Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,434,005 times

Advertisements

My dogs don't bark at anything anymore. In general, this is a good thing. But, my dogs would welcome an intruder with wagging tails, licks and an offer to play fetch.

The UPS driver just knocked on the door and left a package. Jack didn't even bother to stop chewing on his football. Naala and Abby hopped up on the sofa to look out the window, but neither one of them made a sound. This wasn't a person they have ever seen before. Abby whimpered when he walked back to his truck, probably because she was disappointed that he didn't come inside to play.

Yesterday, two twenty-something men came to the door, claiming to be vacuum salesmen (really). Maybe they were legit, but the sideways baseball caps, low-slung jeans and Ed Hardy flannel did not exactly say, "we are professional businessmen". It kind of said, "we are professional scammers".

Anyway, I'm not in the habit of welcoming random strangers into my home, and I have a perfectly satisfactory vacuum, so I declined their offer to come in and demonstrate this awesome machine. While I'm standing in the door talking to these complete strangers, all three of my dogs are just sitting next to me, smiling sweetly. Not one of them ever made a peep! They were out in the yard and did come inside when they heard the knock at the door, but that was it.

I love that my dogs are so friendly and gentle and don't feel threatened in their own home; but, geez, couldn't they at least pretend to be intimidating at appropriate times?

Last edited by tdna; 05-07-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
IF they senced danger they would react!! BTW How did you let them know people knocking were ok?? IF you yelled at them to Shut Up then YOU got your wish LOL

Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 PM

622 posts, read 1,668,344 times
what kind are they?? some dogs just dont have that inherent ability to protect.. my husky will play with anyone who approaches him.. my german shepherd will sense it when someone doesnt like her and light up. heh

Old 05-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF they senced danger they would react!! BTW How did you let them know people knocking were ok?? IF you yelled at them to Shut Up then YOU got your wish LOL
I don't yell at my dogs for any reason.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
what kind are they?? some dogs just dont have that inherent ability to protect.. my husky will play with anyone who approaches him.. my german shepherd will sense it when someone doesnt like her and light up. heh
I have 2 Siberians and a GSD/Boxer mix (who doesn't know that she's not a Siberian), so I my expectations were never for them to be protective or assertive. I know it's not their nature. I'm not complaining, I just think it's funny that they're so chill .

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
My APBT loves everyone and will let anyone enter my yard via the front gate, greeting them with wagging tail and wiggly butt. She does bark when she's inside the house and someone knocks at the door, though.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,913,232 times
I had a Gt Dane who was extremely friendly and laid-back. But when a man leaned up to my car window and scared me, she lunged from the back seat, all snarling teeth in his face. He jumped back so quick I almost laughed. I had a small (25 lb) dog who was also very friendly, until a guest scared him in the middle of the night, going to the bathroom. Charlie was so scared he peed on the floor but he stood there shaking and barking. I fianlly had to pick him up and he was shaking so hard. He was not going to let that person come near me.

They will protect you when they sense danger or fear from you.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,205,313 times
Mastiff, baby - that's what you're looking for.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,695,736 times
my dog barks like crazy at the door; i encourage it, although i've taught her to stop when i say so.

if someone really got in she'd definitely be all waggy-friendly though, although i have a feeling she would freak out if someone attacked me. i'm ok with her being friendly to intruders too, cause i'd rather have that than have her attacking people who aren't intruders or attacking an intruder and getting killed by them. she's an alarm system and that's enough.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,609,204 times
Jazz is very protective and even at 14 she can pull her lips back and expose her teeth at which people back off real fast. Once she meets a person she is fine and she does insist on meeting anyone that comes in the door. On walks she is a good judge of people so is fine most of the time but if a person seems a bit threatening she will assume being the protector.I always feel safe with her around.

Dazzle is another story if some one broke into my house or forcefully entered when I opened the door he would greet them, probably go get a beer and snack for them too. He thinks everyone and everything is good natured and nice like he is. When Jazz barks at someone he looks so puzzled.."why is she barking at that nice man with the gun in his hand? Maybe he wants to play with us so why is she trying to get him to leave?" Clueless and he is not even a blonde!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs