Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 PM

955 posts, read 3,651,435 times

Advertisements

We have a sweet little five month old min. Aussie / Corgi mix - love him to pieces and he is great with our kids... lots of energy of course

He is not so great with other dogs... now that we have him fully vaccinated and neutered, I am signing him up for a puppy class, but any other tips on how to help him get socialized - he growls and barks and he gets a little aggressive with other dogs..

My brother's dog did visit over Easter, and they got along well, but I want him to socialize better with the neighbors dogs, so we can take him out more etc...

He is great with new people - no issues there at all - we also have two cats and they all tollerate eachother - not best buds, but they get along... it seems to be new dogs.. I'm hoping that puppy class will be good - other pups his age etc... I just want him to be well adjusted I know younger exposure to new things is better, so hope we didn't miss our window... I wanted him to be fully vaccinated etc before we exposed him to anything like parvo etc...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by BusySocialWorker; 04-14-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 05:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,464,803 times
Your on the right track. Puppy class will give him exactly that...basic manners and socialization. It will be up to you to continue that out of class, in and around the neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 878,804 times
Socialization and training won't end after the puppy class. These are lifelong processes. You're in that critical period now though, so definitely get a move on conditioning her to love other animals. After your puppy class, enroll in a positive reinforcement/clicker training class to learn the basis of the clicker method. then you can take that to streets. As you approach other dogs and your dog is calm, click and treat, If she is reactive to the other dog, do not click or treat, turn around and ignore. Repeat repeat and repeat.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM

955 posts, read 3,651,435 times
Thank you both

Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,675,270 times
Put him thru the Petsmart obedience classes. When my Mom took her beagle for the classes there was a little boy with his 3 month old mix breed who wanted to attack all the dogs. By class number 4 that pup was in love and played with all the doggies!
Make sure after that you take him everywhere you can in public!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs