Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM

112 posts, read 522,292 times

Advertisements

We go on vacation for perhaps 3 weeks a year, so how much we spend on boarding our dog matters to us. We have a small dog (a Yorkie), who falls into the cheapest rate class thankfully.

We currently pay 11.00 a day at the local vet's office. It isn't anything fancy, but we trust them to not abuse him and to take care of feeding him.

How much do you pay??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
There was a thread regarding this recently. Here's the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-boarding.html

Our place is $50 for one dog per night. We travel pretty frequently (way more than 3 weeks/year), but it's worth every penny to know he's not locked in some cage somewhere and has free roam of someone's house.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
There was a thread regarding this recently. Here's the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-boarding.html

Our place is $50 for one dog per night. We travel pretty frequently (way more than 3 weeks/year), but it's worth every penny to know he's not locked in some cage somewhere and has free roam of someone's house.
I've looked into those places that have more free roam and what not, and the price is too prohibitive. They are usually close to 40-50 per night, which seems quite insane to me. Plus, having the vet close at hand is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Ours is not a boarding place, but a service called Sleep Over Rover. The dogs go to people's actual homes, just like they would when they are home. They sleep in their bedrooms, play in their yard, and are with them all day instead of a cage.

We don't have a vet on hand when he's with us, why would it matter when he's at the sitter's She has all the emergency info and is just as capable as we are of taking him should something happen. He loves going there and loves her and her husband, which is huge in our book. I couldn't enjoy my vacation knowing my dog is locked in some cage somewhere. His happiness is worth every penny in my book.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Ours is not a boarding place, but a service called Sleep Over Rover. The dogs go to people's actual homes, just like they would when they are home. They sleep in their bedrooms, play in their yard, and are with them all day instead of a cage.

We don't have a vet on hand when he's with us, why would it matter when he's at the sitter's She has all the emergency info and is just as capable as we are of taking him should something happen. He loves going there and loves her and her husband, which is huge in our book. I couldn't enjoy my vacation knowing my dog is locked in some cage somewhere. His happiness is worth every penny in my book.
Well that's definitely the difference between us, then. I sleep just fine either way. We just got back from an 8 night vacation, and if I spent 400 dollars boarding our small dog for those 8 nights, I think THAT would be a cause of losing sleep.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
my dogs and cats are not boarded.... if the dogs can't come with me, (which is RARE), they stay at a friend's house... or if it is just for a couple of nights, i leave them here with my house mate..... he loves them almost as much as i do..... .... and i have a licensed and bonded and experienced pet sitter come in and care for the cats.....

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM

I don't get what the point of this post is then. If you're paying $11/night, you should be happy. Do you wish you paid less or something? I don't think that's possible! My dog is my family and I care very much whether or not he's comfortable when I'm away. I wouldn't leave him if he wasn't. That's where we differ.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I don't get what the point of this post is then. If you're paying $11/night, you should be happy. Do you wish you paid less or something? I don't think that's possible!
Just wanted to compare. And in the thread you linked for me, somebody gets it for 9 dollars a night. That's outstanding.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

You also have to account for cost of living. I live in a very HCOL area, and live in an area where dogs are treated like true family members. People spend a lot of money on their pets and don't think twice about it. I'm certain places in Kansas are a lot cheaper than LA, San Diego and NYC, sine the COL is much, much lower.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
Well that's definitely the difference between us, then. I sleep just fine either way. We just got back from an 8 night vacation, and if I spent 400 dollars boarding our small dog for those 8 nights, I think THAT would be a cause of losing sleep.
$400 for 8 nights and you know that your pal is safe and happy and comfortable and in good hands?? not to bad a deal if he or she can't come with you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs