Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times

Advertisements

I have a 11yr old pointer mix that we've been struggling to get weight off. We've got the thyroid meds going, increased activity as best we can with arthritis and now it's time we gotta change the food. I have both dogs on Evo, but it is obviously too calorie rich for our senior. Anyone have success with a lower calorie kibble that dogs like???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
I had great success with Wellness Senior/Weight Management but I don't see it on their website now. I'd adopted a 10 yr old small lab mix and he was 92 pounds, looked like an overstuffed sausage casing about to burst. It took about 11 months to get him down to about 48 pounds. I wasn't even sure if I should feed him based on the weight he was or the weight he needed to be so I just went with an amount a little below his weight. As his weight came down I decreased the amount. I added frozen (no salt) green beans to help add some bulk.

I have a farm pond and got him down to it a few times a week so he could swim. He went from barely being able to waddle to finally being able to run and keep up with the other dogs.

What ever brand you go with you just have to be very precise in measuring and decrease it about once a month as the weight comes off.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I cut back on the amt of kibble to what I wanted him to weigh and added can green beans to help fill him up.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I cut back on the amt of kibble to what I wanted him to weigh and added can green beans to help fill him up.
This works well for us too - that and increasing the exercise as appropriate for the age of the dog....like longer walks, more ball fetching, etc...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
Thanks all! Pretty much echo's my conversation with the vet. This dogs of ours is hard to motivate to get off the couch......so we need to address the joint pain to get her comfortable enough to try to engage in play so she can use up some more calories.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
..so we need to address the joint pain to get her comfortable enough to try to engage in play so she can use up some more calories.
Ah, the perfect excuse to build that indoor, heated pool. The dog needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs