Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

127 posts, read 403,884 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Just wondering what all of you think makes the best Watchdog. We do not want an attack dog, just a dog that will stand its ground should anyone try to break into our home.

We have 2 fawn pugs, one is around 12 yrs old not very healthy due spine issue, congestive lung problem. The other male pug is 9 and the most lazy watchdog you have ever seen. If he hears something while laying down he won't even lift his head,or open his eyes. He'll just go "boof" very lightly. I know he's a couch potato all the way!! He makes me laugh though.

Then there is Shadow, he is our Boston/Pug Mix. He is a good watch dog as he will bark and let us know someone has arrived at our home. But he is close to 9 yrs old and is not as alert as he used to be. Now his barks have turned into more of a bark then a series of whines. Not quite as effective.

I am thinking about in the future getting a larger dog who has a sweet personality towards its owners and familiar people, trainable and is a good gaurd dog.

Please keep in mind I really do not want a dog that sheds alot. (I have most likely ingested a few pounds of Pug hair over the years! So shedding does not appeal to me as I am getting older as well and would like to vacum once a week instead of three times, thank you very much

I like Rotties, Dobies and Staffordshires - but I will not get a Staffy as the look like Pitbulls and I would be devasted to have to give it up if the town were to ban Pitbulls and anything that remotely looks like one. (Very Dumb -but it is happening more and more.)

So please share your ideas on any breeds you think might work for me and please include any or your experiences with the type of dog you suggest.
.......Sorry this was such a long post !
9mm Mike's Wife

Last edited by 9mm Mike; 10-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: my name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
You should not expect any dog to "stand its ground" and protect you in your home if there is an intruder. What you need, if you are concerned, is an alarm system.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You should not expect any dog to "stand its ground" and protect you in your home if there is an intruder. What you need, if you are concerned, is an alarm system.
Why should I not expect that??

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Unless trained most dogs won't be proper guard or watch dogs. Typically though all you need is a big dog that will bark when someone/something is in the yard. Mine practically never barks but someone enters the yard he doesn't know and he gives a couple loud woofs and heads to the door or window nearest the intruder. It has the upside of I know someone is coming to my door long before they knock and I've had quite a few door to door solicitors turn right around and move on to the next house instead of knock, lol.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Newfoundland, Doge de Bordeaux, Irish Wolfhound...

All dogs that are large, great with kids, and terrify the living pants of any would-be intruders.

I prefer watchful dogs to any alarm system. A watchful dog is *there*, immediately, right where the action is happening. An alarm system has to be monitored, then they have to call to see if it's a false alarm, then they have to call the police dispatch, then the police have to prioritize the call, they they have to drive over there, then assess the situation, then, if the criminal is stupid enough to still be there, maybe arrest him.

Criminals hate the sound of a large barking dog. They'll just move on. An alarm system they can trigger and be in an out before the cops show up. Not so with a dog. Not to mention, dogs are smarter than computers. Alarm systems have their use, for certain, and I don't say *not* to use one if you want, especially for when your dog isn't there. But they don't really compare, IMO.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
My JRT barked at intruders, so did my Corgi and now my Sheltie...lots to choose from.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm Mike View Post
Why should I not expect that??
Because most dogs, even those of a breed which people expect to be guard/watch dogs, actually do NOT have the temperament to protect you against someone who is determined to do you harm.

People I consider true experts in training Rottweilers, for example, say that only five percent of them have the correct temperament to be true protection dogs, and then they still need appropriate training. There's a very good forum for Rottweilers that will give you a lot of information about this subject. DM me if you want more info.

The bark of a big dog will deter those people who are just looking for a quick burglary break in, they will go where there is no dog. If you are really concerned about safety, get the alarm.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Unless trained most dogs won't be proper guard or watch dogs. Typically though all you need is a big dog that will bark when someone/something is in the yard. Mine practically never barks but someone enters the yard he doesn't know and he gives a couple loud woofs and heads to the door or window nearest the intruder. It has the upside of I know someone is coming to my door long before they knock and I've had quite a few door to door solicitors turn right around and move on to the next house instead of knock, lol.

That's exactly what I mean by guard dog. I think people (the bad ones) are less likely to keep going if they know there is some teeth on the other end of that bark. Sometimes alarm systems are not as effective as the other posted suggested. That is my opinion and I'm stickin to it

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,427 times
labrador or German sheppard ..... the lab is alot more loveable but a good watch dog ... the shep is just really a guard dog ... easy train and just serious smart....

Old 10-09-2009, 01:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Like the others have said having dog that will truly engage another human [fight them] AND be reasonably social with folks is a rare dog to find and one that needs a highly experienced handler. Most dogs like this are not usually considered "pets". There are many dogs that do bitework for sport but most of those dogs are not suitable for real protection work either.

Go with the deterrent value. The best dog out there is no real competition for a burgler who already knows about the dog and has figured out how to disable it. Big dogs are not small dogs and living with them is very different** - I can't think of any big breed meeting your specifications that does not shed [short dogs actually can shed a lot]. Very few dobes anymore that are good for anything but warming a couch. Rottweilers, you mileage may vary but they are intimidating [but some homeowners insurance policies disallow them]

**the older I get the more I think about downsizing because of the bumps and bruises from having rambunctious GSDs slam into me during play. Also big dogs can do things like eat floors out of homes, tear siding off of walls, etc - so you definitely are in for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs