Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pets: dog bites, pitbull training, animal services.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,182,570 times

Advertisements

I don't think so! I saw this on the news this morning and I had to post it! Just to let everyone know, this isn't a graphic video. There are a few pictures of dogs with some wounds on them, but nothing that looks too bad. So, anyway, the police broke up a dog fighting ring in south Fla, two people were arrested, 15 dogs were taken from the houses and the police are still looking for one more person. At the end of this video someone's sister said that her brothers just an "innocent citizen that ain't doin nothin wrong except lovin his dogs!" This stuff makes me so mad! How can someone sit there and say that these people aren't doing anything wrong?! I wouldn't care who it was, I would call the police on my own mother if she was fighting dogs! I'm very, very, very glad that they arrest these guys though, and I really hope they find the third guy!
Police Bust Dogfighting Ring - Videos - WTVJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 01:48 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,435,612 times
Ignorance and stupidity
I love the way the reporter calls it "Club 8 Kennel" and it clearly states "Camp 8 Kennel" on the sign. Just shows how much attention to detail news stations pay.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ignorance and stupidity
I love the way the reporter calls it "Club 8 Kennel" and it clearly states "Camp 8 Kennel" on the sign. Just shows how much attention to detail news stations pay.
I noticed that! lol! That is true, these reporters don't pay much attention to anything.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM

72,462 posts, read 18,224,294 times
The news reporters have nothing better to do.It's really in-humane, I find it anoying.
I love dogs.I hate people wanting money so bad.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:13 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,916,607 times
"Ain't doin nothin wrong but lovin his dogs"....GMAFB!...excuse my french!...

You know what absolutely KILLS me about stuff like this???
Where in the hell are the friggin neighbors!!!!???? No one hears a damn thing?!...GMAFB!
No one hears dogs getting electrocuted or ripped to shreds during a fight???!!! PUUUHHHLEESE!!
I get so rattled when I hear about stuff like this and knowing that the neighbors don't get involved!
I'm not afraid to get involved...it's how I rescued Lady.
Flush these SOB's out!!

K---I feel better now.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,718,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Where in the hell are the friggin neighbors!!!!???? No one hears a damn thing?!...GMAFB!
No one hears dogs getting electrocuted or ripped to shreds during a fight???!!! PUUUHHHLEESE!!
I get so rattled when I hear about stuff like this and knowing that the neighbors don't get involved!
STUPID PEOPLE RUINING THE BREEDS REP. This is how the public sees them mean fighting dogs.

It is too bad so many neighbors look the other way in all cases, child abuse, drug dealers, ect people just let them be. If they were in the backyard someone should have heard/seen something, but they aren't for sure where they were fought.

Pit Bulls are deathly silent when fighting most of the time. They hardly ever bark unless its a good reason, they tend to not warn before biting/attacking just give a stare down or a whine. Some people think that makes them dangerous because they are not barking/growling before they bite you. So in the case of dogs fighting nothing was probably heard unless is was outside.

I'm not sure about the other part, I don't even want to hear what electrocuting a dog sound like!!!! Or smells like? I would have to think that would smell horrible considering how burnt hair/skin smells it must give off an order. Someone should have picked up on that.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,687,640 times
Saw that on AOl's news, down in Boynton Beach. The guy's brother (Green, I think the family's name is) said sarcastically (to paraphrase): He's the Vick of Boynton (sp?).

The mom sounded like a real maroon in that interview. No wonder that son's a wack-o. Bet she let him burn the house down when he was 8, and said it was OK, he's just s kid...

Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
"Ain't doin nothin wrong but lovin his dogs"....GMAFB!...excuse my french!...

You know what absolutely KILLS me about stuff like this???
I'm not afraid to get involved...it's how I rescued Lady.
Flush these SOB's out!!

K---I feel better now.
I was wondering the same thing! How do people not notice this stuff?! Where was this guys family?! Not one person cared enough to do something? In my opinion, the people that didn't say something about this are just as bad as the dog fighters themselves! Like I said before, I would call the cops on my own mother if she was doing something like this (I never have to worry about that though, my mom is where I got my love of animals from)! It's wrong no matter how you put it, and I don't see how people can sleep at night knowing this is going on and they aren't doing anything to stop it! My husband and I are the kind of people that will call animal services (or the cops, whoever needs to be called at the time) on anyone that is abusing or neglecting any animal in any way! If I see a stray animal I always call animal services and tell them exactly where the animal is, if I can't get the animal to come up to me that is. I just don't understand people! It makes me sick to think of what these poor dogs went through and it makes me sick to think that people knew about this and didn't do anything to stop it!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:56 PM

I was watching Miami Animal Police on Animal Planet today and on this episode they broke up a dog fighting ring and took all of the "pit bulls", I think there were 10 or so? Every dog came peacefully, none of them were human aggressive at all and they were all being walked with each other and none of them even seemed dog aggressive! After all was said and done, a rescue group from Boca took three of them and the rest were put down because they are illegal in Miami and the rescue group didn't think they could be adopted out. I didn't see anything aggressive out of any of them, but with these fighting dogs you really never know, and I'm sure the people at the "pit bull" rescue would take every pit they could. Anyway, at the end of the episode they said that two of the pits had been placed with families and one of them was being trained to be a therapy dog. They showed her going to a nursing home for the first time and everyone just loved her! I really wish more people could see pits like that. Even after all these dogs went through, two of them went to live with families and the other is now a therapy dog! I thought that was such a wonderful ending! I love to see stuff like that and I just wish more people got to see just how wonderful these dogs really are in the right hands!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,718,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I was watching Miami Animal Police on Animal Planet today and on this episode they broke up a dog fighting ring and took all of the "pit bulls", I think there were 10 or so? Every dog came peacefully, none of them were human aggressive at all and they were all being walked with each other and none of them even seemed dog aggressive! After all was said and done, a rescue group from Boca took three of them and the rest were put down because they are illegal in Miami and the rescue group didn't think they could be adopted out. I didn't see anything aggressive out of any of them, but with these fighting dogs you really never know, and I'm sure the people at the "pit bull" rescue would take every pit they could. Anyway, at the end of the episode they said that two of the pits had been placed with families and one of them was being trained to be a therapy dog. They showed her going to a nursing home for the first time and everyone just loved her! I really wish more people could see pits like that. Even after all these dogs went through, two of them went to live with families and the other is now a therapy dog! I thought that was such a wonderful ending! I love to see stuff like that and I just wish more people got to see just how wonderful these dogs really are in the right hands!
I saw that episode too, before!!! I think they could have put more effort into taking the dogs. They only have a certain # of foster homes, but I'm sure it was more then just a couple dogs.

There was no reason to think they "couldn't be adopted out", lame excuse.

Saying these were "fighting dogs you never really know" isn't a good excuse either. Because that would apply to the 3 they took. All of them should have been Temperament Tested to see if they would be good candidates for adoption. You can't know much about most rescues, even owner surrenders and especially strays. Yet they adopt them out of the shelters all the time with no TT.

Being fighting dogs then it is likely they have good human friendly temperaments, as most still adhere to the old ways of culling human aggression. Some of them find puppy killers to be unexceptionable as well because their is no reason for a confident, stable dog to kill pups. I know their are man biters out there, but that is generally uncommon in the breed. None of mine have been human aggressive (no matter the background) out of all the many I have had with the exception of one who is no longer with us.
Even the female who was fought, starved, and beaten is not the least bit human aggressive, she is shy and reserved until she gets to know you and sees she can trust you. The male who was abused/neglect and fought is one of the most friendliest dogs I've ever had. He loves EVERYONE, wants attention from everyone.

Generally the APBT fighting is not like other dogs, they do not fight out of fear or aggression, in some cases they will fight for dominance. In most other dog aggressive dogs they are behaving that way out of fear.

Most fighting dogs are aggressive outside the pit. Just as K9 Officers are not human aggressive and guard dogs do not try to guard everywhere, just their territory. I have seen pictures of Hammonds' dogs together, including a 2 time winner playing on a springpole with another male. I've also seen the same dog with pups and other pics. I believe it was also GR CH Virgil who used to ride around the yard on a 4 wheeler or following along when the rest of the dogs were being fed and he never went to fight any of them and they didn't fight him. When placed in a pit they know its time to fight, its mental conditioning, a fish knows when they see your figures its dinner time. Most APBTs are confident dogs, therefore even fighting dogs will not attack another dog unless provoked, they do not feel challenged or the need to fight. Gameness/aggression are 2 different things.

People need to realize that and give them a fair chance. Sadly its just not the case, too many times they put down 6-8 week old pups who have been "trained" to fight and there is no hope for them. As they claim. Their ignorance makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs