Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:59 PM

428 posts, read 809,349 times

Advertisements

I left Duluth a few years ago because of the winters, after 30 years of enduring them. I plan to return to MN, likely Duluth again, after trying out Mankato MN, Portland OR, Geneva IL, NC, even went up to scout out Williamsburg VA, Virginia Beach VA, Asheville NC, Wilmington NC, Southport NC, and now am in suburban monopoly board sprawl hell in Raleigh NC suburb (Apex NC). Duluth has it all going for it, except for the nasty long winters. So I am curious how other Duluthians deal with it, what do you do, where do you go if anywhere, do any of you snowbird and if so where? My plan is get back to Duluth, get a house again, then figure out if and where to snowbird, or if to just airbnb vacations a time or two during winters (long vacations, as in month long airbnb for the monthly discounts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,329 times
I don’t personally do this, but my parents go to a community in mcAllen, Texas. Gated community, heated pools, hot tub, pickle ball, bingo nights and other themed nights.

Mexico is just a short 35 min drive. South Padre is about and hour 15.

It’s a cute area, we enjoy going to visit.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I left Duluth a few years ago because of the winters, after 30 years of enduring them. I plan to return to MN, likely Duluth again, after trying out Mankato MN, Portland OR, Geneva IL, NC, even went up to scout out Williamsburg VA, Virginia Beach VA, Asheville NC, Wilmington NC, Southport NC, and now am in suburban monopoly board sprawl hell in Raleigh NC suburb (Apex NC). Duluth has it all going for it, except for the nasty long winters. So I am curious how other Duluthians deal with it, what do you do, where do you go if anywhere, do any of you snowbird and if so where? My plan is get back to Duluth, get a house again, then figure out if and where to snowbird, or if to just airbnb vacations a time or two during winters (long vacations, as in month long airbnb for the monthly discounts).
I go on snow hikes, take the kid ice skating, walk along Lake Superior to see the glacial formations. This winter, I am going to try cross country skiing.

I don't go anywhere because I enjoy wintertime. I have a wood burning fireplace and gas heat to stay warm during the worst days, but really like to live wintertime. I literally moved here from coastal California because I enjoy cold and snowy winters. I don't consider sunny and 75 to be ideal weather.

I think most native Duluthian (i.e. born in Duluth and not necessarily there by choice) grit their teeth and tolerate the winter or go somewhere else. For those of us here by choice, we thrive.

Please do not move here if you consider wintertime to be a bad thing. You will just be miserable.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
This is just a personal opinion, but I found that a week away to anywhere warm breaks up the winter and makes it pretty tolerable. I used to love the change of seasons and then up to Christmas. For me the most brutal months were Jan and Feb so toward the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb so we would pick that time to go. Then you had just a few weeks to endure but there were warm days mixed in so it didn't seem as hard to take, then....spring!

Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 PM

60 posts, read 134,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I go on snow hikes, take the kid ice skating, walk along Lake Superior to see the glacial formations. This winter, I am going to try cross country skiing.

I don't go anywhere because I enjoy wintertime. I have a wood burning fireplace and gas heat to stay warm during the worst days, but really like to live wintertime. I literally moved here from coastal California because I enjoy cold and snowy winters. I don't consider sunny and 75 to be ideal weather.

I think most native Duluthian (i.e. born in Duluth and not necessarily there by choice) grit their teeth and tolerate the winter or go somewhere else. For those of us here by choice, we thrive.

Please do not move here if you consider wintertime to be a bad thing. You will just be miserable.
I agree about not moving back if you don't like the nasty winters we get, you will be miserable, many months of having snow on the ground alters the human brain in bad ways, almost everyone I know is on antidepressants.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevalley View Post
I agree about not moving back if you don't like the nasty winters we get, you will be miserable, many months of having snow on the ground alters the human brain in bad ways, almost everyone I know is on antidepressants.
lol.
Well i have tried Oregon, Illinois, and am in North Carolina now... 4 years of gypsy life so far having sold my Duluth house to escape winters... and what I have learned is sometimes there is no place like home-- the place where friends, family, and social networks are. The best house in a place without one's friends and social networks can be miserable even without snow. So we decided to come back to Duluth, might not be until next June, get a house again, and learn to do things in winter and also take a couple of winter vacations each winter to break up the brutal cold that I know all too well.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
This is just a personal opinion, but I found that a week away to anywhere warm breaks up the winter and makes it pretty tolerable. I used to love the change of seasons and then up to Christmas. For me the most brutal months were Jan and Feb so toward the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb so we would pick that time to go. Then you had just a few weeks to endure but there were warm days mixed in so it didn't seem as hard to take, then....spring!
EXACTLY! In my 25 years in Duluth I think I took a winter vacation once or twice, and that was just STUPID not to have done it regularly! Now I have the means ($) to do one or perhaps two vacations somewhere warm each winter so I need to DO that! Like you said, up to Jan 1 is doable because of holidays in Nov, Dec, xmas spirit and all that. It is Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr that are brutal and drag on. Two vacations to experience warmth during those 4 months would make a world of a difference!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
.... I have a wood burning fireplace ....
Yes, that is going to be a must for me. When I build or buy a house in Duluth I am going to have a wood burning fireplace/stove in the corner of the living room!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,815 times
Ok I hope you will enjoy alot

Old 08-06-2018, 10:00 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Yes, that is going to be a must for me. When I build or buy a house in Duluth I am going to have a wood burning fireplace/stove in the corner of the living room!
Fortunately, most homes are old enough to maintain wood-burning fireplaces or stoves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth