Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

while i was in chicago for a couple of days last week, house mate woke up one morning to a gory mess and one single bone on the kitchen table..... not even enough to figure out what it HAD been ..... he cleaned and disinfected the table 6 times by the time i got home..... he kept an envelope that had been on the table and it looked like it had been at a crime scene.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yikes! That's scary! I would definitely have freaked out too. This morning's incident has not left my brain yet, especially because I see a lot of chipmunks running around here.
Growing up I had a cat that we use to leave a window over the counter in the sink cracked for so she could come and go during the day when we were not home. We came home once to a dead bird at the front door....inside, and another time to a dead bird at the door outside. They say with cats it's a present to their owners, not sure about dogs though, or chipmunks for that matter lol

Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Bella hasn't caught anything except bees but the cat.....CW (canine wannabe) was always bringing something home. My youngest daughter let her in the house one time and noticed that she had something. She told her to drop it. Well "it" wasn't dead and it ran down the hall into a spare bedroom. My BF and DD ran after it and I ran after them. They went into the room but I just shut the door. I wasn't going in there. I got a plastic container and BF caught it. We took it outside and BF flung it into the air. Well it was a flying squirrel. It spread it's "wings" and landed on a tree. Way cool. Glad it was ok.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Bella hasn't caught anything except bees but the cat.....CW (canine wannabe) was always bringing something home. My youngest daughter let her in the house one time and noticed that she had something. She told her to drop it. Well "it" wasn't dead and it ran down the hall into a spare bedroom. My BF and DD ran after it and I ran after them. They went into the room but I just shut the door. I wasn't going in there. I got a plastic container and BF caught it. We took it outside and BF flung it into the air. Well it was a flying squirrel. It spread it's "wings" and landed on a tree. Way cool. Glad it was ok.
WHAT??

I'd have fainted.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
WHAT??

I'd have fainted.
Its bad enough to have to deal with something dead ...but...having it jump up & run through the house No thank you!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Sounds like Artie has a "small" prey drive.

My girls go for the big guys! Cats, squirrels, those big black snakes we have down here and also those big armadillos.
My girls have cornered each over the past 4 years here. I have caught my Jenny girl lab/mix tossing a big black snake in the air. I had to get a rake once to get one out of the yard. I thought she killed it but the next day it was gone from its spot where I left it so maybe it came back in the yard and she ate it!
Every time she kisses me I remember that big black snake in her mouth! YUK!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Sounds like Artie has a "small" prey drive.

My girls go for the big guys! Cats, squirrels, those big black snakes we have down here and also those big armadillos.
My girls have cornered each over the past 4 years here. I have caught my Jenny girl lab/mix tossing a big black snake in the air. I had to get a rake once to get one out of the yard. I thought she killed it but the next day it was gone from its spot where I left it so maybe it came back in the yard and she ate it!
Every time she kisses me I remember that big black snake in her mouth! YUK!
SNAKES?!?!?! Oh geez, now I'm itchy all over.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
My rottie found a little mole the year we moved to TN. Not sure how - must have dug him out of his happy home. I saw her messing around and went to see what she was up to. About that time she tossed it in the air and.......................*gulp* right down her throat. I almost yacked.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
SNAKES?!?!?! Oh geez, now I'm itchy all over.
Snakes and rattlesnakes are two different things! In San Diego, rattlesnakes are very common, especially this time of year. We have a canyon with awesome trails right behind us but haven't gone recently because everyone keeps running into rattlesnakes there! It's so bad, that people that take dogs running on the trails do a rattlesnake aversion class so that the dogs avoid these snakes. I saw my first a few weeks ago and hope to never see one again!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
According to my dogs, Artie is living the dream!

I am so happy mine have never caught a live animal, although they try. One evening we were walking them and I noticed Lanie put her head down and paused...walked a few more feet and noticed she was carrying a "squirrel crepe" (this squirrel was flatter than a pancake!) in her mouth. I guess mine tend to go for the low hanging fruit.

Glad Artie didn't get sick, and hopefully the rest of the chipmunk clan stays out of his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs