics after a few days they tend to get diarrhea and sometimes even vomit as do many people. Antibiotics can be hard on the digestive system as not only do they kill the bad bugs but the good bacteria that live in our digestive system and help digest the foods we eat. That is why eating yogurt with live cultures in it is recommended when one takes antibiotics.

When my dogs have had to go on long courses of antibiotics I get digestive enzymes and probiotics and they get that with each meal and it has helped prevent digestive problems.

Hope poor little Ringo is feeling better real soon.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Dash,

I hope you are right and that it is the antibiotics that he is finishing up. I called the Vet and they recommended I get and keep him on the 'special' food for a few more days.

I'm scared to give him Yogurt at this point = but maybe there are some probiotic pills or something I could give him.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Yes there are pills!! I keep a bottle of the CVS brand in my regf. I Hate yogart!! PROBIOTIC ACIDOPHILUS

Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
I would ask the vet first about this, but what about giving a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin? I've read that it helps with diarrhea and gastrointestinal ailments in dogs and cats.

Hope your doggy feels better soon.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 PM

I've heard canned pumpkin is good too. He seems to like the 'low residue gastro .' food that the Vet has. I'm to give him only that for a few days; hold off on his Comfortis and Interceptor and continue the Metronidazole. He said that the Metronidazole was supposed to help his bowels - not make them worse.

Anyhoo - got six cans of the stuff and Lucy's Sentinel to the tune of $97.

Now off to clean out his crate.

Sigh.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Please keep your vet updated on his condition (vomit, stools). It could be that the antibiotic is upsetting his stomach. Suggest calling your vet and asking about giving your dog Pepsid (or generic equivalent) if the vomit happens again.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Dash,

I hope you are right and that it is the antibiotics that he is finishing up. I called the Vet and they recommended I get and keep him on the 'special' food for a few more days.

I'm scared to give him Yogurt at this point = but maybe there are some probiotic pills or something I could give him.

Thanks!
Why would you be scared to give him yogurt? Very few dogs are lactose intolerant. I would be much more nervous about the bacteria in probiotic pills which can include a whole variety of bacteria which may or not be good for dogs as opposed to the Lactobacillus acidophilus, found in yogurt that are known to be fine for dogs. Additionally supplements (especially those for pets) are not held to the same purity standards as foods for human consumption.

My dogs rarely have stomach ailments (raw food diets give them tummies of steel) but once one of my dog had to have oral anitbiotics after surgery. She had similar symptoms to the ones you describe and I gave her 1/2 cup of yogurt mixed with plain cooked brown rice for a day (Dannon plain lowfat) did the trick immediately.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
and even if ringo IS lactose intolerant..... yogurt is just fine..... i know .... **I** am lactose intolerant and eat a lot of yogurt..... the lactose is pre-digested by the organisms in the yogurt..... i THINK that is the case.... MAK explained it a while back.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs