Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times

Advertisements

i never even thought of that option, and my family got our dog from a vet when i was a kid!

i agree that some shelters/rescues go overboard in pickiness about who they'll adopt to, but places like that aren't the only options out there for adoption. i doubt they're even in the majority, although that depends on your opinion of what going overboard constitutes. i think it's fair to ask for vet references if a person already has pets, it's fair to ask the person about how they plan to take care of the pet, how much they're home, who lives in the household, make sure everyone in the household meets the animal,find out about the person's history with past pets, etc. i think a home visit is fair. but denying a dog because a person doesn't have a fenced yard (when the person demonstrates a willingness to walk or run with the dog regularly), because the person isn't home 24/7, etc is pretty over the top.

i mean, if i only let my dog out in the yard i'd be neglecting her. she definitely doesn't get much exercise out there unless i'm out there with her. she gets the majority of her exercise on walks and in the dog park, and her life would not suffer at all if i didn't have a yard at all. mine would a little, cause i'd have to leash her up and take her out when she had to pee in the middle of the night instead of just letting her out in the yard. still, i really don't get this obsession with having a fenced yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

i mean, if i only let my dog out in the yard i'd be neglecting her. she definitely doesn't get much exercise out there unless i'm out there with her. she gets the majority of her exercise on walks and in the dog park, and her life would not suffer at all if i didn't have a yard at all. mine would a little, cause i'd have to leash her up and take her out when she had to pee in the middle of the night instead of just letting her out in the yard. still, i really don't get this obsession with having a fenced yard!
I have to agree..sometimes I even think it's a bit of a red flag, because some people really think keeping their dog out in the yard 24/7 is fine and dandy. If you could see how much this goes on out here......even in HOT weather, there they are, thrown over on their sides, panting, obviously uncomfortable, not to mention lonely....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs