Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others. First, I would have your dog checked by the vet. If nothing is medically wrong, then, if you can afford a trainer, do that. If you can't, find a rescue. Others may disagree, but using the term "putting to sleep" makes it sound nice and peaceful. Using the word euthanasia can help you make a better decision. I know that it is difficult, so I wish you much luck in not only your decision, but also in how this works for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I just had a dog euthanized (maybe nine or ten, had her for over a year) because she had had a couple of bloody fights (stitches) with my smaller female- I thought the smaller girl might have started the fights, and the bigger girl wasn't spayed at first (lying putzes she was taken from). Then a couple of months ago, my seniors (all five) were playing with a friend who had a dog toy, except for the smaller female, who is very shy of people and was sitting several feet away. Bigger female jumped out of the group and attacked the small one, full-bore. Eloise (smaller) pooped and peed and rolled under the coffee table, and Nayla kept at her, ripping her skin under her leg. I put a blanket on her head and pulled her off, and kept Eloise in her crate while she recovered, never left them alone again (although they weren't alone when this attack happened).
Then the other day, Nayla jumped on my new little old terrier mix. I ran out with the blanket and she was on top of him. I put the blanket on her head and she turned on me, ripped my ankle down to the muscle. The little guy wasn't hurt. I don't know if she got a mouthful of bandanna or if she was restraining him, but he did gash her face once in defense, and he had what looked like a claw mark across his hindquarters.
After her ten days required quarantine, I had her euthanized the other day. It hit me pretty hard, as she was very sweet when not "in the red zone," and she'd had such a lousy life before. But there was nothing else to be done, if she's a danger to smaller animals and maybe to people. I consulted with the animal control woman who sent her my way and other dog adoption people and they agreed that she had to be euthanized.
I'm not saying that's what the OP must do, but it is a consideration, if the animal isn't adoptable elsewhere and can't live with the other animals or with kids in the house. It's kind of dicey to have multiple dogs with multiple kids, anyway, isn't it? Hats off to the OP for taking abandoned and stray animals- it's a true kindness- but it doesn't always work out. Best wishes.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Why do people keep taking in more and more pets without considering that there may be issues...???

I'm always amazed at their immediate "solution" of putting a dog to sleep when problems arise...
But, then to choose the dog that they've had the longest as the victim... .... the one who must die for their sins... ????

It's always interesting to read all of the rationalizations that they offer as the reason why putting their dog down is the best for everyone involved.... a tough decision indeed.

And still some make it sound like these folks have been some kind of heroes for taking in stray dogs....

I really just don't get it.

Last edited by World Citizen; 04-29-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM

57 posts, read 104,829 times
First let me say THANK YOU for the thoughtful advise. As far as not understanding why someone would take on more and more pets without considering that there might be issues.... well, it was not my plan to keep her! If you would have preferred I let her stay in traffic and get hit, well, sorry. Not going to do that. No, I am no hero. I never claimed to be a hero. I am just someone with a tender heart. Now, do I take in every stray I find? No, not at all! When I picked her up... I actually had not planned on picking her up, I simply planned to get her out of traffic. She had a different idea though, and immediately jumped into my seat! So call me a softy if you will, but I didn't know what else to do. I posted flyers around the area, posted an ad on Craigslist that she had been found, etc. Then, on Monday, I took her into a vet to have her scanned. Yep, sure enough, she is chipped! strangely enough, the owner did call the vet office, but never called me! So I went back to the vet 3 days later. She was curious too, as to why the owner didn't call back. So, she called the service that does the chips, and they had all the notes from our previous call. They tried to call the owners, and the number had been disconnected. So, obviously, they dumped her. So, over the course of these few days, we bonded with her. Yes, if need be, we can re-home her.

My MAIN question has been answered. And that is, does it sound like something has gone wrong in my oldest dog? From the responses, I see that most likely it has not. Do you honestly think I would take a decision so lightly as to just put him to sleep because of fights? Well, obviously, you do not know me.

To the questions regarding his temperment with humans- yes, he has nipped and become aggressive with humans as well. I will try not to give TMI, but, when it is "that time of the month" for me, he does not respond well to me at all! He becomes much more aggressive towards me- however, he has never attacked me. He has nipped me before, but as soon as he realized he had struck skin, he IMMEDIATELLY pulled back. He KNEW he had done wrong, and was very apologetic. He has nipped at my husband a few times, one of which was just the other day- BUT, he was hurt, and my husband was trying to bring him in. He was being gentle with him, but invariably, he hurt him in the process. As every other time in the past, he just barely nipped- didn't even break the skin. And it wasn't aggression, that was to say, "Hey, that hurt!"

I've never been overly concerned with the children- he has grumbled at the baby, when the baby would get to clingy. But he never tried to even nip him, it was just a growl to say, "I don't like this!" Of course, we resolved the situation immediately.

With all this being said, with the advise that's been given, I will defintiely take him to the vet to have him checked out. Unless they tell me it is necessary, I will not put him to sleep. AGAIN, that is WHY I came here, to ask, to get other opinions, thoughts, etc. The LAST thing in the world I want to do is put him to sleep! I've never had to put an animal to sleep, never even considered it! I had a lab that was losing the use of his kidneys, having joing problems, and all the issues that come with bigger dogs getting older. So no, it is not something I see as a "simple solution". The very thought is heart rending.

To go back and answer the question as to whether they are neutered- yes, both males are neutered. The female is not spayed, so of course, we will be doing that. It's only been a couple of days that we've been cleared to actually claim her, since the previous owners did not call to claim her.

Again, I appreciate the advise and well wishes. You all have eased my mind AND heart more than I can tell you!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
the female not being spayed is probably a big part of the problem. see how it goes after she's fixed.

that being said, i'd be very nervous about keeping a dog that has been at all aggressive to humans if i had kids. i'd monitor that situation extremely closely, definitely have a trainer come and observe his behavior in the home, and consider trying to rehome him somewhere with no other dogs or kids if necessary.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
after hearing of all the "nipping" and "growling"...even with the baby? i'm wondering why you haven't already re-homed the dog, or dogs...

i don't believe dogs can be apologetic, just don't believe their hardwired to feel that emotion...i recommend find an experienced dog owner to take one or all of them in...for the kids sake, before something bad happens.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
spay, neuter, re-home
I agree. If you really want three dogs (and can afford them --time and money-wise) then possibly try the training route after everyone is spayed and neutered. If that doesn't work, find a no-kill shelter or rescue group as advised. There's usually no need to euthanize a dog just because he or she doesn't fit into your household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs