Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

i can't fault someone for realizing a poor fit and making the choice that is best for all involved...... and the sooner the better, imo ..... bailey was MISERABLE for the time that dog was in our household.... i could never subject her to anything like that ever again......

I can't either. In fact, I am unfortunately beginning to come to that conclusion with the rocket dog. He has been biting my children and mother. While I considered those to be nips, they have left welts and small bruises. That seems dangerous coming from a 16-month-old dog. That doesn't bode well for rehoming either, but I don't want him to be put down. I will have to figure something out.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but maybe that puppy will find a better home. Isn't Bo the first dog a re-home? There can be and are happy endings...

Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I can't believe that someone is quoting this from her blog and trying to find fault in Ms. McConnell.

I can so totally understand EXACTLY how she was feeling in this quote. I went through a similar loss a couple of years ago which effected me the same way as she described after losing a dog that I was deeply attached to. My dog's death was sudden and painful... he suffered and so did I.

I was emotionally broken - completely devastated. I felt physically ill, as well, just as she describes. I did exactly what she describes in her blog in an attempt to ease my pain. In my case, I adopted a new dog from a shelter just a few weeks after losing my dog. It didn't take away the pain of my grief and the guilt that I was feeling but it helped.

I identify with Ms. McConnell in so many ways....

How could a compassionate, dog loving person quote this from her blog and use it as an attempt to find fault in her?
I'm not faulting her. Someone mentioned that a farm dog takes years to train and someone mentioned that was why she was getting a puppy. I was pointing out that it seems like on the front end, she wasn't planning to get a puppy. That is where my confusion is.

I don't find fault with her returning the puppy that was not a right fit for her other dog. It would only cause more problems down the road. I'm simply raising additional questions that come up when reading her blog. I know she is reading this, so I hope she does respond to many of the questions that have been brought up.

I see this as a huge learning opportunity and I hope that lurkers reading her blog understand that returning a dog isn't the only option. There are other options of hiring a trainer or behaviorist, etc. I hope that she does address this is her next blog and the simple fact that when we see a red flag, we see it as a red flag for a reason.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
[ Reads. Processes. Walks away from the land mines. ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
follows D
Who wants to give me a piggy back?!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default A Personal Note to Ms. McConnell....

If you are reading this thread, I hope you realize that you have nothing to explain to most of us. I'm quite certain that you realize that the ones who want an explanation from you will never be satisfied with any "answer" that you offer.

I'm sincerely sorry that along with the burden of your recent loss, you have to contend with the added weight of cruel comments and accusations of wrongdoing from strangers.

I hope your new family member is working out well for you and that soon your grief will subside and you will be able to remember Lassie only in happy thoughts.

May God bless you,

WC out

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-13-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird47 View Post
I'm simply raising additional questions that come up when reading her blog. I know she is reading this, so I hope she does respond to many of the questions that have been brought up.
if you have questions for her, why not ask on her blog? there's no guarantee she ever read past the first post of this thread. i'm not sure what purpose all of these questions about her reaction to her dog's death and her process of getting a new dog really serve though.

and i guess i'm wrong that she really needed a dog right now, but she does need to get another border collie before her current one gets too old (i'm not sure what his age is now). and my point stands that the odds of getting a suitable working dog from a shelter are extremely low, no matter what the timeline.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I was tempted to hop on the piggyback and walk away too, but I read the blog and the comments, and fail to see why everyone's so upset? She took the puppy home, saw very quickly that it wasn't going to be a harmonious co-habitation, and made the decision to take it back to the breeder. Her older dog has overcome a lot of aggression issues, and that had to be a large part of why she made the decision she did...to protect BOTH dogs. I do agree the breeder could have been more pro-active in helping her determine a better match for her particular situation...my guess is that she didn't want to step on her toes, her being a celebrity and all. I also agree it would have been a good idea to take Will along and see who he jived with since the main reason she wanted the pup was for Will to have a companion...but humans aren't perfect, we all make mistakes and poor decisions sometimes, and it's how we handle those things that matters in the end. It's much better to admit it when it isn't a good fit and give that animal a chance to be in a situation that WILL be a good fit and where he or she will be loved and appreciated as a valued family member.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
[ Reads. Processes. Walks away from the land mines. ]
You are a wise woman! I tried to turn it around; but I'm just not a strong enough poster.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
closed for mod review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs